All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 04:40 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Has Anyone Broken Bones While Riding Smart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke
Im always hearing if u ride dirtbikes ur gonna break bones, and that Id be making the wrong decision to get one. How many of u have broken bones riding?

If u have please state this.
1. Were u wearing proper gear?
2. Were you doing something completely reatrds and dangerous?
3. Were u going way to fast?
4. How long have u been rding for?
5. Did u brake it racing or doing huge jumps?
6. Was it rainging out and to slippery?

Just basically going into detail how u broke ur bones would probly help reasure me im gonna be fine because i can be a pretty aggresive quader and still be safe. Im just hoping that it i act the same way on a dirtbike will i brake sl-lit.

1. Yes, everything except my neck brace (broken collar bone)
2. A 20' double I had done many times previous
3. No, not quite fast enough (thought I was in 3rd gear, I was only in 2nd)
4. 15+ years
5. I was not racing, however I was on an mx track, not a huge jump, however it could be considered SX style.
6. Great conditions

FYI, I was on an ATV, but I have had worse accidents on a dirt bike, just none of them ever broke a bone (not quite sure how). I have had more injuries playing basketball than I have mxing, however the sport does come with inherent dangers.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Intermediate Class

Just last week on my quad i was going through a really rutted trail and it was really wet out, my right side of my quad dropped into a 2 foot rutt and i rolled it over. My ankle got caught a little but i didnt brake anything, i didnt twist my ankle either. I also tipped my quad a couple times and hit the back bar coming out of a huge rut once but no broken bones riding. And believe me i know accidents happen in real life i broke my ankle and my wrist doing nothing more than jumping of a swing and falling of a tire swing lol. Dam swings!!!!

Last edited by Stryke; 10-02-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Intermediate Class

I have been riding just over a year, and not very aggressively, I have mostly rode trail, only track a couple of times. No broken bones here. I was concerned about the same thing as you when I started riding. I think what happens somewhere in there is you start to love riding so much, that you just accept the danger and ride anyway.

My wife broke her wrist on her CRF150 this summer, she squeezed the front brake too hard and went down...

People all told me, it is MX, you can't do with expectations of "never" getting hurt. If you have zero tolerance for injuries, motorcycles are not for you... I certainly don't want to be injured, but I like riding too much to give it up.

BTW, my co-worker spranged (sp?) her ankle getting off the couch last weekend. (the point about you can get injured doing anything ) (I hope she doesn'tt get a dirt bike! : )

I think some of the danger can be reduced by proper gear and the way you ride. Some people say if you don't fall a lot, you are not advancing. That is the category I fit into, I don't fall. But then, my goals are to simply have fun and ride with my wife and kids. Were I younger, say 16, I imagine I would ride way more aggressively. But I don't need to be hurt bad, I have a job and other responsibilities. So I ride well, well, within what I know are my limits. I am not pushing the envelope.

All that said, if you are aggressive, you can expect to fall more. But you still might avoid a broken bone. How lucky are you?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Intermediate Class

Re: Has Anyone Broken Bones While Riding Smart?

i fractured my shouleder yesterday racing at lake whitney. i was wearing proper gear, i just crashed in the first turn and got ran over.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Da Bunny

Just two broken vertabre here caused from my bike landing on me. The crash wasn't too bad but the wrestling match was a TKO in the first round!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Class

I feel lucky to have never broken any bones in the last 7 years of riding, but this is motocross......
Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Da Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneRider
I feel lucky to have never broken any bones in the last 7 years of riding, but this is motocross......
Yep, I rode for 20 years without breaking anything then whamo. I think the number one factor in most crashes would be rider fatigue.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetoman393
Yep, I rode for 20 years without breaking anything then whamo. I think the number one factor in most crashes would be rider fatigue.

i also here its just lazyness as well, some riders say when the ride 4 strokes they become alot more relaxed and are more prone to crashing because they arent concentrating as much as they do when they ride 2 strokes. i just hate how everybody say to me " Oh ur getting a dirtbike huh, so i guess u want to break some more bones" or " Or other people saying, if u ride a bike no matter if u race or not i garantee u your gonna break somthing."
Old 10-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Class

No broken bones, just hard crashes. Hopefully no broken bones to come.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke
i also here its just lazyness as well, some riders say when the ride 4 strokes they become alot more relaxed and are more prone to crashing because they arent concentrating as much as they do when they ride 2 strokes.
Sorry Stryke, but thats a load of @#$*. Yes riding a 4 stroke is less tiring, but it's not like your laid back in a easy-chair relaxing.

You keep asking about what kind of bike to buy, what kind of aftermarket parts to get and now about crashing. You aint even got a bike yet and the riding season here is near its end. I suggest you just get a bike and hit the dirt, it will answer most of your questions and it's alot more fun than sitting in front of this monitor.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion