All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Finally I can start riding again

Hey guys, i broke my wrist on May 26th and i am now fully cleared to ride. I have been studying all my motocross videos relentlessly in slow motion and cant wait to go riding this wednesday. I am one of the slowest out of all my riding buddies. i went riding yesterday at this drainage pit for about a half hour but all it is is dry and dusty turns. even though i hadn't rode for more than a month, my dad said i was turning noticibly faster. i have one buddy that is not much faster than me and hopefully i can surpass him this wednesday. then i have to improve a lot to get to the next guy in out group because all my other riding buddies are intermediates on 450's. still, i have improved a ton since the beginning of the year. i cant wait to go riding and getting ready for the next race. i just recently improved enough that i feel like i can be competitive in the junior class. hopefully i can improve and run up front in that class instead of more towards the back which is what i expected before. wish me luck on my first real ride this wednesday. hopefully this guy i know can make it there and i can ride his 2005 YZ250. i am kind of wanting one for next year but instead it would be a 2006.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Finally I can start riding again

What bike are you riding? =]
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Intermediate Class

2005 YZ250F. but, like i said, im lookin at the 2006 YZ250.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Pro Class

Nice to hear ...I wanna try a 250f so bad...the only thing holding me back from really buying one is if the engine blows up you get a nice fat bill...even with a yearly rebuild your going to spend at least 500 as where a two stroke is 100..
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoei_391 View Post
Nice to hear ...I wanna try a 250f so bad...the only thing holding me back from really buying one is if the engine blows up you get a nice fat bill...even with a yearly rebuild your going to spend at least 500 as where a two stroke is 100..
Hey did your username used to be dirtbikekid(something)?

Because i could have swore that person had that same pic as you in their sig.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Pro Class

Yeah it was dirtbikekid1337 but I decided that that was really cheesy lol
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Intermediate Class

exactly. last year a little bit of dust got in the engine and, while it didnt seize, it would only start if we bump started it. we took it in and next thing you know we had a 2K plus repair bill. this is the main reason for a 2006 YZ250. i also want more power in a bike that is still very light. i want better handling that dosnt feel top heavy, and i want to be able to throw on a new top-end in an hour. sounds like the perfect bike to me, as long as i can handle it out on the track. it would also be much beter for sand and hopefully for the woods too. i would stick with a 125 or a 250 2 stroke. 4-strokes may be fast, but they may not live to fight another day. if a two-stroke blows on you all you need to do is to pull out a spare top-end and screw it on.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoei_391 View Post
Yeah it was dirtbikekid1337 but I decided that that was really cheesy lol
Haha alright i thought so! :P
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Expert Class

First, congrats on the all-clear to ride! I know how it is... I broke my left elbow the summer before last and it was months before it was strong enough for me to ride again. What an agonizing few months that was!

Second, studying what the pros do is a very good way to learn to go faster if you can't actually get on the bike. Watching AMA motocross and supercross races is something I did a lot of when I got back into dirt biking. Remember when you're out there to be aware of things like your positioning on the bike and your body posture. Until it becomes second nature, it really takes some concentration to keep yourself in the correct attack position on the bike. Always be mindful of sitting far enough forward and always think about your elbows, especially in corners. Keep them up! There's a test I do when I'm on the track just to make sure I'm staying forward enough, which is every so often I just look straight down. If I can't see the numbers on my front plate, I know I'm too far back on the bike.

Speed on a track is determined in the corners. It doesn't take any talent to grab a handful of gas on a straight. When you're going into corners, don't coast. Stay on the gas until you have to brake, keep your outside elbow up in the sky, sit as far forward as you can, push your outside knee into the tank and push down on that outside peg with your foot. Every time you go through the same corner, try staying on the gas a bit longer as you approach it, braking a little later, entering with a tad more speed and getting back on the gas a little earlier than the last time through.

Before you know it, you'll be riding much faster than before and the body positioning will become more second-nature, less something you have to concentrate on.

Good luck out there!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Intermediate Class

yeah, when i went riding for the little bit yesterday, i noticed that i was turning more off the rear wheel and i had much better body position. every time i take a break i lose my bad habits and grow new ones.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Expert Class

Congrat's, I wish I had the OK to ride, I've been out since March 24th!!!

My friend just rode my '06 YZ-125 today and said yet again it's awsome for a 125, this is the 4th time he's gotten to ride it.

I have yet to ride it once
Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Da Bunny

Oh to be young again! One month after a broken wrist and you are riding? I'm with Drew - been out for a month and looking at another three before I can ride again due to my broken ankle.

Sometimes when you stop riding for a while then start back, it can be a good thing. You tend to forget some of the bad habits you didn't know you had. Good luck and best wishes!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Intermediate Class

actually the break wasnt all that bad really. on the X-ray, you couldn't even hardly see it. it was just a very tiny dark spot on the edge of the growth plate. i was in a freaking splint for 8 days before i even got to the doctors offfice. by then i even had pretty good movement considering it was broke. the doctor could only tell it was broke from poking and bending it. from the pain he just said it was broke. i got my cast off on a tuesday and wanted to go ridin the next day, but the doctor "reccommended" i dont ride track for 2 weeks. i wanted to anyway, but my dad say i couldnt, period, for the next two weeks. it was just a small small crack.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamah177 View Post
actually the break wasnt all that bad really. on the X-ray, you couldn't even hardly see it. it was just a very tiny dark spot on the edge of the growth plate. i was in a freaking splint for 8 days before i even got to the doctors offfice. by then i even had pretty good movement considering it was broke. the doctor could only tell it was broke from poking and bending it. from the pain he just said it was broke. i got my cast off on a tuesday and wanted to go ridin the next day, but the doctor "reccommended" i dont ride track for 2 weeks. i wanted to anyway, but my dad say i couldnt, period, for the next two weeks. it was just a small small crack.
Haha. Whenever i used to skate..i broke my toe..and i had to get like..my foot casted in this weird way..i don't know why they didn't just put that little metal thing around it..but anyway..whenever igot the cast off..they put a boot..and he told me not to skate for another 2 months..i started skating while i was in the little boot! Haha.

I regret it though..because now the toe still hurts when i bend it someways..and i think it's because i didn't let it heal well enough...

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion