All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/)
-   -   Got a bike again!!!!! (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-114/got-bike-again-66538/)

crdude 10-04-2017 10:03 AM

Got a bike again!!!!!
 
Been on the hunt for the right bike for the last couple years, and had narrowed my search down to a 96' cr250 (same as my last bike) and a 02' cr250 (always wanted a gen 3 cr) well, the 96' sold which left me with only one option!

Upon initial inspection I was surprised to find the wheel bearings, rear suspension linkage etc. were all tight, I thought for sure being a used bike it would have play in these areas.
it was used as a ramp bike, so the air box was cut and the seat is shaved. It has a newer style front fender on it, but I honestly have not stayed very up to date on newer bikes so I'm not sure what year style its from.

fortunately, it came with a ton of spare parts, wheels, breaks, red plastics, seat, a stock air box, rear shock, forks etc. and it also came with a bike stand.

Pumped to have a bike again, hopefully I can get some ride time in before the snow hits!

I'll get some better pics when its day light out.
https://preview.ibb.co/gFWd0b/IMG_3509.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/jQ6d0b/IMG_3511.jpg

cowboyona426 10-04-2017 12:41 PM

Don't sweat the snow, get a Timbersled kit and keep on riding!

gusco 10-04-2017 06:07 PM

Congrats!

crdude 10-05-2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyona426 (Post 731681)
Don't sweat the snow, get a Timbersled kit and keep on riding!

Oh I have a few sleds, so no need for a timbersled. I will be leaving soon for 4-5 weeks for work though, so bike season may be over when I get back from that.
https://preview.ibb.co/heoj8w/IMG_3305.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/gkP2vb/IMG_3516.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/fZbAgG/IMG_3514.jpg


The bike rips hard! Super happy with how it handles.

Even though I'm rusty from not riding for so many years, I find myself riding at the top of 5'th gear more often then I'd like. Pretty sure its geared to low for my type of riding, if I were to guess top speeds probably somewhere in the 50-55mph area.
It was raining while I rode, so it was pretty slick out but even so, the lower gears were pretty much impossible to keep the front end planted and even in 4'th it can be difficult the keep the front end down. So I will definitely be gearing it up.

I didn't mind the shaved seat as much as I thought I would, but simply for rider comfort I think I will be swapping the stock seat back on once I get a black seat cover for it.

If the weather improves or if I at least get a break from rain I'll throw on the gopro and get some video

All and all it rips hard, handles well and I'm really happy with the bike!

Now I just need to find people to ride with, for now I just ride solo.

cowboyona426 10-05-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdude (Post 731683)
Oh I have a few sleds, so no need for a timbersled. I will be leaving soon for 4-5 weeks for work though, so bike season may be over when I get back from that.
https://preview.ibb.co/heoj8w/IMG_3305.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/gkP2vb/IMG_3516.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/fZbAgG/IMG_3514.jpg


The bike rips hard! Super happy with how it handles.

Even though I'm rusty from not riding for so many years, I find myself riding at the top of 5'th gear more often then I'd like. Pretty sure its geared to low for my type of riding, if I were to guess top speeds probably somewhere in the 50-55mph area.
It was raining while I rode, so it was pretty slick out but even so, the lower gears were pretty much impossible to keep the front end planted and even in 4'th it can be difficult the keep the front end down. So I will definitely be gearing it up.

I didn't mind the shaved seat as much as I thought I would, but simply for rider comfort I think I will be swapping the stock seat back on once I get a black seat cover for it.

If the weather improves or if I at least get a break from rain I'll throw on the gopro and get some video

All and all it rips hard, handles well and I'm really happy with the bike!

Now I just need to find people to ride with, for now I just ride solo.

Timbersleds are a ton of fun, don't knock it till you try it!

I know nothing about setting a bike up for the ramp, but I'd guess with the short run-ups in some venues they lower the gearing to get up to speed quicker. Take a peek at what sprockets it has.

crdude 10-05-2017 07:59 PM

I'm sure they are a lot of fun! Just don't feel like forking the cash out for one, and I don't think a 250 would be very reliable for that.
And my general goal is to find big natural hits, which a bike normally wouldn't be able to do unless its a drop. But I'm sure they are a blast in the woods!
https://preview.ibb.co/eqixdw/big_air_1.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/moY2BG/big_air_2.jpg

crdude 10-06-2017 09:55 PM

Top speed via gps 67.7 mph. Guess it isn't slow as I thought, but that's pushing it pretty hard.

crdude 10-07-2017 05:26 AM

Taking baby steps, lol!
So much fun, relearning how to ride all over again! I still cant believe I took so much time off from riding bikes, been having an absolute blast the last few days!
https://preview.ibb.co/cCLb6G/little_jumperz.jpg

wFo250 10-08-2017 09:36 PM

Be safe and ride smart! Looks like you got a great deal on the bike :thumb

crdude 10-15-2017 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wFo250 (Post 731699)
Be safe and ride smart! Looks like you got a great deal on the bike :thumb

For sure. Already got the bike stored for the winter now though. :ermm definitely had a fun couple rides though. I think next spring when I get it out I'll do some general maint. (Sprockets, chain, get the air box swapped out, new air filter etc) on it and try out MX. Think it might be a good way to meet people to ride with and Iv always wanted to ride on a track.

jtnkkm 10-22-2017 05:43 AM

Congratulations. That's a beauty of a bike. I'm trying to get a new one myself, and I might get something similar

earthvssoup26 10-24-2017 10:27 AM

I have taken an 11 year break and I am trying to get a bike now as well. Looks great!

cowboyona426 10-24-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthvssoup26 (Post 731772)
I have taken an 11 year break and I am trying to get a bike now as well. Looks great!

Welcome back!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright ©2002-2017, JDub Consulting, Inc. All Right Reserved.