All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
ATM! Pro Class

What the heck was this thread high-jacked????

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Rockin A class

I dis agree big time with drinking and riding
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Intermediate Class

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrm250 View Post
Dunno Fro.....that Bright Green could be pretty intimidating too!!!! Either are great bikes......and wouldnt mind owning either
Do you ride a fourstroke.?? If you said yes then practice what ya preach.. You could own a CR or KX500 if you stopped spending the money on your fourstroke...!!

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodging_roost View Post
What the heck was this thread high-jacked????

Thanks
Scott
OOps, I think so. I did not do it. Sorry lol
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM
ATM! Addict

sorry dodger we were all just trying to keep it from being boring. I mean, how exciting can our teetotalling riding habits be anyway?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Beginner Class

Default I agree...safety first!

B'safe Cold ones AFTER the ride!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp View Post
sorry dodger we were all just trying to keep it from being boring. I mean, how exciting can our teetotalling riding habits be anyway?

I guess the reason I brought this up was the frustration I feel YEARLY when memorial day rolls around and the local news station (KSL) runs the same STUPID story about the dangers of ATV's and of course they find the biggest n00bs not wearing helmets, double up riding, and drinking.

These things just BURN me up and all though they do not impact me directly with their stupid actions, their stupid actions impact the sport I love when they start closing riding area's and placing all kinds of restrictions (that should be obvious) to the general public that are just crazy.

I dearly love this sport, I have been doing it for 32 years now and I can tell you without it I would not be who I am today and I would not have near the memories.

Please everyone be safe out there and keep your family and friends safe.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
ATM! Addict

OK how many choruses did you want the choir (that would be the rest of us who already agreed that you should not drink and ride) to sing? Get back to me when you have been at it 20 years longer than you have, I will still be riding and you will then have as much time on the trails as I do presently. Nice that you brought it up. It would be nicer if things were different too.

Doreymeefo...................
Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Novice Class

drinking after is perfect... while riding your taking other peoples life and safety into your impaired hands....
not cool.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Intermediate Class

Hey Scott you have every right to feel the way you do. I do have to admit that before I became a parent i was a little on the irresponsible side when riding, only wore a helmet when riding would drink a few beers but nothing to the point of where it gave you the "Liquid bravery". Now that i am a proud papa of 2 boys, I am fully responsible and safe with my boys when out riding....no short cuts in gearing up no dirinking. I take my 9yr old out to ride at this hot spot and my son asked me the other day why we were sitting off to the side waiting and watching other people ride instead of us out there playing with them. I reverted the question back on him by asking " Son, when you look around at all these people riding, what all do you see? What have I been teaching you even when we are not on our bikes?" My son looks around and he points out this little kid on 50cc quad and says " that kid has no gear on and can get hurt bad". I said "ok, what else?" He looks around and says "Dad, nobody has a helmet on". He was absolutely correct, there was at minimum 50 people on quads and bikes with no gear on at all, their kids had no gear..My son and I were the only ones there with gear or even a helmet. I didn't expect my son to pick up on the heavy drinking going on and I wasn't about to explain that to him either....atleast not yet anyway. I told my son that these people are not bad people but they are proving to be irresponsible with their toys, their lives and other people lives. My son suggest we leave that area and go ride somewhere else that is safer....I was proud of him for suggesting that!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_NM1 View Post
Hey Scott you have every right to feel the way you do. I do have to admit that before I became a parent i was a little on the irresponsible side when riding, only wore a helmet when riding would drink a few beers but nothing to the point of where it gave you the "Liquid bravery". Now that i am a proud papa of 2 boys, I am fully responsible and safe with my boys when out riding....no short cuts in gearing up no dirinking. I take my 9yr old out to ride at this hot spot and my son asked me the other day why we were sitting off to the side waiting and watching other people ride instead of us out there playing with them. I reverted the question back on him by asking " Son, when you look around at all these people riding, what all do you see? What have I been teaching you even when we are not on our bikes?" My son looks around and he points out this little kid on 50cc quad and says " that kid has no gear on and can get hurt bad". I said "ok, what else?" He looks around and says "Dad, nobody has a helmet on". He was absolutely correct, there was at minimum 50 people on quads and bikes with no gear on at all, their kids had no gear..My son and I were the only ones there with gear or even a helmet. I didn't expect my son to pick up on the heavy drinking going on and I wasn't about to explain that to him either....atleast not yet anyway. I told my son that these people are not bad people but they are proving to be irresponsible with their toys, their lives and other people lives. My son suggest we leave that area and go ride somewhere else that is safer....I was proud of him for suggesting that!
Now that my friends is a GREAT Father moment! to you!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_393 View Post
Now that my friends is a GREAT Father moment! to you!
Yup that was awesome... I know my wife has already picked up on it and does not like to go places that are not "monitored" if that is even the right word... She prefers state parks like Jordan River OHV and places that actually have a "small" fee associated with them as it tends to weed out... "people who are are proving to be irresponsible with their toys, their lives and other people lives."

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Novice Class

I'm not gonna lie, I have ridden with some liquid bravery in me before when I was first getting into the sport. Only place I would do this was out at Glamis sand dunes. That use to be the thing to do. You would ride out to the secret bar (boardsmanville) under wash 10, drink a few pitchers, and then dune it back. I must say, I am very lucky to have not crashed into anybody and hurt them or myself. Now that I am older and wiser (30...LOL) I find it REALLY stupid to be out there doing that. I lost ALOT of riding time on my trips to the desert because I wanted to drink as well as ride. It's definately ALOT more fun to be able to ride all day and then drink afterwards around the campfire. MORE RIDING, LESS DRINKING!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
ATM! Addict

Chris: I think you are on the right track with your own kids. Somehow it hit me not to condemn others for what they do, but rather the act itself. As your kids age, it will make it easier for them to listen to you if you dont' condemn friends etc as bad for what they do, but if they are indulging in risky behavior that you point out that the "things they do" can be bad for them. It is a narrow margin, but saying "smoking is bad for anyone" beats saying that "Joe smokes and he is stupid".
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hey being a parent in general is hard any way you slice it.... there are 100's of receipts for success and none of them are close to the same.

Love your kids keep them close and safe and most of all enjoy the time you have with them.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Intermediate Class

OSSAGP - I see your point but none of those riders out there my friends. I'm like others out here....all my riding buddies "Gear Up" regardless and i think it has to do with my friends and i have all raced at some point in our life so it becomes second nature to do so. While we were out there we saw this young guy early 20's come flying by with his girlfriend on the back of his 660 Raptor and she was holding on the rear fenders. They went flying up the big sand dune as the reached the top they got some air and off she went flat on her back. The sand is like Glamis sand so it was really soft for her but the guy made it a good 30yds away before he realized he lost her. It was just another point for me to show my son, what if there was rock up there that she could have hit her head on? What if there was several quads following them up the dune? My son is still learning and all i can do is teach him with safety and care so that he doesn't end up getting hurt badly by not being safe or too lazy to gear up.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Ossa makes a great point as far as parenting goes. I fall into the "he's a moron" category too often myself. I need to work on that for sure.

Chris, I think the process of running through what happened logically and helping them to simply connect the dots between what happened and why it happened is a valuable lesson/skill. One that not everyone has... So nice job.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Intermediate Class

Thanks Woody! I think Dodging_Roost said it best...Love your kids keep them close and safe and most of all enjoy the time you have with them.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM
ATM! Pro Class

On a totally selfish tack here.
The duffasses that ride while intoxicated, whether they hurt someone or themselves, are just one more ride to the hospital that gets logged in the books, and that is used against the rest of us when it comes to closing riding areas down.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Age is a state of Mind

No question, riding while drinking is bad for all of us.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion