All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Motocycle Study Package?

Hey everyone. I'll get right down to the point. At age 13 I hit the Dirt Bike craze..I wanted one..My parents have been the type to make me earn my stuff and work for it..which I thank them greatly for..makes me appreciate my hard work more and appreciate stuff that I buy. So after drooling at dirt bike pictures and dreaming of riding for 3 years...I got a job about 2 weeks after I turned 16 years old.

It was at a local grocery store where I worked for 2 1/2 years or so...Started at a whopping $5.15 an hour..when I left around the 2 1/2 year mark I was only up to $7.45 an hour. I worked hard and bought my first two bikes with that job. I then moved on...as it was just a dead end job anyway and worked for around 2 months at a Machine Shop making $7.00 and hour. Business got slow and he could no longer work me 5 days a week and only 1 or 2 days..this did not pay what little bills I had then so I moved on.

I then got a job at Crown Honda in Charlotte,North Carolina where I worked for around 8 months. Started and ended making $8.25 an hour. I worked in the parts dept there and what I thought was gonna potentially lead me to a good future was actually not so. It was another dead end job. The machine shop wasn't...I had alot of potential there and it had a REAL potential to pay well but only working 1 to 2 days a week wasn't cutting it.

I then went to work for US Airways which is where I am currently and will be at the 6 Month mark in a few weeks on November 18th. The guys that have been doing this for the past 20 years are making good money...but anyone that is coming into the scene now has not future and you top out after about 6 years at $12.00 an hour.

I am 20 years old and want a future for myself..I want to wake up everyday and look forward to my job..I have never had that feeling..and I want that so badly..Along with that I want to make good money. The only two things that interest me are Motorcycles and Trains.

I have been into Trains since I was around 4 to 5 years old. I have been trying to get on with Norfolk Southern but am having no luck. Its hard to find anything out with a Railroad company. Other than that and being a Motorcycle Mechanic..NOTHING else is interesting to me. I have not went to college..I do have a my High School Diploma but thats all as far at that goes..I was at work tonight...went on my lunch break and was just thinking to myself that I gotta get out of this and do something that I want to do. Time is running out and I gotta do something now..I can't just keep living my life unhappy. The only time I am remotely even happy is on my weekend when I get to go out with my friends and ride dirt bikes. Thats the only time I grin from ear to ear. I have not been a real happy person since age 16..my attitude has went downhill..just overall I am not a happy person. I find myself wanting to call in sick all the time to get out of work but I can't do that. But I hate my job..Hate the enviroment I work in,etc. If the money was better it would make it more Tolerable.

All my good thoughts are drowned out by the thought of my job. I am tired of living this way. I see people that are so succesful with what they do and they love what they do and make good money. Thats what I want.

Tonight I have done more searches..checked back with Norfolk Southern again..they have no updated there job postings for next week yet so I started researching Motorcyle Schools again.

As bad as it sounds...I don't have the funds to go to MMI and have to live in Flordia or Arizona for a year. I make a whopping $8.44 an hour with US Airways. I found this on the internet a little while ago before I started typing this message and wanted to share it with you guys to see what you think. Its an at home curiculum and they send you all the info to study,etc. Afterwards you get a diploma,etc if you pass the curiculum..I don't know how much this program garuntees you a job afterwards. Some stats on this,

The total program if you do Montly Payments is $698.00

If you pay it off at once it drops to $613.00. If you graduate you get a $200.00 rebate.

Heres the address..look over this for me and let me know what you think..if you think it would be worthwhile and might help me get a motorcycle mechanic job that pays well let me know..I am still going to read about it. Let me know if you think its worth discussing with my parents or not. I got excited about it when I was reading..but usually when I get excited about something everything goes wrong....see..thats my negative attitude for you..I used to be such a positive person...but haven't been since I was 17 or so..and its just getting worse..

http://www.educationdirect.com/motor....html?hs99~123

http://www.educationdirect.com/motor...amOutline.html
Old 11-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: Motocycle Study Package?

If you think you can do it, then do it.

The only question I have, is what kind of diploma do you get? Is a motorcycle shop going to look at it and say, HUH? You didn't go to MMI? Just wondering what the validity of their diploma is? Do shops recognize it? Is it the same diploma you would get from MMI?

Otherwise, if you think you can, and it's what's going to make you happen, then do it.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_CRF
The only question I have, is what kind of diploma do you get? Is a motorcycle shop going to look at it and say, HUH? You didn't go to MMI? Just wondering what the validity of their diploma is? Do shops recognize it? Is it the same diploma you would get from MMI?
Woody,Thats what I am trying to find out..I am going to call them and get more info on that. If shops don't recognize it then there won't be any point..I will find out and let you guys know.

Thanks Johnathon.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Sounds good to me. As long as you'll do it (and not just waste your $$$), and it's the same thing you would get from MMI, then

Good Luck Matt!
Old 11-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_CRF
Sounds good to me. As long as you'll do it (and not just waste your $$$), and it's the same thing you would get from MMI, then

Good Luck Matt!
Thanks alot Johnathon .

From the way they talk they actually send you motors,etc to work on..so you still get the hands on...send you tools as well that you can keep. Theres still more info to be had though before I woudl actually put the money down in a few months. I like to try and do as much research as possible if you know what I mean...its like buying a simple clutch lever..I have to search to see what the best one is :........................
Old 11-05-2005, 02:06 AM
ATM Contributor!

Sounds like a good program if it's recognised and regarded as high as a MMI course.

Let us know how you go, as others could be interested in going this route.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Semper Fidelis

Check the fine print and then check for Community colleges

Matt,
Please check this correspondance sourse carefully. Many of the mail order technical courses will hit you with bills for the tools and the equipment they send you to work on. I am not saying this is the case with your choice here, but please be careful. Look for accreditation by a regional Technical School governing body. Get a list of graduates and call them. Find out if they got hired and how mucch total cash they laid out.

We have a technical adult school operated by the local school district and a Junior College that both have auto and small engine mechanic courses. John is attending a new Technical High School and working at a car dealership as an intern. $8.00 /hour and he gets class credits and a grade. Most community colleges and trade schools have courses available.

John's goal is an Assocoates Degree form the Junior College and then MMI at Orlando. We have a member there now and DBD's son Jack starts in Arizona in August. he is doing scholarship and sponsorship research now. You can get jobs that let you wrk and take classes. I wisy you all the best; maybe this correspondance course is the real thing and you can achieve your dream. P.M. me if you want to talk about options and to talk to John.

As a matter of fact, call if you wish. Our home phone is 850.587.6026 and my cell number is 850.982.3155. Call collect to save your self some money. You can reach your goal. Monica and I worked full time and went to school full time. it is doable and you seem to have the drive to do things you want .

Regards,
Bill
Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 AM
Pro Class

old post!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion