All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Expert Class

Default Filterskins

I don't know if yall have done this or think this may be the most stupid idea but I'm gonna shoot anyway. Now that I got my first race bike I found out that the air filter on it is huge. My TTR's old filter was no bigger than my fist and the airbox was real restrictive so you never really had to clean the filter that often. But on my CR its different. Cleaning the filter is a pain and you have to use way more oil and cleaner. I think everyone knows oil and cleaner is expensive. So I looked into those filterskins from PC racing. Man, I found out for 3 of them they were $15 plus shipping if your gettin them out of a catalog. But I saw them at my dealer and it seemed like they were nothing more than panty hose or a disposable sock. So I got another idea. I decided to look into disposable sox. They seem to be the same thing. You can get them for free from any shoe store or those tux stores. I dunno if this is a real stupid idea or what. But I think it might work. Just lettin yall in on possibly a good thing. I'm gonna oil one and put it on my CR as soon as I get it back.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: Filterskins

TTR,

My sugestion is to get the skins. Two things that you just can't scimp on are oil changes and air filter cleaning and changes. I have heard alot of guys say they really like them from the clean-up stand point because they catch all the big stuff and are easier to clean.

Using the skins doesn't aleviate the need to do the required maintance it just makes the clean up a little faster.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Expert Class

Unless your doing long enduro racing - I would just keep cleaning your filter. Cleaning and mantaining your air filter is not the area you want to find the cheapest way possible....

A top end for your bike cost alot more than filters and filter oil.

I use no-toil for my filter oil and it seems to clean up pretty easy.

http://www.notoil.com/
Old 08-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Expert Class

Yeah, I was throwing around an idea. I ride alot and do more than enough maintence. Chain, spokes, use best oil, clean carb, keep the filter as clean as possible, etc. Its just I'm on a limited budget and need the money for plugs, oil, and gas. And I tell ya that dern filter is pretty big and gets dirty quick as I ride ALOT. I'm sick of ridin up to the dealer and dumpin my money into filter oil and cleaner. As, I use Bel ray or No toil and thats usually around $15 for the oil and cleaner. I figured if I used the disposable sox I could just simply oil it and go. Therefore reducing the amount of times I have to clean my filter. I'ma go ahead and try it just to see how it works. But yall are right, the airbox is a VERY important thing and I shouldn't abuse it just to save a couple bucks.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Expert Class

I tend to be a clean freak when it comes to air filters, but that can't be all bad..?

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion