All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Intermediate Class

Default insurance help ?

hey guys ive heard of ppl geting their insurance to help buy gear ? i was thinking it would be easy for me cause i shattered my kneecap before and maybe they wouldent want any more injuries or soemthing ? thnx guys
Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: insurance help ?

no one`s had any experience with this?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Intermediate Class

bump,cmon guys i know SOME of you have cause ive read post where ppl say their insurance helped pay for stuff.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Pro Class

Honestly, pay for your own gear.

Health insurance premiums are high enough already. The rest of us don't need to be subsidizing your dirt bike hobby.

I'm sorry if this offends you, but your health insurance providor doesn't have a magic money tree they pick $20 bills from to pay for all this stuff. The costs are passed on to all the other folks who have insurance with that company. I don't want to pay for your knee braces through higher premiums. If you want knee braces to prevent a future injury, drop the coin and get them.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned

thank you very much.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Intermediate Class

o yeah silly me i forgot that after haveing to pay for extensive checkups,therapy etc after i shattered my knee cap, then haveing to pay off my dirtbike , gas , gear, and all this while im only 16 and cant get a job yet , hmmmm excuse me if i ask for a little help, what if you get hurt while rideing a dirtbike ? maybe you shoudlent go in for that back surgery because my parents dont think its right that they have to pay for your hobby`s accident, : so ya next time you go in for a db related accident i will just say sow it up yourself and risk it.also i didnt ask hey guys shoudl i ask insurance for help or not ? i asked hey guys how do i get through this.would you rather me fall off shatter my knee cap again and have to go through 5,000 $ surgeys, pt etc etc ? i think not.so yeah any experience guys ?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:46 AM
ATM! Pro Class

red_rever230,

My wife works in the medical field and I know how insurance companies operate. Basically, anyone who got help from their insurance companies, got one over on them. You should try to switch to that insurance company. They don't like paying out for anything unless it's absolutely necessary. Riding a dirt bike is not absolutely necessary.

I don't think mtk wants you to get hurt and have to pay for your own medical bills. He just doesn't want to pay for your knee braces when he could use that money for himself and pay for his own.

Basically, if you ask your insurance for money for some knee braces it's like telling them you are going to go jump in a shark tank. They're not going to want anything to do with that. Pay for your knee braces? They don't even want to see you on a bike. You may or may not have a legitimate reason, but it sounds like an uphill battle that you may end up forfeiting in the end. But it's your time, so if you choose that path, good luck.

I haven't called up my insurance agent and told him to jack up my rates because I ride every weekend. But if the day ever comes when I need medical attention, I can't envision a scenario where I will be denied medical care because I hurt myself riding.

NOTE: I am sure some people where able to get assistance from their insurance companies for legitimate reasons. However, I doubt it was an easy process.

NOTE2: My insurance agent rides a YZ426 (my sister went to high school with his wife). He, of all people, knows the danger associated with riding. That is why I will never tell him I ride.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Intermediate Class

yeah i know , i will try and see how it goes , i have a legit reason because i screwed up my knee before and its not like im asking mtk to pay for them lol i mean dang how many ppl in the u.s would it be spread over ? i know for a fact he wont be dishing out 550$ for me ,he migth be paying what maybe 2 -3 dollars ? i dont know the facts but i know its not gonna be a dire life threatining situation to his wallet if i ask insurance for help,and my parents probably dont even use the same insurance he does,and isint that kinda being greedy? it would be like me saying WHAT DO YOU MEAN A FELLOW RIDER NEEDS HELP!?!?!?!?! heck no i wont give a helpnig hand!!! i mean whats up with that ? i could see it if i was a grow man with a job but no im a 16 year old struggeling to ride and pay my own way,i work hard for everything i have ,alway have and always will, except in this case because i cant pull 500 dollars otua no hwere and i need the braces asap,trust me if i had my own money id buy them myself. and thanx alot clicea, like i said im gooan try hard to get soem help but if not ill just have to wait quite a while. any other opinions guys or loop holes or soemthing !?!?!?! thanx alot ,peace
Old 09-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Expert Class

If getting your insurance company to pay for protective gear is at all possible, wouldnt them paying a few hundred bucks for gear be better then them having to pay a few thousand for the operation that could result from the lack of protective gear? Say your racing or riding far beyond your abilities and not wearing a chest protector or other protective gear and you fall hard, somehow damaging your internal organs and you need all sorts of medical attention, life support, organ transplant, the whole 9 yards. Now the insurance company has to take the burden of most of the damages which occoured as a result. Instead, they could have paid for your protective equiptment only raised your premiums a slight bit. Tell me that is not going to make your insurance premiums jump. So, whats better in your book, 400 dollars or 4000 dollars the insurance company needs to pay? This is a very extreme and highly unlikely example, but...
Old 09-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Expert Class

What is up with that? If you can ride you can work. Get off your ***, we've all got problems. If you can't afford gear, sell your brand new bike, buy cheaper one, and buy the damn gear. This ain't welfare.
If you have time to post on here all day, and can ride, you should be able to work enough to buy your own stuff. Get up and do it.

I can see how all of this stuff like this page, and everyone's bikes' just appear from some fairy that you believe passes things out to 'deserving' people. Lazy kid.

Get off your *** and get a job, and learn to spell. Only you can help yourself. This ain't welfare.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Intermediate Class

yeah thats preatty much what i said but its not highly unlikely or ne thing cause mx is veary dangerous and you can easily easily break soemthnig or get hurt or in the worst case scenario, die, so ya
Old 09-17-2004, 01:10 PM
ATM! Pro Class

There may come a day where insurance companies consider riding a motorcycle or any other dangerous activity a health hazard and refuse to pay anything. Good thing we are a small percentage. Really, our bills are being spread out to other segments of society. EXAMPLE: I once funded a home equity loan for a guy who was involved in an auto accident. He had insurance but they refused to pay because he was under the influence of alcohol. He had to shell out close to $20,000. It's not the same situation but it isn't that far of a stretch for them to question your judgement by getting on one of those steel ponies and jumping 100 foot gaps. Look around ATM, look at both the frequency and severity of the injuries. We are a very expensive segment for the insurance industry. I am sure they are up at trying to think of a way to get us off of their books. BUT, for the mean time, break away....or NOT.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by boogieonmyfinge
What is up with that? If you can ride you can work. Get off your ***, we've all got problems. If you can't afford gear, sell your brand new bike, buy cheaper one, and buy the damn gear. This ain't welfare.
If you have time to post on here all day, and can ride, you should be able to work enough to buy your own stuff. Get up and do it.

I can see how all of this stuff like this page, and everyone's bikes' just appear from some fairy that you believe passes things out to 'deserving' people. Lazy kid.

Get off your *** and get a job, and learn to spell. Only you can help yourself. This ain't welfare.
I agree with you 110% I have no problem with paying for my own bike, protective gear and other parts. Its just that someone whose to damn cheap to buy their own stuff is gonna go out and get hurt and turn themselves into a criple. Then their going to collect alot more from insurance. Maybe people like that just shouldnt ride. Im not trying to take a side even though I sounded partial at first. I was just trying to say, it may be in ones best interest to pay a bit more first time around rather than pay much higher premiums the second. If it has to come to that of course. Any loving parent, especially after seeing their child hurt themselves once, would probably be willing to shell out the couple hundred dollars so they dont have to see their child (who cannot ride well) from killing themselves.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Expert Class

I know of a real generous soul that would be glad to give the inside track on everything out there MX wise. Drop him an email and see what he thinks. -- rick@off-road.com
Old 09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Expert Class

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but asking for handouts for your hobbies is just selfish. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I'm not your mommy. You have to mature enough to take of your self. If you don't have proper equiment, you should be careful. Most of the members online seem to be capable, some don't. Don't expect everyone else to come up with answers to all of your problems. I like to help as much as the next guy, but come on. Lay off the excuses.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by boogieonmyfinge
I know of a real generous soul that would be glad to give the inside track on everything out there MX wise. Drop him an email and see what he thinks. -- rick@off-road.com
Yes, please do, Rick is a great guy and I'm sure he will answer any question you have in the proper manner. He takes a while on his responses only because he is so busy answering other people's questions, just like yours.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:

hmm lets see i cant get a job for a few months becuase im adopted and they fuged up my social security number ,card and my legal name i do work around here and bust my *** for money for gas and have waitied almost 4 years to get my bike, and i have a job at the fair in liek aweek because they said it woudl be ok and im puting all that money towards my braces ,you dont even know me so how can you call me lazy or selfish ? how the hell would this be welfare if it is my dad busting his *** to pay for our insurance, if insurance didnt want to pay for the braces they woudlent, if i didnt take advantage of what they give, why even have it ? that woudl be like haveing a gas station give you free gas but you refuse cause every one else has to pay for theirs yeah thatd be preatty lame. also i know alot of people on here had gotten their insurance companies to help pay for braces, so does that make them slefish and lazy ? thats all im looking for is info how to do it , its not like your power talk is gonna change my mind , im not runing around asking for donations for boots helemt , gas etc, god dam you guys (you know who you are ) act like by me doing it is gonna affect your insurace in a big way, not that its an excuse but after all ive gone through from being dumepd by my old parents to haveing to watch my brothers and sisters get beat and on top of that i still get treated like crap and have to pay for all my stuff. hell i dont even get any holidays cause my dad thinks holidays are bad. so yeah next time you open a xmas gift or get a birthday present remeber i got the shaft when it comes to that.so i think if anything i deserve to get a little help here and there, once again im only trying to get braces not a new freakin house.i didnt come here for you to tell me im selfish or this and that cause frankly i dotn gave a rats *** about your opinion when it comes to this, cause thats all it is YOUR OPINON.. also i thought a rule was not to bash people on the boards , so ill make you a deal if i learn how to spell (wich i do i jut dont type all that well) you learn how to read ,thats not a insult its just a comment.so once again ne help guys?
Old 09-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Expert Class

It's a deal. Please post more coherent responses in the future, and I will gladly take more time and consideration for your plight.
I know it really sucks being a kid, I was there. Although after your post is online, age gets thrown out the window.

You can watch my reading, and I'll watch your spelling/typing.

If you keep trying, you'll get what you need. Just don't give up.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Expert Class

My dad lost his job, and along with losing the job, the insurance went. No insurance, no riding. If you can t afford to get knee braces and feel there neccesary, then dont ride. I hit my head once and had a concussion...I think I'm gunna go ask my insurance company to get me that $500 pastrana replica helmet...Cause its the best of the best, and I dont wanna mess up my head..

And its not like the gas station giving you free gas and everyone else has to pay. Its like giving you free gas, cause everyone else has to pay for the gas YOU are getting..And even if its maybe $2-3 more, then the next Joe schmo might say he has an achey knee, and thas 4-6 dollars, and then so on..

Sorry, but if you cant afford this hobby, dont ride.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Intermediate Class

Insurance is the one thing that you buy that you hope you NEVER have to use.

Unfortunately, I am currently using mine. The other day at work, I was talking about it with the secretary. Our company has had several large claims within the past year or so. In fact, at our current rates, it will take them several years to recoup the money they have paid out, considering there are no more claims. Since Insurance companies have to make money, our rates will most likely increase, or we will be dropped. We have already had to lower our coverage to keep our rates "affordable".
Closed Thread

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion