All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginner Class

Default Fuel tank leak.....suggestions?

I purchased a used fuel tamk off ebay and without checking it first, installed a new set of graphics. After mounting the tank, i realized that there is a leak between the fuel petcock and where it mounts to the bottom of the tank. Both screws are tight and I even tried switching petcocks from a spare tank and it still leaks. I believe that the tank has bent or warped and won't allow for a good seal. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking a sealant of some sort, just not sure which kind I should use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS01110 View Post
I purchased a used fuel tamk off ebay and without checking it first, installed a new set of graphics. After mounting the tank, i realized that there is a leak between the fuel petcock and where it mounts to the bottom of the tank. Both screws are tight and I even tried switching petcocks from a spare tank and it still leaks. I believe that the tank has bent or warped and won't allow for a good seal. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking a sealant of some sort, just not sure which kind I should use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Is the tank and petcock stock or after market and if so which company?
Does the petcock use an o-ring?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Beginner Class

It is not aftermarket it is oem and if it does require an o-ring there is not one, but neither is there on my other spare tanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
ATM! Addict

Well the methods for sealing differ from bike to bike. There has to be a seal and it's usually a gasket of sorts or an o-ring. You may be able make a gasket if that is the case or double the gasket and o-rings are available if that is what is needed.
You could use a very thin coat of epoxy (Marine-Tex) on the gasket also but if you have to remove the petcock you may have a problem. Best thing is to fix it like it was original and if it's original you should be able to find out what is needed from a dealer meaning the seal requirement.
What brand tank do you have?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS01110 View Post
Is this a newer bike with a plastic tank? If it's an older tank (made of metal) I would suggest using a cold weld (stuff comes in a tube kind of like toothpaste) you mix it and smear it on to "weld" it. I used some once for an old 3 Wheeler and it worked great. I would not suggest doing this on a plastic tank - it may melt it or do other damage? Maybe some other members of the forum have some suggestions.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 PM
ATM! Addict

Man lots of us have come up with a lot of things to seal something like that. There is a product that I used to use in emergencies called SealAll. It is a red and white tube, comes out clear, and if you use some find sand paper and some contact cleaner it will give you a leak free fuel tank, metal, plastic and fiber. I used to just use it in emergencies but it works well enough to call the fix permanent for me.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion