All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Novice Class

Default knee braces

I know I am only a BEG and C rider but i was thinking about them! I been talking to mom and she said it good to have them. So the next step is going to the doc and see if he will surescibe me a pair. So these are the ones I am looking at CTi2s or astrisk. What your input on this.

Thanks
Randy
Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: knee braces

Just got a call tonight saying my asterisks are in. I'll ride with them this weekend and post back about how they feel. But your mom's right. They are a good idea. They won't prevent every inury but they will prevent some. I'll post back as soon as I get my first ride in.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Intermediate Class

I got a pair of asterisks two years ago. They are very comfortable to wear and after a few laps you will not even know you are wearing them. I wouldn't ride without them now.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 AM
ATM Contributor!

Welcome to ATM!

You can't go wrong with either the Cti's or the Asterisks. I have the A's and it took me a little longer than a few laps to get used to them, but I like them. Unfortunately, I did manage to tear my knee up pretty bad while using them. The way I look at it, "it certainly could have been worse without them". A lot of controversy here; but I feel there is not a brace on the market that will prevent every knee injury. Its easy to limit side to side movement, but its the twisting motion that is hard to restrict and notorious for ACL and meniscus damage. Almost impossible to prevent.

Cti2's are a medically approved custom fit brace, Asterisks are off-the-shelf and not medically approved. It is possible, but difficult for most insurance to accept a script for a non-coded brace. On the other hand, the C's are coded and approved, but they are custom fit. The majority of insurers will not cover a custom fit brace without a good reason. MX is NOT : a good reason. I was just fitted for the Cti2's. They actually casted my leg in fiber-glass and sent the mold in for an exact fit. Only to later find out my insurance denied it. They even tried to make me pay for the fitting If you have the cash or your insurance will spring for it, I'd say the Cti2's; cash price is about $1500ea. If not, Asterisks ($500/pair) or the EVS line ($?) would be an excellent choice.

BTW, don't forget the neck brace/cushion. EVS makes a nice one for less than $40. I've heard it not only helps protect the neck, but also would help prevent collarbone injury. Maybe, maybe-not, but for that price, its worth it.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Novice Class

The main resone I the insurents would help becuase in the pass 3 year I been to the doc for my knrees hurting. So I would fig that it would help me if they look at the best records. Also the cool thing is my knee doc used to right MX and play ride but got to old for it. So i bet he would understand better the most doc. Also do knee braces subport the whole knee or just the sides?

Thanks
Randy
Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11023
The main resone I the insurents would help becuase in the pass 3 year I been to the doc for my knrees hurting. So I would fig that it would help me if they look at the best records. Also the cool thing is my knee doc used to right MX and play ride but got to old for it. So i bet he would understand better the most doc. Also do knee braces subport the whole knee or just the sides?

Thanks
Randy
Randy,

First of all I would like to welcome you to ATM and I hope you visit the forums and post often bro!

If you could in the future, before you hit the submit button for your post, go back and proof read for gramar/typos. It makes it much easier for the rest of us to understand what you are talking about.

Oh and as for the braces....I have never heard anything bad about either company.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Beginner Class

How do people get insurance to pay for CTI2 without any actual knee injury?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
ATM Contributor!

Okay Randy, got my first ride in with the Asterisk braces. I don't ride trees that often but that's what I rode today. GNARLY workout!! I rode for 5 hours and have no marks on my legs from the braces. And yes, I did wear the under-sleeves. I noticed no limitation in movement until about the last hour. There are several adjustments on the braces and being patient in finding your specific "fit" will be the key. It was a hassle to unstrap my boots, lower my riding pants and turn the screws but it was the perfect answer to keeping the braces from slipping ever so slightly down my legs. Once this was done, I was back to complete range of motion. Also bear in mind that I was riding through very wet creeks and TONS of tight turns through some brand new trails laid out by an old-time trail rider. I'm going to get along very well with my new braces. One other thing about them slipping down a little. A tight fit on your two upper boot straps is important. But I suspect if I hadn't ridden through so much water, I wouldn't even have needed to adjust them at all.
So there's my initial report. Hope it helps. I will certainly learn more about little details as I wear them more but it's all good so far.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion