All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Everyone

Last weekend, Fathers Day. I went to Southfork to ride. I rode alone in the woods , which was a mistake on my part. I crashed pretty hard. Got pretty bruised up and had xrays of my shoulder,it was fine but is still hurting.
I made the decision that I cant risk getting injured riding. So, Saturday I got a call and an offer for my 250f and sold it. I dont know if I will get another dirt bike. I really had to think hard about this, but I made the choice.
This is a great place and I have really enjoyed the family and friends I have made since coming here in 2003. God bless everyone here. John
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: Everyone

Wow John, I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Not an easy choice to make, riding or not riding your ATM family will always be here for you!!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Pro Class

I for one, since I did the same thing after I tore my ACL, can understand where you are coming from. It's not easy, I miss it everyday. I still love the sport and watch the races on the tube every week and go to Mt. Morris every year. MX is part of me and I don't think I can ever totally let it go.

You know just because you sold your bike doesnt mean you have to go away. I'm still hanging out here in the shadows, reading posts and playing fantasy MX/SX. I don't post as much since I am not riding but I still like reading what everyone else is up to.

Good luck with your decision, maybe you'll ride again maybe you won't either way you will always have friends here.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
ATM Contributor!

Glad to hear youre ok buddy! Alone in the woods, major crash, I can only imagine how scary it could be. Im sure you didnt take this decision lightly so no sense in trying to convince you otherwise. Besides, Im probabaly one bad crash away from joining you in your retirement. I echo MWV's sentiments when he says theres no need to stay away from the site. We'd still like to know what youre up to!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM
ATM! Pro Class

John,
I am glad that you are OK, but I hate to hear you will not ride. I like to think that is a temporary situation. What ever your decision is I can respect that, BUT you do not have to leave ATM and/or stop participating. Your part of the Family now, so please act accordingly and stay in touch.

All the BEST to you and Lynn.

Your Ole Friend,

Mike Berg
"Motodad393"
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 AM
ATM Contributor!

Sorry to hear about the crash John.

Also sorry to hear about your decision to stop riding, I would be a liar if I told you that thought hasn't crossed my mind a million times in the last 6-7 months or so, I can resect your decision wholeheartedly.

However that being said, please don't leave ATM, there is no call for that. Justy cause you don't ride doesn't mean you have to leave here.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Well, I really never said I was leaving ATM, sorry if that is the message I sent across. me and Lyn will stay involved and be official cooks or workers at the rides that are planned,just right now, it is very hard for me to be injured and I didnt want to make payments on a bike I wont be using.

By the way, the guy who bought the bike looked alot like RC.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
ATM Contributor!

I know that was a tough decision and you'll get no brow-beating from me. Heal quickly, stay in touch, and start planning the meals for the next get-together
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Expert Class

Hey John,

I'm sorry to hear your still beat up after the crash. I understand the decision. I was back and forth on it a million times myself last year when I got hurt. So hard to let go, even when it's the smart thing to do. I guess it is in our blood.

anyway I hope/pray you heal up fast. It helped me knowing my friends were my friends whether I rode or not. Same goes for you. Besides, it's something you can always come back to if you change your mind down the rode, so don't sweat it.

PS. who is the lucky guy to buy your bike?

take care, Joe
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM
cha cha

JohnJon...I'm sure this was a tough decision and one I completely respect. When I first read your post, it sounded like you were leaving ATM. I'm very glad to hear that's not the case!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM
ATM! Pro Class

That's a tough one. First off, like everyone else here, I'm glad that you're okay.

Also, no need to disappear just because you aren't dirt scooterin'. This is still a great place to just chat and share stuff.

Lastly, after my big crash and injury I was pretty sure that I was done. I spent a long time contemplating whether i would ride again or not. After having parts of your face bolted back together it sort of leaves you with an uneasy feeling, to say the least. But over time I started getting back on the scooter and although I don't have the same ferocity and desire that I had before, I still enjoy riding, but for a different reason. I am about half as fast as I used to be and there are jumps that I did before with my eyes closed that I won't consider now, but now I am riding for the fun of it. I no longer worry about my speed or racing or if someone is faster than me. I just worry about having fun and not doing anything that could put me in the hospital again.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:40 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Hey, I hope you get to feeling better quick!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Intermediate Class

John - it's all pretty much been said already so let me just echo it again.

Glad you're OK, crashing alone in the woods is a pretty good reality check! I hope you heal quick.

This site is awesome for many reasons beyond riding. We all need to stay connected!

So did RC just pick up a new 250F? lol

Hang in there!

BV
Old 06-25-2007, 01:32 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Glad to hear you arn't leaving ATM John. I respect and understand your decision too. Maybe now is a good time for you to restore that MR!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Funny you mention that, I was just telling Lyn the same thing. I need an engine for that though.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von B View Post
That's a tough one. First off, like everyone else here, I'm glad that you're okay.

Also, no need to disappear just because you aren't dirt scooterin'. This is still a great place to just chat and share stuff.

Lastly, after my big crash and injury I was pretty sure that I was done. I spent a long time contemplating whether i would ride again or not. After having parts of your face bolted back together it sort of leaves you with an uneasy feeling, to say the least. But over time I started getting back on the scooter and although I don't have the same ferocity and desire that I had before, I still enjoy riding, but for a different reason. I am about half as fast as I used to be and there are jumps that I did before with my eyes closed that I won't consider now, but now I am riding for the fun of it. I no longer worry about my speed or racing or if someone is faster than me. I just worry about having fun and not doing anything that could put me in the hospital again.
I think Baron hit it right on the head there! A big injury will make you reconsider a lot of things. I started early, breaking my back when i was 13, and again when I was 19. My dreams of MX stardom, which were dim at best to start with, were extinguished, but replaced by a much more satisfying feeling of actually riding for the sheer enjoyment! I'm way slower, but I have a lot of fun just being on a bike and appreciating it. It took me several years to just get my butt back on a real bike, minibikes notwithstanding, but I'm glad I did. Good to hear you're sticking around here on ATM, and hope you have a speedy recovery!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Da Bunny

Oh man! I am so glad you are not hurt badly, John! I think at one time or another we have all considered giving it up after an injury. I have thought about it many times myself but my heart would be empty. I think that's a great idea of restoring that bike! You can still tinker with motorcycles and not worry about getting hurt. Best wishes John and I know this wasn't an easy decision to make.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Pro Class

John,

Glad you’re all right and it was not a bad get off epically since you were all a lone, it could have been a lot worst. I too thought you were saying good bye which would have not been a good thing. Maybe later on you'll get the bug again as you know it never truly leaves you....

Take care and I hope you heel quickly....
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
ATM Contributor!

I support you 100% John! NOBODY knows when it is actually best to hang it up other than the man doing so. I can guarantee you nobody thinks less of you for retiring. If they do, then they have a problem.
My own philosophy is this............Every time I throw a leg over my bike, I realize I could be having another surgery before the day is over. I could be paralyzed or I could even be in the morgue before sunset. These are things that every dirt biker should keep in the forefront of his mind. As a matter of fact, I fully expect to be posting up about another surgery one of these days.

Yes, with X-rays, Char!

It's been over 15 months since I've broken a bone. I'm due.
However, having said that, I don't even blink when a faster rider blows by me. There is no "ego" that wants to keep up. There is no "desire" to twist the throttle harder and push myself and my bike to the limit. And there is no "regret" that I am riding slower than many of the riders on the track any particular day. I still feel the thrill of catching air, carrying the front wheel over the bumps, and finessing that throttle as my rear tire almost passes my front tire. I absolutely LOVE to race! And I WILL break another bone. WITHOUT A DOUBT. And I just hope it's one bone at a time. Time is marching for us all and I will actually consider hanging it up someday myself. I would like to think that I will just keep backing it down and taking less risk but the risk will always be there to some extent.
What I really want to say about your retirement is this...... As I get older, I learn to respect those who are older than me more and more. I will be where you guys are shortly. I hope that makes sense.

I look forward to seeing you again, John.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion