All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Beginner Class

Default Is it just me?

Ok, here goes. When I'm down at the woods riding the trails, I spent 2-3 hours there. In that time, (that Isn't necessarily riding time, just total time being there) I burn through most of a tank of gas. I also take pretty long breaks while I'm there, 15 minutes or so usually. I went to the track last weekend, and in the almost 3 hours I was there, I still had over a half of tank, almost 3/4... And that was with only 2-3 short breaks, around 5 minutes.The rest was riding time.
Is it just me, or does everyone get a lot better mileage at the track, as compared to the trails?
I'm on a 4 stroke, by the way. Maybe it's different with the 2 strokes..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Mileage is dependent on how hard you are on the throttle, for instance at the sand dunes I get terrible fuel efficiency ... why??? because I am on the gas all the time.

In the woods with my wife I can go for hours and hours because I rarely get above 1/3 throttle. At the track if I am ON IT I go through a tank in about 2 hours.

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodging_roost View Post
Mileage is dependent on how hard you are on the throttle, for instance at the sand dunes I get terrible fuel efficiency ... why??? because I am on the gas all the time.

In the woods with my wife I can go for hours and hours because I rarely get above 1/3 throttle. At the track if I am ON IT I go through a tank in about 2 hours.

Thanks
Scott
That was the thing, it would seem like I was on the gas way more on the open track, than the trails. The trails I mostly just cruise around in 2nd, there's hardly any room to open it up much. On the track I'm on it as much as I need to be, not how limited I am. With you it was the opposite, you got better mileage on the trails. Just figured it was kind of wierd.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
ATM! Addict

Scott, is it true your wife goes through a tank faster than you do?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Pro Class

With gas prices so high maybe someone is stealing your gas when you take a break??
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp View Post
Scott, is it true your wife goes through a tank faster than you do?
ah no.... that's a LIE and I will never admit to it..... just cause she's faster than me!!!!! On a KLX 140L even, actually I don't think that thing has EVER gone through a tank of gas since we have owned it. We just keep filling it up!

Tee hee hee

Also seriously if your keeping the bike on the pipe and it is jetted properly up high you may use less gas than if your really rich down low and that's where you ride on the trail. Hey but what do I know.... I am in my own little world when I ride so someone could be stealing my fuel and I would care less.

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Also seriously if your keeping the bike on the pipe and it is jetted properly up high you may use less gas than if your really rich down low and that's where you ride on the trail. Thanks
Scott
Yeah that would make sense. Im running stock jetting on a Suzuki. The only reason im running stock is because I cant figure out how to change the jets
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcat09 View Post
Yeah that would make sense. Im running stock jetting on a Suzuki. The only reason im running stock is because I cant figure out how to change the jets
Depending on elevation that should be close; factories generally jet for sea level. The jets are in the carb by the float. You should be able to turn the carb sideways bottom facing you and unscrew the 4 float bowl screws and get at the jets.

The main will be a hex shaped one staring you in the face you remove it and the plastic cover to reveal the pilot which should be a little round one off to the right.

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Depending on elevation that should be close; factories generally jet for sea level. The jets are in the carb by the float. You should be able to turn the carb sideways bottom facing you and unscrew the 4 float bowl screws and get at the jets.

The main will be a hex shaped one staring you in the face you remove it and the plastic cover to reveal the pilot which should be a little round one off to the right.

Thanks
Scott
Well the main jet the entire thing pulls out, i ordered the next size up and it is just the top part of it, I'm not sure how to get that off, it looks like it unscrews but I couldn't figure out how to get it off.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcat09 View Post
Well the main jet the entire thing pulls out, i ordered the next size up and it is just the top part of it, I'm not sure how to get that off, it looks like it unscrews but I couldn't figure out how to get it off.
It does you need like a 6mm wrench to hold the lower part... and then twist at the end with the numbers on it.

Thanks
Scott

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion