All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 09:41 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Hardest thing I have tried to do to my bike

Thanks folks!

Mainjet...I just may take you up on that next time

DBD...Jack will be seeking revenge I am sure

Bates...another GREAT idea

Paul...I think that is EXACTLY what I did wrong. I did not pull the beads off both sides and I was trying to pull it off with the spoons. After this weekend I will use your tips to replace my knobbies. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Class

Wow...didn't know this was such a big deal.

I have changed alot of tires, 5 rears and 2 fronts, didn't seem to be too hard...well...my size might help me...being 246 pounds and '6 "3.lol

P.S.- Never change a tire when it's 25 degrees outside.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:32 AM
ATM Contributor!

Great step by step Paul; that makes sense. I think I'll give it a try myself. I've got 2 sets waiting for me in the garage.

But, just to be safe, I'll pick up some tubes on the way home
Old 02-06-2004, 11:51 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I can confirm Paul's method as being the way to go. The first time I tried changing my own tire, I gave up after not being able to get the tire off of even one side of the rim. Mostly because I didn't break the bead all the way around the rim and squeeze the tire so both beads were in the middle. Once I found this technique that Paul described, I was able to change my tire no problem. I use soapy water to lube up the bead area both on and off, it also helps to keep from pinching the tube. I've only changed my own tires for the last 4 or 5 times, but I can do it in 20 minutes, start to finish now. No more giving money to the shop and taknig the time to go down there!!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:36 PM
ATM! Addict

I am a wuss...I pay the shop to mount them.....can't beat $4 to mount the tire if you buy it from them. Of course I buy from a discount shop although the Yammie dealer in my area has competetive prices....they just want $15 to mount them!!!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Expert Class

Thanx man, but after they did one tire my dad and i learned to do our own lol(mostly my dad). If we got any trouble ill post.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by drman
Wow...didn't know this was such a big deal.

I have changed alot of tires, 5 rears and 2 fronts, didn't seem to be too hard...well...my size might help me...being 246 pounds and '6 "3.lol

P.S.- Never change a tire when it's 25 degrees outside.
I've changed a lot too. I've had so many flats on my bikes. The soap and water thing helps a lot. UNLOCK THE BEAD TOO. one of the most important things is to unlock the bead. I just take a tire bar/spoon/whatever you want to call it and stick it in-between the rim and tire, then I use another and keep doing that all the way around. About no more than half way you should unlock with just your hands, if possible. After that stick the tire bars back in and once in pull as hard as possible back to get the tire out. Only about an inch or 2 should be sticking out of the rim. The way I do is set it on a spoke so that you don't have to hold the tire bar the whole time. Make sure it's secure or it may just go flinging across the room/anywhere. Soap and water will help well here. After that just keep doing the same thing all around it. I always had to use just 2 tire bars so it got really hard, eventually I used flathead screwdrivers too and the helped because of their skininess they were easy to stick through. After that it just takes strength, time, and patience. P.S. If you're putting a tire back on, the worst thing is to pop the intertube. Watch Out!!! And dip the intertube in soap and water, also I heard that baby powder or anything of that type will help, heard that from dirt rider. And P.S. again, like he said, don't try changing the tire in cold. I was in 5 degrees and the tire was stiff as can be. And the soap and water thing didn't work because of it kept freezing, at the end when I was done the water inside my bucket was half way completely frozen!!! Just tips I used to help me, but tires are hard. It takes practice and man do I have a lot already in just about 2 years I have changed about 10 tires, most on the back one.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Pro Class

Oh ya, if you are using screwdrivers, you are missing the boat. Tire irons (even the 8 inch ones) could be the most helpful thing I have bought...probably a tie between them and the chain breaker..
Old 02-07-2004, 01:22 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hey Zoo, sorry to be soooo late on this one but here's a link!! I aways change my tires by myself and it isn't that difficult, it demands a bit hard work, because the tire won't go on or come off easy but when you get the hang of it you can do it in 10-15 minutes. Hope the link help's you out a bit!!

http://www.motocross.com/garage/changeatire.html
Old 02-07-2004, 01:23 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Forgot to say, from now on that link is on my website!! Seems helpfull!!

http://sweeper53.tripod.com
Old 02-07-2004, 01:57 PM
ATM! Pro Class

newbies in 1 week i have had to take off and put on 5 tires. 3 TTR125L rear tires, 1 TT350 rear tire, and 1 YZ125 front tire. two inch thorns from a mesquite bush are NOT COOL and they grow everywhere. i've had to do 2x's that many in bike tires, it's almost every day.

the MOST important thing i do is put the SPROCKET SIDE DOWN (!!) i made the mistake of trying to break the bead on my new 756 rear in 33 degree weather with the sprocket side up, it was a living hell and i have the fingers to prove it (or lack thereof) i use the 2 biggest flathead screwdrivers in my toolbox, both are about 8 or 9 inches long. after letting all the air out of the tube by taking the shraeder valve core out, loosen the tire locker and tube nut, i slip one screwdriver under the bead of the tire and pull it up. then, i take the other one and slip it under the bead about 2 inches (5cm) from the first one, and pull up. then, i stick it in about 2 inches from where it was before, repeat and repeat until most of the bead is off. from there i set the tire upright and yank the rest of the bead off, take the tube out, spin the tire/rim around and slip the screwdriver in the other side and PUSH up on the driver, instead of trying to pull it off from the other side (MUCH easier!) then slip the other screwdriver in about 3 or 4 inches (7.5-10 cm) from the first one, and push up and off. after that it's cake to just pull the rest of the tire off. patch the tube, look for thorns, debris, anything in the tire, and let the air out of the tube after pressurising it to see if there are any other leaks. if i havent already, put a bunch of slime in the tube and then put the core back in.

next, i put about 8" of tire bead on the rim, on the side where the valve stem goes. i put the stem in the hole, put the locknut on it, and then fold the tube over the tire so i don't get it in the way. lever the rest of one bead on, then stuff the tube into the tire. run your fingers around several times to make sure you're tube isn't poking out, threatening to get pinched and make you go insane. next, lever on most of the bead. about halfway through, step on the already installed part of the tire, to give you more room to lever the rest of the tire on. the last 10 inches (25 cm) is the worst part, but just step on the other 95 percent of the installed tire, and you will just about to be able to put it on with your hands. put around 8 psi of pressure in there, squeeze and push and tug the tire to get the bead seated as balanced as you can, then put the rest of the pressure in. mount and enjoy

this is done without baby powder, soap, water, windex, or tire irons or spoons. it takes me 15-20 minutes to change a tire, and about 5 minutes to patch a tube. (i just leave the tire on the bike, lever off the needed amount of tire, patch the tube inside the tire, lever it back on, put my helmet back on and ride)

Rob
Old 02-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Class

leave the rim/tire in the sun to get it nice and warm. remove the valve stem so it completely air out. insert the first tire iron on one side and the other on he opposite side. using a spoon/iron work the tire off the rim and spin the tire as you do this to "pop" the bead off the rim. then repeat again on the other side. use lots of soap/water. it took me about 4 hours the first time i did it. now it takes me 20 minutes at the most in the sand at the dunes.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitz393
newbies in 1 week i have had to take off and put on 5 tires. 3 TTR125L rear tires, 1 TT350 rear tire, and 1 YZ125 front tire.
Rob
Obviously, ttr 125ls are bad luck with tires. When I had mine I was changing tires all the time left to right, I changed about 7 to 9 on that thing, but at least 7. And I only had it for half a year. be ready if you have a ttr because they get flats a lot.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:54 AM
ATM! Pro Class

maybe the 6 inches of suspension in the rear would have something to do about it... CLUNK pop! psssssssssssssssssssss..... CRAP :

Old 02-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Class

When I was a teenager I used to have to change flats frequently. At the time I didn't know tire spoons existed, so we always used regular flat head screwdrivers out of our toolbox.

If I had a dime for every tube I unknowingly put a hole in with those screwdrivers . . . well, I could retire now.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:50 AM
ATM! Pro Class

For you guys who don't want to do it on the ground. Go find a smaller sized drum(about a 35 gallon)a flat piece of metal(about 3ft by3ft), 5/8 rod of allthread,couple of 5/8 nuts and washers. Hopfully you know someone with a welder. Weld the barrell to the flat peice of metal, weld the 5/8 center on the inside of barrell. Now you can set your wheel on the rim of the barrell and use the washers and nuts to clamp it down. The plate you welded is what you stand on to keep it from turning. When I do tires I start 180 degrees away from the rim lock.Working with 3 spoons, taking small bites with them.When I put it back together I start at the rim lock. The hardest thing for me is getting the valve stem in.lol. I got some short fat hands.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:38 AM
ATM! Pro Class

You're right Macho, getting the valve stem back in get's me cursing sometimes too!!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 PM
ATM Contributor!

Thanks for the additional tips. And Frakke, thanks for the link...pics always help!

Some time this week I am gonna try to get my paddles off and put my knobbies back on. Wish me luck
Old 02-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Expert Class

Good luck. (pay the 15
Old 02-09-2004, 08:12 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Let us know how it went Zoo, if you think of something that I might include in the review, let me know!! If you still need some advise.................you know where to ask for it!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion