All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Expert Class

Default Good race fuel?

There is a sunoco gas pump that is loaded with racing fuel. My buddies use it, thats all they run. Im guessing that it would also make my bike run better right?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
ATM! Addict

Default Re: Good race fuel?

Are you good enough to need race fuel?
I'm not.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainjet2001
I'm not.

Mainjet I don't think that's the real idea here, most of the new gas has Ethnehol in it. this could be a problem for some of the older 2 strokes.

If your not having problem with detenation or jetting you probley don't need to run race fule.

The only resond that I run it is that the fule maked today is so inconsistant that my Maico will not run the same every time & jetting them so they don't ping/detonate every race & lose power I run race fule.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Beginner Class

A good idea for those who run pump gas and who are dealing with jetting issues is to buy some good race fuel and run it. This will allow you to jet the bike properly and see how well it actually runs. After you do this you can go back to pump fuel if you want and at least this way you can see for yourself how inconsistant pump fuel really is. It will also allow you to feel what good throttle response is vs what you are used to with the pump fuel. The race fuel is good to run at least once to allow for proper jetting and to give you a referal point to work from.
The only way i can get my 03CR to stop dripping spooge is to run race fuel 50/50. Pump gas just doesn't do it. When i ride the mountains i will use premeum pump to reduce cost. When i ride the track i like to use C12 mixed 50% to pump fuel. Also, if you are going to go to the expense of buying race fuel and mixing it 50/50 or some other ratio. Make sure you don't buy pump fuel with ethynol in it or you will be wasting your race fuel as the mixture will be impossible to jet corectly which defeats the purpose of buying expensive race fuel. MTBE premeum pump is what you want. I Canada its tough to find at the pumps. All the aditives they brag about in their pump fuels are junk for your two stroke.

Last edited by sandflyz; 05-12-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainjet2001
I'm not.
you are way too humble
Old 05-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Intermediate Class

several years ago, i went to a short maintenance clinic that eric gorr was giving. he said, "no more than race fuel costs, everyone should use it."
Old 05-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandflyz
A good idea for those who run pump gas and who are dealing with jetting issues is to buy some good race fuel and run it. This will allow you to jet the bike properly and see how well it actually runs. After you do this you can go back to pump fuel if you want and at least this way you can see for yourself how inconsistant pump fuel really is. It will also allow you to feel what good throttle response is vs what you are used to with the pump fuel. The race fuel is good to run at least once to allow for proper jetting and to give you a referal point to work from.
The only way i can get my 03CR to stop dripping spooge is to run race fuel 50/50. Pump gas just doesn't do it. When i ride the mountains i will use premeum pump to reduce cost. When i ride the track i like to use C12 mixed 50% to pump fuel. Also, if you are going to go to the expense of buying race fuel and mixing it 50/50 or some other ratio. Make sure you don't buy pump fuel with ethynol in it or you will be wasting your race fuel as the mixture will be impossible to jet corectly which defeats the purpose of buying expensive race fuel. MTBE premeum pump is what you want. I Canada its tough to find at the pumps. All the aditives they brag about in their pump fuels are junk for your two stroke.

Unfortunately for us dirtbikers MTBE is not being eliminated from fuel. Another reason for the high cost of fuel these days as all the refiners are switching to ethanol. I just run straight race gas in my bike now.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandflyz

Unfortunately for us dirtbikers MTBE is now being eliminated from fuel. Another reason for the high cost of fuel these days as all the refiners are switching to ethanol. I just run straight race gas in my bike now.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion