All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Cool Mind games

A while ago my son broke his ankle, while he was at the top of his game. Now we are back at it again and he has been racing the last 2 weekends. First up i wasn't expecting to much, but i thought if he gets a good start he will do okay. He was 3rd through the first corner, but dropped back to 12th by lap 2, he finally settled down and found some rythem and finished the back end of the race off, and got back up to 6th by the finish. Now anyone that races knows that the first lap is where you have to do the corners at 110 percent to be in the ball park for the rest of the race, and then maintain lap times within about 2 seconds to the finish. As we have transponder timing it's easy to get a guide on your speed and fitness over 20 miniutes.

As it stands after 2 rounds he won't contest the early laps, but will ride the whole race at one pace, so his fitness is okay but his mind isn't. This is something that i'am sure everyone has dealt with that races, after coming back from injury. It sure is frustrating for both of us, as i know he can go better in the early part, and he knows he's not commiting to the early battle by not attacking the corners harder. But it's just a waiting game till he's ready to do it, what makes it worse is when people keep asking you, what's wrong with your boy he's normally right up there! Anyway we will battle on i'am sure he will hit his straps before to long
Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Mind games

While I'm not a racer, I found in my past that you are only as good as you practice. Is he still going hard in practice?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by okierebel View Post
While I'm not a racer, I found in my past that you are only as good as you practice. Is he still going hard in practice?
He's never been one to go out hard in practice on the first few laps, he has a good look at the track first and builds his momentom so he does his fast laps in the back half. He also likes this because he gets to pass slower riders and try different lines in corners, he may use during the race.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
ATM Contributor!

I wouldnt worry, the more he races and tests his ankle, the more confidence he'll get and he'll be back up to speed. Sometimes the mental stuff is tuffer to get over than the injuries.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion