All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Beginner Class
Default Factory SX bikes

As most already know the AMA banded Factory works bike back in the 80's just as things where really heating up. Then they came up with the even worse Displacement rule. To drive the nail in the coffin so to speak.

So the point Im trying to come across, is why do the factory teams now today have so much slack to modified the modern 250/450F bike SX bikes?

Look at this video and say those are not one steps a way from full works bikes. They can choose whatever forks brand they want Honda with kayaba and showa, KTM on Kayaba forks not WP using air rear shock last year! Also it was said in MXA a few times that the suspenion for the big team bikes say pro circuit kawi as example have some Kayab/Showa internal works parts that no one else has access to.

In this video attached it also goes over some the engine and case mods, grind a bit hear drill a bit there, anodize the cases, remove gears, and a hydraulic clutch on the honda that was on last year worlds and mxGp bikes.

Not sure if some of this was allowed back in the late 80's to 2006? But I almost always saw it was more about the rider than the bike anyway.

Also nothing against work bike! I just dont get that todays 4 stroke dont have to fallow the rules that made them a player in the first place, Who knows where 2 strokes would be if they kept going with the works bikes and didnt give the new bike a unfair advantage.

Most of the last year 06/07 2 strokes are very similar to the last gen of 1980 works bike, some are completely unchanged cr500r for example!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Welcome To ATM

Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 AM

The "works" rule (paraphrasing here) pretty much says that the bike and the parts have to be available for sell to the public, they can't be one-off creations. Can I afford A-kit Showa suspension? No, but I COULD buy it if I wanted to. To my knowledge there was never any rule against modifying parts or removing them. I think the exception to the "available to public" part is in the tuning- stuff such as porting, suspension settings etc can be factory specific.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Beginner Class

Many mods can be made to existing parts....we just don’t necessarily get those mods on our budgets. Titanium, magnesium, carbon fiber and aluminum as well as super slick coatings are all available but out of reach money wise to us mortals.
I am curious about tires. Many are specific race materials not available to the public.
Also there’s a factory exemption the manufactures can use once a year or me out here.....
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
will fall over

Well, the playing field certainly isn’t level when it comes to privateer mods. Sure JJ McRacer can try to qualify with legs and head he sent to PC but he is not going to get the team treatment even though the work will cost him plenty. Motor mods aside, the ama rule I can’t get my head around is the weight restriction. Sure Mitch and Mr Gibbs can buy all the Ti they need to save a few oZ, but the bikes are rolling out the dealership nearly exceeding the minimum 212 dry weight for a 250f. Talk about killing the R&D

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion