All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Intermediate Class

Introductions for a "Newbie"

Hi! I wanted to take the time to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Erika and I am 21 years old. I reside in Central Ohio and work in Columbus. Which means I have over an hour dive, one way, without traffic. This is not fun at all. But I do not want to live in the city so I guess I will continue to drive it as long as I can be in the good ole country. I work at a design firm where we create plans for high-end homes. For those familiar with Ohio, think New Albany, Dublin and Delaware.

Now, lets get down to business. I have been following the sport for about five yearsish. Only on television though. Mostly through the X Games and the Gravity Games. I have never been to an actual event in person. Although I would love to experience it first hand. (That is another post in itself.)

I, obviously, do not ride a bike but I enjoy watching those who do. I find it to be so amazing that people can actually do tricks and what have you, in the air, upside down, etc. I know I will probably never do it so I will continue to support those who have the skills to do so.

I do not know much about the technicalities of the sport. I know very little actually. But I am willing to learn as much as I can. So if you see me post a question that you may think is common knowledge, please keep in mind that I know nothing. I really hope you have more patience then some of the other places I have visited. I am looking forward to picking your brains apart. lol If you will let me...

So now you know a little of my background, how about yours? I am excited about meeting ya’ll.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Introductions for a "Newbie"

Welcome to ATM! You've come to the right place. IMO this is not the kind of site where people will ridicule or judge you for posting a question, no matter how odd or obvious it may seem. Rather, the folks here will offer advice, explain things, clarify issues, discuss stuff and support anyone from anywhere.

When you say "I know I will probably never do it" do you mean jumps and tricks and so on or do you mean you will probably never ride? Sure you can ride! Everyone here will encourage you, offer advice on how to get involved in the sport, suggest bikes suited to your age/experience and so on. There are a lot of lady riders out there, you can be next!

Welcome again,

Cheers
Old 08-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Intermediate Class

That is good to know-in regards to your first paragraph. This sounds like my kind of place!

I will probably never ride. I have a good reason though. I have a phobia of riding bikes. I know it may sound silly but when I was 11, I was in a very bad accident. Granted I was only riding a bicycle and not a dirt bike. A car ran a stop sign and hit me. I came very close to having three of my toes amputated (sp)! I have not been on a bike of any kind since. So if I could get over this fear then yeah I would love to learn how to ride. (Does that sound funny or what?) But in order for me to accomplish this, I would need tons of encouragement. And it may help to actually know someone who rides. So I guess it all depends on certain factors if I will ever ride. Honestly, I do not even know where to start.

BTW-It was nice meeting you!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Intermediate Class

Hey girlie! Glad you signed up! You sent me a PM this morning, but my box was full. Sorry about that. I cleared it out, so feel free to PM me again.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Just wanted to give you a warm WELCOME to ATM
Old 08-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Expert Class

Welcome to ATM HOPE u like it,this website is awsome verynice people on here they will help u if you need help.well good luck and have a good time on ATM!!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Beginner Class

Here's another Big Welcome to the board!!

Its nice to see people who don't ride enjoy the sport as much as you seem to...
Good people on here so don't be worried to ask any question..
Old 08-12-2004, 07:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hello new gurl. I got an idea- sign up for one of those motorcycle safety courses and try that. They generally use small street bikes and most everything you pick up would transfer over to the dirt if ya decided to have a go at that too. Where's char? Does she know we have a new female member?.?.?. She'll give you some incouragement for sure!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 PM
cha cha

I'm here...and I didn't realize had a new female member.

Welcome to the site though! I think you'll find an answer to most, if not all, of your questions here.

Your fear of bikes is understandable...and I like the Olmx's idea of a safety course. If/When you're ready to try riding....we're here to support you 100%.

So feel free to post away...and I think it's so cool that you're interested in bikes even though you don't ride!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Welcome to ATM, and don't fret the "dumb" questions. Their are no dumb questions, just dumb answers

So fire away.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Oh, and I almost forgot.

I lived in Mt Vernon OH 2 years ago (which isn't right next to you, but not too far either, since IMOP, everything was far in Ohio ). Nice area. While I was there, I met a girl that rides. I can't for the life of me remember her name, but she rides and is probably pretty close to your age. At the time she was 17, so now she should be close to 19-20'ish.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion