All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Geared to tall?

I was reading the riding tips "Be faster by next weekend"

What does it mean to be geared to tall? That you need to go down teeth in the rear?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Pro Class

Default Re: Geared to tall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRdinalFan450
That you need to go down teeth in the rear?
Correct. Down teeth in the rear or up teeth in the front. Either will raise your gearing and top speed.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Intermediate Class

The above is correct, but only if you want to make your gearing taller/higher.

If you are allready geared too tall, i.e. your final drive gearing is higer (numerically lower) than you can utilize, you would want to gear down. Gearing down, i.e. lower (numerically higher) gearing means smaller front and/or larger rear.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepilot
The above is correct, but only if you want to make your gearing taller/higher.

If you are allready geared too tall, i.e. your final drive gearing is higer (numerically lower) than you can utilize, you would want to gear down. Gearing down, i.e. lower (numerically higher) gearing means smaller front and/or larger rear.

So when the article states that most stock bikes are geared too high it is meaning that you need to add teeth to the rear sprocket?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Intermediate Class

I've not read the article in question, but yes, if a bike is geared too high the solution is to add teeth to the rear or subtract teeth from the front. Its just like riding a mountain bike. Watch where the chain goes when you shift gears, if you shift into a higher gear with the right hand shifter the rear derailleur moves the chain to a smaller sprocket, doing the same on the left hand shifter makes the front derailleur move the chain to a larger sprocket.

Now you should note that optimal gearing is totally different for different types of terrain, skill levels and riding styles. For my purposes on an MX track most bike's stock gearing is quite good, for really tight woods its too high, for open stuff like dunes or dez its too low. To say that most bikes are geared too high or too low without any specifying any particular condition is ignorant.

Think of gearing like shifting gears, higher gearing would be like taking first and putting it on top of 5th (or 6th if you’ve got a six speed box). You’d have to start in second, but you’d have more top speed with your new extra high gear. Dito for lower gearing, take your top gear and put it below 1st, now you can go slower without stalling and have more tq at low speeds. Of course you can make much more minor changes to allow you to be between gears. Say at your local track there is big sweeper followed by a tabletop. Let’s say you can pull 3rd thorugh the sweeper easily, but its not quite enough to give you the speed for the table, and you have to grab 4th right on the ramp which is giving you trouble. You could gear up (i.e. higher gearing) to make 3rd a little higher eliminating the need to grab 4th on the face of the tabletop. Of course you could also gear lower and either shift right out of the turn or perhaps pull 4th all the way through the turn and off the table. The idea is to optimize your gearing so you have the low end tq, the top end speed and the drive you need for the situations you will encounter while minimizing the need to shift, especially at critical times like on a jump face.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion