All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/)
-   -   how to paint gas tank? (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/how-paint-gas-tank-36954/)

Southern Pride 09-04-2007 03:14 PM

how to paint gas tank?

What would be the best way for me to paint the gas tank on my 98 cr250? Just got black plastics and the white gas tank is messin up the looks.

pragmatic393 09-04-2007 03:16 PM

Re: how to paint gas tank?

Don't! It'll never last. The tank absorbs gas vapors and makes a lousy surface for adhesion.

yz250guy 09-04-2007 03:27 PM

I would definitely just buy a black tank from one of the aftermarket companies. (IMS or Clarke) It's more $$, but will look better and last WAY longer.

Chadm89 09-04-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Pride (Post 494911)
What would be the best way for me to paint the gas tank on my 98 cr250? Just got black plastics and the white gas tank is messin up the looks.

I've done it. You can get fairly good and long-lasting results but you have to do it right.

First, get some paint that's made specifically for plastic. I got some at sears called Krylon, and it's designed to adhere molecularly to plastics.

Second, as is always the case with painting, you have to prep your surface very well. Get it sanded down real good, working with progressively finer grit sandpaper for a smooth surface. Then wash it and make sure it's super clean, free of any grease. Wipe it with a tack cloth before spraying any paint on it.

Once it's prepped, spray it once lightly and give it a little while to tack up before putting a good coat on. This will act like "paint velcro" and help prevent runs and such.

Give it a couple good coats and you're good to go. As has been stated, you're dealing with vapors and such, so you might get a little bubbling here and there. Just touch it up when you do, it's no big deal.

pjg351 09-04-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pragmatic393 (Post 494912)
Don't! It'll never last. The tank absorbs gas vapors and makes a lousy surface for adhesion.

I can confirm that. I tried it once on a pee wee 80 with special plastic paint, and while it worked good on the guards etc. It just would not stay on the tank because of the vapours.

misfitsbob 09-04-2007 04:35 PM

anyone got a link to those companies that sell tanks...im really wanting a black one or a white one for my yz

char393 09-04-2007 04:37 PM

Clarke Manufacturing

IMS Products

misfitsbob 09-04-2007 04:53 PM

thanks..hopefully ill end up with a completely black bike in the next few months :headspin:headspin:headspin

ipaintu 09-04-2007 05:32 PM

ok i just thought i help..
I paint plastics everyday. There is a special way to do them or else they peel..

1st get some stuff called
BULLDOG plastic adheisive spray

The get ya some black what flat or glossy?
either way they should sell it at anywhere ya find bulldog at..

You shouldnt havent to worry about peeling. Use a fair amount of bulldog...

oh i forgot.. wash the tank with some mean green or something to that standard. then sand with a 400 wet sand paper. then dry and bulldog and paint.

easy...

ipaintu 09-04-2007 05:42 PM

Promotes adhesion to problem plastics such as PP or TPO repair materials and topcoats. Works equally well on most flexible or rigid plastics and on painted surfaces.

SEM 39863 - Plastic Adhesion Promoter, Aerosol
SEM 39864 - Plastic Adhesion Promoter, Quart

Vinyl, Leather, Plastic and Bumper Coatings

thats some more stuff ya can use... remeber you have to have a very clean area to paint on.

Southern Pride 09-04-2007 05:46 PM

These are some good suggestions. I will have to try that bulldog plastic adhesion, but the truth of the matter is I'd rather keep painting it then waste the $$ for a black tank. I got way more important things to buy. Anyways check out the photos/videos section for pics of the bike, should have them up by tonight. Thanks fellas