All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Intermediate Class

Default JUST VENTING ABOUT LOCAL SHOP

Im sure you have heard it all a buch of tims but here i go
Ok first i took my bottom end apart after a meltdown. My piston shattered and cracked my cases. Anyway I took them to a shop where Iknew the owner and mechanic.

I removed the top end, pv s@#t, and kickstart **** (opps).
Then i took the rest to the local shop. That was fine (lol) i got my cases fixed and ordered a new crank. Well i waS waiting for it to be assembled(getting right antsy) I received a call.
"I have to order some tools" ( i was like ok whatever get my **** together)
3 weeks later he told me that hes going to send my bottom end to the local honda dealer because he had to wait for a "special tool" (turns out that it was to pull the crank into the bearing and I though he had everthing he needed : ) Hes like yep theyll have it ready buy the weekend. NOT
So I called the honda house and asked about my motor. this is what i got
"yeah just a second they were suppost to do that on tuesday( this is wedsday)"
I wait
he says "yeah its together but were waiting for Luke(mechanic from other shop) to bring the bolts in to us"
I say " WHAT F@#king bolts'
"Your case bolts"
Im like "what the @#$$k (pardon my french) "
So it turns out that one of the shops lost all the bolts.
I wait a week for them to order them. Everthing is set lol. Getting my mother to pick the motor up after work(hehee).
Well I get it home and its missing the main gear, and a bunch of bolt and washers.
IM P#$SSED@!!!!
Moral of the story?? Im still waiting after at least 2 months!! Do everything youself!!! AGAIN IM PISSED!!
PS im sorry moderators but I am upset. If upi feel tje need to edit this go ahead but please dont' delete it!!.:yum
MAN SUMMERS OVER AND STILL NO BIKE!! DAMB!!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:45 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: JUST VENTING ABOUT LOCAL SHOP

That's shocking! The mechanic sounds like a complete oaf!
I mean, even I have got past the losing bolts stage! They are being paid for what they do and cannot afford mistakes in there profession.

Can you ring up Honda and complain? If they are a registered genuine Honda parts stockist then they are connected to Honda Motor Corp. and are giving them a bad reputation.

Iam sorry to hear about your troubles, mate! I hope it all works out and you can get back out there roosting soon!!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 PM
JOATMON

Dang, quite the opposite from the experience I had at my dealer! I agree, I would rant and raise he... well you know until they cut you some slack on the price, threw in a few parts for free, etc. That is plain REDICULOUS.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Expert Class

Sounds like a messed up dealer, but dealing with already taken apart bikes is a major pain. I say finish the job or dont take it apart...

Either way, thats still messed up.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:39 PM
ATM! Pro Class

That's no good. I would go see the shop owner if I were you. You'll probably be well compensated for your trouble.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Intermediate Class

dang man that bites, i would be down their asap raising cain i mean 2 months, thats rediculous.i coudent stand 2 weeks without my bike .i hope everything works out ok.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Mechanics viewpoint...
Hey mark, see what this dumb guy did?? Yeh he left his piston in like 2 years too long and guess what...it broke! DUH!
Then he takes the motor 1/2 way apart, realizes he cant finish the job, then brings it to us and like wants it...yesterday!
You know that puller we lent to Jeff last week? Yeh he never brought it back, now I need it to do this motor and I dont have it.
Suppose the guy will want a lifetime gaurantee when we are done too. And cause of his lack of maintenance and stupidity, he is going to spread all over the net that we didnt finish the job to his liking.
Bob over in parts said the kid wants like a 90% discount too. Guess he is the C class champion or sumthin.
Moral of the story...
Your lack of planning(or ignorance) does not constitute an emergency on my part.
A properly maintained motor will last damn near forever with the proper maintenance. When it breaks, suck it up and take some of the responsibility for the consequences.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Expert Class

Tryce...

I couldnt agree more. The only time I took something taken apart to someone, was when I was giving it to them to keep..

Its like you walk into a restaurant at 7:00 when your reservation was at 6, and you want them to hurry so you can catch the 7:30 movie..
Old 09-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Expert Class

I must have missed something, because there seemed to be a lot of venom in FFR's response to this subject. Here is my 2 cents anyway.

If the mech could not do the job, he should not have taken the motor.

If your alternater goes south on your car, do you bring the whole car into get fixed? Ever need a fuse? Bring the whole car in for that?

I dont want to pay someone an hourly rate to do something I could do myself. I would have taken it apart till I got stuck, then brought it in. If a person doesn't try to do something how in the world are you ever going to learn? I dont understand the argument about not bringing parts in. If you bring something in the mech looks at it, agrees to fix it for a price, how can you possibly put any of the blame for some moron losing parts on the customer??

Bottom line is no matter how ignorant the mech is, or how unimportant he thinks the customer is, if he is too stupid to keep all the parts together it is totally his (the mechs) fault. If he didn't want to bother with it he should have refused it from the get go.

BTW, I wonder who pays the salaries in a shop? Oh yeah, the customer....Hmmm, maybe he should get good service instead of attitude. 3 weeks without so much as a courtesy call to tell him what is going on? Kind of tells me how important this job was to the people at the shop. As for the whole prior planning and preparation does not...yada yada yada....you are correct, it does not constitute an emergency on the mechs part. But his dilemma is paying the wages, so any mech worth anything could at least act like it.

Last edited by brokenbones; 09-05-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Class

I'm with bbones on this one I have five engines torn down in My
garage right now and can tell you were every part to every bikes at......Duh ...Strowed all over the place .........No really all put in seperate locations as it should be and no parts will be lost or missplaced cause they are to exspensive to replace by Me or
THE CUSTOMER which is usually ME.
Go to the shop BUT be civil Try that again BE CIVIL and exsplain
the parts were on the engine and could they please try to find them cause you can't afford to replce them But first are YOU sure they went from YOU to the shop? If YES thengo have a talk with them ! I am also a wrench for a buck and think YOU should be
PISSED OFF about your bike But you need to try to handle this civilized first If they are a respectable shop THEY will help get YOU
back HAPPY again if you don't walk in the door callin everyone D%^Ba$$es
Old 09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Expert Class

I didnt mean to try to say cr2504life was in the wrong. But a lot of people dont maintain there bikes, so they let it blow. Then they try to fix it, and take it to a place with half the parts missing. Then blame the dealer or mechanic for not fixing the bike to fit his schedule and such. Most dealers and mechanics wont accept bikes that are in peices, at least around here..
Old 09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I don't think I would have taken it disassembled. I mean I've never done that. If you take it in one piece, if anything is missing, it's obvious who lost the parts. It's not like he'll charge you less for taking off the shrouds? gas tank? whatever?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Intermediate Class

that sux! I think they should throw in something for free! Good luck with the situation.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:51 PM
ATM! Pro Class

When I had FFR running full time, I charged extra for assembling a disassembled motor. I also would not warranty any work unless I did the entire job. If you want the shop to do your bottom end, drain the oil and give them the entire motor.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 PM
will fall over

You can't expect even the BEST mechanic to know the intimate inner workings of every motor from every model someone could possibly bring in. Putting it together correctly, requires taking it apart correctly.

oh yeah..brknbnz, the mech should not have taken the job..and sent a fledgling mech back in to deep u no what

Last edited by wFo250; 09-06-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Intermediate Class

people who do not maintain their bikes = Job security for mechanics.

My mechanic has asked me several times to tear the motor down to the point I need him to take over.....saves him time so he can get to the next job. It is not unreasonable to expect him to give me back an equal number of parts as the ones I took him

Ryan
Old 09-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Intermediate Class

ok when someone brings me ANYTHING to work on i have them sit their and answer any questions i have and if needed show where they got somthing i had a guy bring me a tw200 with the motor COMPLETELY disassembled and i a 5 gallon bucket it is a working progress and i cant get ahold of who the hell took the damn think apart, Now i am only 16 and not a whiz at how everysingle bike goes together but if i take it apart i can fix it i am not taking the shops side but unless i ask i want the motor in a main piece this mean cases together and topend/cylinder intact well good luck with the bike
Old 09-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Intermediate Class

im not even getting nto this one i have to deal with this almost every day. i always like when people come in and want something for there machine right now cant wait but dont know what they own or what year or size and expect you to read there mind. and then think every part is the same.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Intermediate Class

Well I ended up getting all of my parts and bolts. That was fine the shop paid for them with no complaints. I get the bill from the first shop I took it to and he charged me for 11 hrs!! I don't really know how it could take that long to talk it apart. He even had to send it to the honda house to assemble it and it took less than 1 hr.
FFRacing11x I don't understand you, did i piss you off or somthing?? When I took it to the shop it wasnt' like there was parts falling off or anything. I just needed them to split the cases and put them back together.

When i assembled the motor I did a leakdown test. Well lit wouldn't even hold any pressure. At first i though that it was leaking by the left crankcase seal but after i removed the stator i found out that it was leaking out this little hole below the clutch arm. Ahh it never ends.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Intermediate Class

Ohh and FFR the person told me that he replaced the piston just before i bought it.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion