All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Default New AMA Logo and more...

This article was from the AMA's Web Site showing their new look etc.

I like the new logo.

Article:

Old and new
Funny, we don't look 80
by AMA President Robert Rasor

Nov. 21 – Welcome to 2004, a year in which the AMA is both old and new at the same time.

This year marks the 80th anniversary for the Association, which makes us one of the oldest motorcycling organizations in the world. But at the same time, we’re updating our identity and making sure we remain firmly in touch with the needs of riders in the 21st century.

The AMA was established in 1924, when it was spun off from an industry group, the Motorcycle and Allied Trades Association (M&ATA). But our roots can be traced back even further, to the Federation of American Motorcyclists (FAM), founded in 1903.

Each of those organizations was designed to do three things: protect the rights of riders, create opportunities to go riding, and run races in a way that ensured a level playing field for competitors.

The FAM got the ball rolling in the years just after the turn of the last century, but faltered during World War I. The M&ATA took over, but quickly realized that, as a trade group, it lacked the membership component to truly represent the interests of riders.

When they created the AMA, they got the formula right. As a result, we’re still going strong through a second World War, plus Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and Iraq again. Through 14 different presidents. Through the fading of the American motorcycle industry, the rise and fall of the British, the growth of the Japanese brands, the resurgence of American style.

Throughout that history, change has been necessary to ensure the AMA’s future. Both the structure and the identity of the organization have evolved to meet changing needs.

Today, that evolution continues. We are introducing what the marketing guys call a new “brand identity.” It includes a number of elements, but the part you’ll notice most will be the new AMA logo, only the third major design change in the Association’s history.

Of course, you’re all familiar with the “star” logo we’ve used since the late 1970s. Many longtime members will also recall the original triangular logo that represented the Association’s image through its first half-century.

Any time you consider changing the visual representation of an 80-year-old organization, you have to do it carefully. The new “shield” logo gives us a fresh, new look to be sure, but it’s more than that. In fact, one important part of the new logo is the tagline that goes with it. It’s just three words: “rights. riding. racing.” Together, those define the mission of the AMA, just as they have defined the role of motorcyclist organizations going back to the time of the M&ATA and the FAM. The AMA is about protecting motorcyclists’ rights. The AMA is about riding and enjoying motorcycling. And the AMA is about good, competitive racing, whether you’re a young person just starting out or a top-level professional.

Three words: rights. riding, racing. In the coming months you will see and hear them with increasing frequency as we carry the message to a broader audience of motorcyclists: road riders and off-road riders, new and young riders, minorities and women. With more than 260,000 members, the AMA is larger now than it’s ever been, but we are committed to continued growth, because it makes us a more powerful force on behalf of the nation’s motorcyclists.

The challenge is to update our identity while respecting the history and traditions that have carried the AMA through its first 80 years. We have tried to do that with our new brand image. I think we were successful.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: New AMA Logo and more...

cool. much better than the plain old one.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Expert Class

I don't like it. It looks like they're trying too hard to be "cool".
Old 11-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Beginner Class

The loho is too wide leaving a space in the center that looks dead. If they made the "M" narrower, it would look a lot better IMO.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Beginner Class

I like "the tagline that goes with it" (according to AMA)... The three words: “rights. riding. racing.”
LOGO
Old 11-27-2003, 07:38 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Vintage Dave rant mode on..........

While the new logo is nice, wouldn't it be even nicer if the AMA spent as much time fighting for off-road rights as they are spending on their "new logo." I am damn tired of loosing ground to the greenies in what seems like every fight. The AMA didn't support Rick Sieman and the Phantom Duck in their fight to keep Barstow to Vegas alive in the 70's, they spend most of their time fighting for the rights of road riders and not off-road riders.

Of yeah, off-road riders and racing. Remember, this is the same organization that takes 40 bucks a year so that you can get an AMA card. If you live in Texas you have to buy one so you can participate in the 5 or so "sanctioned races". We have a district number but it is so disorganized that there are no points kept. Ask a bunch of the protested and disqualified sandbaggers that went to Loretta Lynn's this year how they feel about the AMA.

And now let's talk about pro racing. What a disaster. The AMA grudgingly accepted motocross in the 70's (while trying to enforce flat track rules) and has held the sport back in more cases than they have advanced it. They have had to sign away rights to the Supercross series to Clear Channel Entertainment (the radio giant who also does Monster Trucks and WWF Wrestling) because of litigation. The NPG (National Promotors Group) has rights to the outdoor "nationals" which don't dip any farther south than the Mid-West. Tell me how the 2nd most populous state (Texas) in the USA can fail to have an outdoor national? Good marketing, no way. Good exposure for the sport, no way. Any good businessman wants to get in front of as many people as possible. And check out the purses. I was racing for more purse money at local races back in the 70's than the guys racing in today's outdoor nationals are riding for. That is absolutely disgraceful. It says alot about why the gates are hard to fill at Supercross and Nationals. Where does the TV money go? When 60,000 people fill the stands at a Supercross at $25 bucks a head (1.5 million dollars), how come the winner of the race gets 5 grand?

I know the answer to that one. They spent the money designing a new logo.

You may resume your regularly scheduled programming now.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Actually Vintage Dave393, they are $35 a seat for the good ones and 10 for the crappy ones here in SLC.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody_CRF
Actually Vintage Dave393, they are $35 a seat for the good ones and 10 for the crappy ones here in SLC.
That may be true, but I think the point he was trying to get across is that the AMA is nothing other than a political entity created to make us think they are fighting for our rights as bikers. If they fight so hard for us then why do more and more riding places get closed down every year? Why is the EPA allowed to regulate machines that contribute less than than 1 percent of 1 percent of the total pollution in this country? Why doesn't the AMA support the local riders by ensuring that there are tracks everywhere for everyone to ride? Why doesn't the AMA make the sport safer for everyone by mandating the removal of double and triples which are nothing more than tables with the middle cut out? These are questions I have had for a long time and one of the reasons I refuse to join the AMA. I want to see my money put to good use and I don't believe designing a new logo and throwing out some BS marketing campaign is doing any good to protect the ridings areas that we hold so precious.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:45 PM
ATM! Pro Class

im w/ Dave on this one. The AMA is as useful to MXers as a TV is to Amish(sp?) people. The local track here doesnt even want nutun to do with em. and does it do allright for a non AMA track?
Yes! and a resounding one. Our races and freestyle events draw thousands of spectators as well as riders. We get Seth Enslow, Shane Lusk, Kdub, and others. We dont need no stinkin AMA! If it wasnt for the fact that you need AMA membership to join local orginizations i wouldnt have nutun to do with em.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Quote:
Originally posted by 04whyzee
That may be true, but I think the point he was trying to get across is that the AMA is nothing other than a political entity created to make us think they are fighting for our rights as bikers. If they fight so hard for us then why do more and more riding places get closed down every year? Why is the EPA allowed to regulate machines that contribute less than than 1 percent of 1 percent of the total pollution in this country? Why doesn't the AMA support the local riders by ensuring that there are tracks everywhere for everyone to ride? Why doesn't the AMA make the sport safer for everyone by mandating the removal of double and triples which are nothing more than tables with the middle cut out? These are questions I have had for a long time and one of the reasons I refuse to join the AMA. I want to see my money put to good use and I don't believe designing a new logo and throwing out some BS marketing campaign is doing any good to protect the ridings areas that we hold so precious.
Uh, did you see me disagree with his post? I got the point! I believe my point was only in addition to his, or a correction to help make the point.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion