All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Pro Class

Default Just wondering...

I was just reading all about "Chillin" Hillin and have seen some other posts on here and heard of alot of people getting hurt very bad riding mx. I was just wondering if hearing stuff like this ever makes you guys think about quitting riding or selling your bike. It really scares me of getting hurt real bad, was just wondering how you all feel.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Just wondering...

Yeah it is scary but riding gets under your skin and you just hae to do it. I just take it slow and don't really go beyond my ability very often.

How long have you been riding? Welcome to ATM!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by huffdaddy70
I was just wondering if hearing stuff like this ever makes you guys think about quitting riding or selling your bike.
i've wondered this myself before and thought about how'd i'd feel after an injury bigger than the normal bumps and bruises. when i blew my knee out a few weeks back it turns out that my first thought didn't have anything to do with selling my bike, it was wondering how long it's going to take to heal so that i can get back on. of course there are people that get hurt a lot worse that may feel differently about it and who's to say i wouldn't if i had to go through something worse, but that's just my experience. it's a price we pay to play. you can do the best you can to ride safely, get the gear you need, wear it everytime you ride, and don't take chances you're not willing to take possible consequences from ... and that's about all you can do.

-Z
Old 12-24-2003, 09:21 AM
ATM! Addict

Welcome to ATM huffdaddy this is the best place on the net to gather info and share info and knowledge that you might have.

In answer to your question for me is no. It doesn't make me want to sell my bike and quit. This is an inherently dangerous sport you decide how much danger you put yourself in by deciding your riding speed and style.

If you were just trail riding slowly the chances of you getting hurt are quite minimal. The faster you ride the higher the danger level goes. That is a decision we all have to make for ourselves.

I for one enjoy it too much to quit because somebody else got hurt. I am cautious when I ride however that didn't keep me from cracking some ribs. Its all part of the game.

On that note check out the raffle going on for the YZ450F there is a link here at ATM. If you participate in this raffle you will be helping a fellow rider James Hillin who was paralized in a motocross accident. Machster the gentleman who is behind the raffle will donate $1000 to the Hillin fund at the end of the ticket sales. There are approx 200 tickets left so lets all go buy a ticket and get the raffle sold out and lets see who the lucky joe is that wins the bike.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Intermediate Class

no, I dont think i could ever give up my bike I would miss it sooo bad. you here storys like this all the time and it does make you think but I always ride within my ability. None of us can say we ride safe enough to never fall off though we all push ourselves every now and again and chances are we will all fall off some time or another. We all just hope we don't hurt ourself badly.
I have fell off a few times but never had any major injury or broke anything.

Yet!!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:38 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Re: Just wondering...

Quote:
Originally posted by psyklone
it's a price we pay to play. you can do the best you can to ride safely, get the gear you need, wear it everytime you ride, and don't take chances you're not willing to take possible consequences from ... and that's about all you can do.

-Z
Yep, I agree 100% Zack. Everyone of us knows the chance we take when we swing a leg over our bikes, all you can do is ride the best you can in the safest way possible.....And haul butt.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Intermediate Class

man...this is really funny for me right now to read this...I race offshore boats professionally...right now there are some people CRYING about we need to slow 'em down! too dangerous...maybe more people would come back if it was safer...Z summed it up perfect!:" don't take chances you're not willing to take possible consequences from"...do I think about it...yeah...I ice climb and have these horrifying nightmares about falling really bad and living...I wake up in the tent really spooked...but, I have to say that as soon as I swing that axe, all is forgotten and I'm back pushing really hard again. the people that can't put it totally aside when that engine fires, that flag drops, or when you take that first step will never be the same.

we had a racer die this past year...after that many quit saying it was too dangerous...the boats were not safe...somehow the boat they were racing for 5 years changed? maybe it drove it home for them?...I think it's just REALLY naive to think that what we are doing out there is safe. funny, while they are trying to sort out the rules for 2004 and all the BS political ****...Our team has stopped testing for 2004 due to all this crap and possible changes...so what do I do, I start riding arena-cross...I feel old and busted today from last night's hard get off! but, like Z said, I'm really only thinking about next time out!!!

after all these years of abusing myself hard and no matter how hard it is to get out of bed, I can't imagine changing my ways...I say I should, but, I don't!...at least my new wife understands!...people always ask me why I race or climb...my answer is; if you have to ask, I can't explain it!

it's a really good thread you have started here!

Last edited by audacity; 12-24-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Da Bunny

After breaking my back last November, my first thought was selling my bike and getting out of it. That lasted maybe 1 week. The thought of becoming permanantly injured scared the crap out of me but it also made me realize that I could be paralyzed or worse just by walking down the road.

We realize the dangers and must accept that it might happen to us, but we can't let fear rob us of "living". I choose this lifestyle because it is what drives me and keeps me happy and excited.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:38 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I have to agree, I signed onto this knowing the danger. I love the sport too much to give it up because of thoughts of injuries. I ride at my level and try not to ride over my head. I look at my son riding and tend to be more concerned with his saftey , than that of mine. He is C rider and is more likley to take a chance than I. But same goes, he is aware of danger and hopefully will use his head. You never know whats around the next corner or over the next jump. Kinda like life in general. Thats the risks we take.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Intermediate Class

funny...I'm looking at two threads...one offshore...one mx...one wanting someone else to regulate what is safe(er) for them...the other (mx) is filled with people taking responsibility for their actions and realizing the only one that is going to make the bikes slower or safer are the ones riding them!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Aint we cool
Old 12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Class

Well I usually get hurt more not riding then riding. The other night me and friend took out a mini bobcat to kill these woops that quders made and blocked things off so quaders couldnt get it. Well when he picked up the one tree he didnt give me a chance to get of the machine so it started picking up my foot and crushed it between the frame and the bucket of the bobcat. It's kinda odd my toes bent and so did the rear of my ankle and those dont hurt it feels like i pulled something. What really made me mad was when I was hangin up side down he was laughing his *** off and didnt help me at all. Hate that crap when youre in pain all youre dumb friends just laugh.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:16 PM
cha cha

The thought of getting hurt real bad does scare me. But the thought of missing out on something I love to do scares me worse. Yes...the possibility of getting hurt is there, but, you can get hurt doing anything. I try to stay within my limits, but at the same time, I know the chance of getting hurt is always there. I can't NOT ride....I'm addicted, it's in my blood. Keeto has something in his sig line that about sums it up... "I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living." For me...riding is something that makes me feel alive.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:16 PM
ATM! Pro Class

This is an older article, but it makes alot of sense.

Goverment Bans MX
Old 12-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Intermediate Class

that's really funny considering I am usually the one do'n the laugh'n...what's that saying??: "it's all fun and games till someone get hurt,,, then it's hilarious!"

don't feel bad....after I CRAWLED off the track...managed to get one open. only to find a bunch of kids, not a one older than 16, going; that awesome dude, I saw it all!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:22 PM
ATM! Pro Class

An Excellant website run by my friend Rich Daly of DynoPort. This is just another reason I support DP...He is not just out for your money, but has a true interest of your safety and that of the sport's.

MotocrossJumps.com

Last edited by Tdub; 12-24-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:37 PM
ATM! Pro Class

That is a great site. I have some comments I will post there after yhe holidays, about flagging. Just some experiences I have had.
I put this site in my favs. Thanks FFRacing11x
Old 12-24-2003, 04:55 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by kdxchar
The thought of getting hurt real bad does scare me. But the thought of missing out on something I love to do scares me worse.
Very nicely said kdxchar. I get scared sometimes too, and i think its normal to. Everyone falls, and everyone gets hurt once and a while. Sometimes seriously, sometimes not. Its all part of the game. Being scared of that is normal. But being a bit nervous can be a good thing. You tend to be a bit more cautious, and take your time on your bike more. If you rush into a 50' jump, you might get hurt. Somethings are out of out control, and sometimes you cant avoid it. But you can always do you best to stay safe. If you take it slow, and ride within your ablilities, then you should be fine.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Keetoman393
We realize the dangers and must accept that it might happen to us, but we can't let fear rob us of "living". I choose this lifestyle because it is what drives me and keeps me happy and excited.
I agree. My mother died in an automobile accident in 96 and the only thing that makes it easier is knowing that she lived her life to the fullest. She did everything she wanted to do in life and never let the dangers keep her from doing anything. And in the end it was a simple drive home from work.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion