All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Intermediate Class

I now have it DL'ed but barely had a chance to try it before work. Look forward to tonight. First impression is it will take some time to get used to. Im a huge Rainbow MCM2 fan, and gameplay is everybit as important as graphics, so I hope it holds up in that department.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
ATM Contributor!

Went to sleep last night before it had finished downloading.

Played a bit before work and I have mixed feelings. Its a good step above Untamed. The rider reflex seems to work well and and even on the resonably simple demo track you have to be careful how you attack corners and hit the ruts.

The terrain deformation is my favourite. Can't really see the fully affect because it's only 3 laps but I can't wait to see the sandier tracks after 10+ laps! The graphics are really nice as expected. The sounds have been improved and the bikes sound alot more realistic. The 250f sounds revvier and feels slower than the 450f which is good. I was really hoping they would include the first person view in the demo but apparently not.

Now onto the disappointing part. In some parts it still seems the bike skates across the terrain wrongly. They say it's supposed to be like this on the harder slippery terrain but on the sandy Sugar Ridge demo track there was a spot where it seems to slide a bit. Also a couple times I would get kicked sideways from the bumps which I find is great, but sometimes it would knock around so that your bike is facing 90 degrees from the track. This isn't realistic. I am hoping it's just because I haven't got used to using both control sticks together.

From my short play the bottom line is its seems like a really good game, alot better than any other MX games available. The rider reflex system and terrain deformation will give this heaps and heaps of longevity as will the DLC.

If you have Xbox Live check it out!~
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Hook'Em

I had my kid download it for me and I tryed it. I can whip it pretty easy, but trying to scrub is a PITA. Corners are preety hard to do as well. Seems like sometimes if you just flick the stick, it will whip fast. over shooting landings on the freestyle mode big time. Just seems like everything is real touchy.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Intermediate Class

First off, Im having trouble with my intenet so forgive me if this double post's ext.

But my second opinion is : I really like it and find it hard to put down. The more I play, and improve at the sticks the more realistic it becomes. I personally cannot wait untell the full game comes out but it will take practice. But so far, I love it.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 PM
ATM Contributor!

The controls are going to take some getting used to, reflex that is, but I can see it really starting to let people have their own styles!

here's probably one of the better gameplay vids i've found from just the last day.

Please note the course is just the loading screen before your event! It's a pretty cool thing to have while you wait. Which so far has been no more than 30-40 secs!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Intermediate Class

here is free download for teh computer slightly reduced graphics but other then just as good FMX Team game: Game Sloth

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

lol dont be hating
Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Intermediate Class

hey i cant find it on xbox live do u have to have GOLD?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
hey i cant find it on xbox live do u have to have GOLD?
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Corners are preety hard to do as well. Seems like sometimes if you just flick the stick, it will whip fast. over shooting landings on the freestyle mode big time. Just seems like everything is real touchy.
I only got to play the game for a little bit before I had to leave for classes this morning but I had trouble with that too. I read online that you really only gotta use the left stick for big, sharp turns. If it's a gradual turn, just lean on the right stick and you'll get through it fine.

That vid Aus_Rider posted was sick! I love the front flip at the end! I'm gonna try to bust out front flips and 360s and maybe even a TP roll tonight! hahaha. I wish I had a way to video it.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Expert Class

Finally got my ps3 back, got to play the demo today. Only did one race but I thought it was much harder then Untamed. Its cool, the bikes sound better, it requires much more player control of the rider to go fast, the dirt changes, corners build up and rut up really bad where you can cross rut or pop out of the berm and crash. Not sure if I really like it cause I dont rule at it yet, but so far it seems to have some serious potential
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobish View Post
Finally got my ps3 back, got to play the demo today. Only did one race but I thought it was much harder then Untamed. Its cool, the bikes sound better, it requires much more player control of the rider to go fast, the dirt changes, corners build up and rut up really bad where you can cross rut or pop out of the berm and crash. Not sure if I really like it cause I dont rule at it yet, but so far it seems to have some serious potential
It gets better (and you'll get better) the longer you play. lol no worries. It took us all awhile to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's amazing! The controls are starting to come second nature to me. I still have some issues here and there, but it's all about crafting the skill at the game, y'know?

I saw some tips today on the blog for Reflex. Might help you out. I found them pretty informative:

“Don’t make quick movements with the sticks. It’s all about being smooth. Learn when to turn or when to do both. Oh and breathe.” -RBW_Triton

“Keeping it pinned is not going to give you the best lap times…learn when and where to apply the brakes for faster lap times.” –RBW_2Fast

“Go slow, to go fast. You just have to be smooth. Be gentle with the joysticks, ease onto the gas and brakes, and don’t be afraid to coast. Flow around the track, set up wide for the corners so you can make a nice smooth arc. Keep up your momentum, and don’t clutch till you’re securely in a rut/berm or in a straight line.” - RBW_Checkerz448

“When throwing down a sick whip, remember you’ll need to bring it back to avoid eating a face full of mud. To bring a whip back, tap both sticks in the opposite direction you are whipping it and pin the throttle. The physics engine will help you re-align to the path you were heading and ride away clean.” -RBW_Checkerz448

“As for preloading, it’s done differently now; you can stretch jumps out by pulling back with the right stick until you peak, or you can also push forward to suck up the jump a bit. Then comes scrubs and whips.” -RBW_Triton

Congrats on getting your PS3 back and running again, btw!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Beginner Class

In between playing the game, i've been looking up more screens of the game to change up my desktop wallpaper. I found these and don't think i've seen 'em posted anywhere else. They weren't even on the game's site (as far as I could see). So thought i'd post them here. lol:

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Beginner Class

Has anyone seen this trailer yet for the demo?:
Daydream Reflex Trailer
(I wouldn't click if there were young'ins around, btw. lol)

It's pretty funny yet awesome all at the same time and not just for the game footage. hahaha you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Expert Class

Been playing the demo all week. Getting the hang of it, I think some of the things they did to give realistic riding pysics lead some really unrealistic crashes and fall downs that frustrate me to no end. Over all though the graphics are just unreal, the game play is fun when you figure it out and I am really looking forward to the full game coming out. Hey if anyone wants to add me on ps3 my user name is racer808
Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Beginner Class

I get what you mean on the crashes. It can get frustrating. Mostly when i'm doing the nationals course and one of the other player barely tap me and then I totally wipeout. I just get really pissed off at the computer riders after that. At least I end up getting back on and winning anyway. haha
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Beginner Class

Everyone been off busy playing or riding? heh. Saw a great review up for Reflex!

XBOX Addict Review: MX vs ATV Reflex

Man, I wish I had the chance to try the game out before anyone else! Either way, he gave it a good review and at least he let us in on some new info. The Multiplayer looks like it'll be awesome! My eyes bugged out though when I saw there'd be a total of 41 tracks. That plus the potential DLC tracks, this is gonna be the best game ever!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Beginner Class

There's 2 more sweet reviews up of Reflex. I'm really happy that it's getting some great reviews. I don't think I could be disappointed by it!

Here are the reviews if anyone wants to check 'em out:

Play Magazine: 9.5
Game Focus: 9.2

I just had to show off this screenshot from the Play review. Really shows off the terrain deformation good:

Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Expert Class

Only 3 more hours till I can go home and play the full version. Picked up the game over lunch, been trying to find excuses to leave early since..........
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobish View Post
Only 3 more hours till I can go home and play the full version. Picked up the game over lunch, been trying to find excuses to leave early since..........
I called in sick. lol although that's partly because I am sick. Not sick enough to play some video games though. I'm really impressed and liking it so far. Everything is just what I was expecting and maybe even then some. After playing on that rough sand track in the demo, it was nice getting to try terrain that was a little easier. haha

Let me know what you think of the game when you try it.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Expert Class

well crap, I wrote a big write up on the game and my thoughts and ATM must have timed me out and I lost it, and I am not writing it again. Good game, everyone who rides should own, but its not without its faults
Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Expert Class

so I got the game i really like it. The rider reflex system is pretty awsome but for most people i think will take a little time to figure out. I have it for the Xbox 360 and the graphics are awsome on it. Also Ive noticed the physics engine on it is pretty close to real life riding, with concern to breaking, gas'n it in the air, hitting the breaks to bgring the nose down and all that stuff. Gone are the days of just holding the gas button down the whole race. So if you play like you ride you actually might get the hang of it quicker. I would totaly recomend this to anyoen who rides.

I give this game

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion