All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Missing the days of riding

Default Got a bike again!!!!!

Been on the hunt for the right bike for the last couple years, and had narrowed my search down to a 96' cr250 (same as my last bike) and a 02' cr250 (always wanted a gen 3 cr) well, the 96' sold which left me with only one option!

Upon initial inspection I was surprised to find the wheel bearings, rear suspension linkage etc. were all tight, I thought for sure being a used bike it would have play in these areas.
it was used as a ramp bike, so the air box was cut and the seat is shaved. It has a newer style front fender on it, but I honestly have not stayed very up to date on newer bikes so I'm not sure what year style its from.

fortunately, it came with a ton of spare parts, wheels, breaks, red plastics, seat, a stock air box, rear shock, forks etc. and it also came with a bike stand.

Pumped to have a bike again, hopefully I can get some ride time in before the snow hits!

I'll get some better pics when its day light out.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
JOATMON

Don't sweat the snow, get a Timbersled kit and keep on riding!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Expert Class

Congrats!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
Don't sweat the snow, get a Timbersled kit and keep on riding!
Oh I have a few sleds, so no need for a timbersled. I will be leaving soon for 4-5 weeks for work though, so bike season may be over when I get back from that.

The bike rips hard! Super happy with how it handles.

Even though I'm rusty from not riding for so many years, I find myself riding at the top of 5'th gear more often then I'd like. Pretty sure its geared to low for my type of riding, if I were to guess top speeds probably somewhere in the 50-55mph area.
It was raining while I rode, so it was pretty slick out but even so, the lower gears were pretty much impossible to keep the front end planted and even in 4'th it can be difficult the keep the front end down. So I will definitely be gearing it up.

I didn't mind the shaved seat as much as I thought I would, but simply for rider comfort I think I will be swapping the stock seat back on once I get a black seat cover for it.

If the weather improves or if I at least get a break from rain I'll throw on the gopro and get some video

All and all it rips hard, handles well and I'm really happy with the bike!

Now I just need to find people to ride with, for now I just ride solo.

Last edited by crdude; 10-05-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:21 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdude View Post
Oh I have a few sleds, so no need for a timbersled. I will be leaving soon for 4-5 weeks for work though, so bike season may be over when I get back from that.

The bike rips hard! Super happy with how it handles.

Even though I'm rusty from not riding for so many years, I find myself riding at the top of 5'th gear more often then I'd like. Pretty sure its geared to low for my type of riding, if I were to guess top speeds probably somewhere in the 50-55mph area.
It was raining while I rode, so it was pretty slick out but even so, the lower gears were pretty much impossible to keep the front end planted and even in 4'th it can be difficult the keep the front end down. So I will definitely be gearing it up.

I didn't mind the shaved seat as much as I thought I would, but simply for rider comfort I think I will be swapping the stock seat back on once I get a black seat cover for it.

If the weather improves or if I at least get a break from rain I'll throw on the gopro and get some video

All and all it rips hard, handles well and I'm really happy with the bike!

Now I just need to find people to ride with, for now I just ride solo.
Timbersleds are a ton of fun, don't knock it till you try it!

I know nothing about setting a bike up for the ramp, but I'd guess with the short run-ups in some venues they lower the gearing to get up to speed quicker. Take a peek at what sprockets it has.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 PM

I'm sure they are a lot of fun! Just don't feel like forking the cash out for one, and I don't think a 250 would be very reliable for that.
And my general goal is to find big natural hits, which a bike normally wouldn't be able to do unless its a drop. But I'm sure they are a blast in the woods!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Top speed via gps 67.7 mph. Guess it isn't slow as I thought, but that's pushing it pretty hard.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:26 AM

Taking baby steps, lol!
So much fun, relearning how to ride all over again! I still cant believe I took so much time off from riding bikes, been having an absolute blast the last few days!
Old 10-08-2017, 08:36 PM
will fall over

Be safe and ride smart! Looks like you got a great deal on the bike
Old 10-15-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wFo250 View Post
Be safe and ride smart! Looks like you got a great deal on the bike
For sure. Already got the bike stored for the winter now though. definitely had a fun couple rides though. I think next spring when I get it out I'll do some general maint. (Sprockets, chain, get the air box swapped out, new air filter etc) on it and try out MX. Think it might be a good way to meet people to ride with and Iv always wanted to ride on a track.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion