All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 10:56 PM
ATM! Addict

Default DMC National Race Report

Well I am very tired and fatigued but I finished another national and that in itself is an accomplishment. I also finished with only one fall and it was a tommy tip-over. The bike stayed running I picked it up and proceeded to get the guys back that passed me.

It’s a long story leading up to the race and making it all come together so I could race. The work on my bike went out to the race grounds Saturday having to put the new pipe on there. I bought the pipe from one of the D-37 racers who is also a distributor for White Bros. I thought all I had to do was install the new pipe and ride………Noooootttttttt!! I had another d-37 racer give me a head pipe well that turned out to be so tweaked I couldn’t get it to work. I ended up trying to buy a head pipe from the Yamaha teams and nobody had one so it was off to the FMF truck to buy a new one. I bought a power bomb header for $120.00 (using DBK’s sponsorship from FMF) to get the best deal I could. Once I paid for that, knowing we really didn’t have the money, I got the whole new system installed only to find out my jetting on the pilot circuit was way off.

I did some jetting FS adjustments and testing until sun down on Saturday and settled for what I had. It turned out to be way off still and I fought the bike the whole race. It had a terrible hesitation and when I snapped the throttle to loft the front end over whoops or other obstacles it wasn’t there right away. It took a half second or so to come to life just long enough to really make it hard ride.

Some of you may have followed my week with working every night to get’er done. It was touch and go but I made it. The race itself, I will post tomorrow as I really need to get a shower and get to bed to rest my weary body. No race next weekend so a needed rest and time to maybe work the jetting and do some work on the motorhome. Wait until you see the pictures I took of the 2 loop finish you will be amazed and I am sure the pictures won’t do it justice. Can you say rocky downhill where bikes should never have been wow!

I know some of you want to know how I did, well you will have to read the race portion of my report tomorrow to find out.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:19 PM
cha cha

Default Re: DMC National Race Report

Can't wait to hear the rest Dane!

I saw pictures of the second loop from last year....I think even mountain goats woulda been skeered on those rocks!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 AM
ATM! Addict

Part two of my race report:

I was able to make one run on the 5 mile start on Saturday as part of my testing for the jetting. It was long rough and rocky with many trails crossing the run. I knew it was going to be dusty as the moisture from the rain we have had has evaporated from the top inch or two of soil. Knowing it was rough and the memories of falling at a high rate of speed last week, I told myself no heroism on the start.

I left my bike with some friends and went into town for dinner and a hotel. I stopped at a café for some breakfast on my way back in and thought about the day to come. Once back to the race grounds I started to get a little nervous and I thought I was over that. I think being a national and the drive to do well without falling or breaking got to me.

The skies were blue the air was clean, and the temps were about 60-65 at start time 9:30. The expert line had all the big names in the sport of off road racing including Kellon Walch from the Dakar KTM Redbull Usa team. I went up to him shook his hand and told him he made us all proud. Other names were Ty Davis, Brian Brown, Steve Hengeveld, Russ Pearson, Destry Abbott all the big boys and all the fast district 37 racers too.

The start was dusty as expected. I saw that expert line take off and that made me a little more nervous. I sat on my bike planning what I was going to do in each situation on my start, basically take it easy was the order of the day. I got a good start first kick in gear and took off. That has been working for me in the last few races however on this day it seemed there were many beginners with something to prove. Once I was out about a mile or so people started passing me and it became very dusty. Conditions deteriorated fast, however there was a slight breeze coming out of the east so I moved to my right to get out of the dust and slowed down. I told myself no worries it’s a long national caliber course and there will be mistakes made and attrition will happen. I knew I could make up my time later in the race. Staying on two wheels and being smart would pay off in the long run.

Once we arrived at the bomb the trail was full of riders and rocks. I took my place on the trail and started to get into my rhythm conserving energy for later when the bonsai boys get tired. About 5 miles past the bomb we come to a waterfall and a line of riders. Approx 10 course workers manned the waterfall. They were there to help get people thru the obstacle. They had two lines the bike line was a double drop of about 3 feet each rocks to rocks to sand at the bottom. The other line was a quad alternate and that had about a 3 foot single drop. When I arrived there was about 12 guys in a line waiting to go down the bike lane. The course workers were calling bikes over to go down the quad lane so I pulled out of line and went straight to the quad lane. Passed about 12-14 guys there.

About 17 miles into the loop there was a sand wash that made a right turn with steep sides to it. Once in there was no way out. As I rolled up and started rounding the turn another line of riders but this time many of them were turning around and going out. I immediately turned around and took the alternate that everybody else was taking which was a small hill climb that dropped us back into the sand wash past the bottle neck. Passed another dozen there.

The technical sections were tougher than usual but since I have trained in that type of terrain this past summer I didn’t mind too much. The only draw back was the bike not running well. There were miles of whoops and I mean 3’ deep whoops with sand 4-6 inches deep and hidden rocks in the sand that would buck you off if you hit them wrong. The course had everything sand, whoops, rocks, single track goat trails with rock, hill climbs (plenty of them) and valley crossings that were constant chop and sharp edged cross grain due to the rain runoff from the recent storms here in So. Calif.

When I came into check 3 they told me I was third in class. That gave me some motivation to keep a good pace for a while hoping to catch the 1st and 2nd place guys making mistakes. One quad did pass me and he was flying. He did things I didn’t think could be done on a quad. But that’s why he was leading the national quad contingent.

In a national many riders that normally run 2 loops only go one. They know that it’s going to be a rough second loop for the top national boys. This particular club Desert M.C. is known for making their national courses hard. The second loop on this day was 60 miles of the roughest terrain we have out there. With this in mind the 1 loop results are much more inflated in terms of numbers of riders. I finished in 142 O/A. When I left my finish line there were still riders coming in and they were up to 202 that had finished to that point. I was the second rider in my class with district numbers however there are so many people with pie plates it’s hard to tell where exactly I finished. I am expecting maybe 4th could go lower than that. This particular race is also one of the points paying events in the enduro series, which I am competing in this year in addition to the desert series. I will be very curious to know where I finished against the enduro guys in my class. Because it’s a national the results will be posted (unofficial) in about a week.

This is my 3rd national I have entered since starting to race and my third finish. That makes me proud to be able to say.

Thanks for reading my story. I will post some pictures when I get home from work tonight.

DBD
Old 01-24-2005, 02:44 PM
ATM! Addict

Also thanks to Mainjet2001 and his club for an awesome soul searching course! I saw him out there and said hey. I was going to get my check mark from him but when I pulled up he was hidden behind another guy so I stopped at the first guy. Sorry Leroy! I did try to roost you on my way out though. J/K
Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Awsome job on the ride AND the write-up Dane!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:01 PM
ATM! Addict

Here are two links to a couple of pics from the National this past weekend. Picture one /Picture two. Enjoy there is more if you want them.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:13 PM
ATM! Addict

I guess the reports are getting old.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:49 AM
ATM! Addict

Thanks for the report Dane and you did a killer job.
Desert M/C worked their fannies off on this one and were very sensitive to the danger areas with club members there for help.

Top 20,
1 Russell Pearson Henderson, NV Yamaha
2 Destry Abbott Peoria, AZ Kawasaki
3 Ty Davis Hesperia, CA Yamaha
4 Steve Hengeveld Oak, Hills, CA Honda
5 Brian Brown Boise, ID Kawasaki
6 Quinn Cody Los, Olivos, CA KTM
7 Joey Lanza Rialto, CA KTM
8 David Pearson Las, Vegas, NV Kawasaki
9 Kellon Walch Las, Vegas, NV KTM
10 Matt Gosnell Las, Vegas, NV KTM
11 David Kamo New, Plymouth, ID Kawasaki
12 Nicholas Blais Stanton, CA Honda
13 Luke Dodsen Castaic, CA Suzuki
14 Paul Krause Irvine, CA KTM
15 Mike Childress Wrightwood, CA Honda
16 Elmer Symons Riverside, CA KTM
17 Justin Soule Reno, NV Kawasaki
18 John T Campbell San, Clemente, CA Honda
19 Ryan Abbatoye Ridgecrest, CA Kawasaki
20 Mike D Koncur Hesperia, CA Yamaha

Lots of sidelines, like look at position #12, you know, the guy (Blais) who just came back from Dakar after finishing 9th in the toughest 17 day off road race ever (5000 miles).
Like Dane, I Talked to Blais at signup and told him how proud I was of his effort at the Dakar event. Blais is one neat guy and I just finished watching him on the OLN Dakar event.
Also notice Kellon Walch in at 9th position and I missed him at signup.
Seen a lot of old friends as the Desert M/C race pulls them out of the woodwork.

Had a bonfire, tug-a-war, and a DJ with loud music…..LOL, love it. By the way, Desert M/C won the tug-a-war contest by beating the Checkers and the 4 Ace's. The 4 Aces tied a quad on the end of the rope and we still beat them.

Went to the 1st check (on my bike) on Sunday and it was a Chinese fire drill. Lots of riders coming fast for the crayon. Spent my time slowing riders for a road crossing just beyond the check. No one got off at the road crossing.
At the finish, all the front runners were tired but they also had a smile on their faces.
Thanks for hollering Dane, made me feel good.

Look for Cyclenews which will have a complete story in the next 2 weeks.
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7085
http://dirtrider.com/news/141_0501_lucerne/

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion