All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Changed my mind about which bike to get

I had planned on getting a new CRF450X, and had been quoted by two dealers in Feb that I could get it for $6150 and $6050. The $6150 was from a dealer that was local, where as the $6050 is about a two hour drive from where I am. Well I went back to the local dealer this past weekend and because the bike is a great seller, they will now not let it go under retail which is around $7000. I have not checked with the other dealer yet to see if their price has changed, but their website, www.procycleusa.com still shows the current price at $5999, but is listed as out of stock.

Well this got me to thinking on the the way I will be riding. I am a recreational trail rider. I live in the city and usually drive a few hours to my parents land to ride. Which means I usually only ride on weekends. Where I ride is pretty much wide open fields, gravel roads, gravel/sand bars by rivers and streams, and some woods trails. The woods trails are not super tight, technical trails.

Anyway I have decided to get a brand new '03 or '04 CR250. The dealer at www.procycleusa.com has them both. The '03 I can get for around $4000 and the '04 for around $4500. The best part is I can pay cash for one of these and not have to finance anything.

My last dirt bike was an '84 CR250 so I'm sure either one will feel like a vast improvement to that. The CRF450X may be in my future, but right now I just can't seem to bring myself to spending the extra money for something I don't get to do as often as I'd like to. Guess I've rambled on long enough.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Changed my mind about which bike to get

I just cannot justify spending $6,000 or more for a dirt bike. Way too much money. Now with the 4 stroke madness, nobody will give a deal. I'm probably going to get a new 04 2 stroke. Save $$$ still have lots of fun and not jump on the bandwagon just yet.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Make sure and talk to pro cycle before you drive there to check on those bikes. I have it on good reputation that they list the prices low and then charge quite a bit for set up and freight before they will let you leave with the bike. What I'm saying is get a definite "out the door" price for whatever bike you are looking at. Pro Cycle lists their bikes on ebay for barely anything and then when you show up to get the bike they tack on an extra 750-900 for frieght and set up.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Intermediate Class

Psyco hit the nail on the head. Get and OTD quote over the phone before showing up. I have had dealers try and tack on a $500 set up fee after we agreed upon a price (they did not get 1 penny of that!). Rediculous- I wonder how they would feel if they went to Best Buy to purchase a TV and were charged a surprise "set up" fee at the register! Now I only deal OTD on any motor vehicles and I have had no problems since.

Good luck with your purchase. The deal on the CR250 sounds pretty good.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Intermediate Class

Well in Feb. when I called them about the OTD price on the 450X they told me it would be $6050. If I did drive there and they pulled a fast one by raising the price, I would have no problem telling them no, and then coming back to St. Louis and buying from one of the local dealers even if I had to pay more.
In '97 I was shopping for a new Mustang, I went to one dealer who must have thought I was a waste of his time, and it was real apparent in the way he was dealing with me. I had an interest in one of the cars he had on the lot, but his attitude totaly turned me off. I ended up leaving and at another nearby dealer I ended up buying a GT off them. I made sure to stop at that first dealer and show him what I got and that I was not interested in anything he had, and I told him what I thought of him. If I'm dishing out a lot of money, I want to be treated with respect and not taken advantage of.

I do think they may be legit as a guy I used to work with bought a street bike from them. He got a really good deal and then they even threw in some free cargo straps cause he forgot to take some with him.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:40 AM
Pro Class

Or just go to motorcycle-brokers.com and have one shipped to you in the crate.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Pro Class

I would buy from motorcycle brokers! I think they have some 03 cr250s still in the crate, and more than likely some 04s. They have good prices, they don't add tax, and they ship anywhere in the U.S. for $200 or less.

But first I would get an OTD quote on the local cr250, because I think motorcycle-brokers' 04 cr250s are a bit more expensive than that.

Whatever happens, you won't be disappointed. Cr250s are great bikes, for track OR trails. All the ones I've ridden have had great bottom end.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Class

A couple months ago I bought an '05 CRF450. It too is a hot-selling bike, but there was no way I was going to pay retail or above. And there is no reason why one need to either. Here is the strategy I have used for heavy equipment purchases in the past, and it works great for motorcycles as well:

1. First start a file folder to organize and maintain all your research information. It needs to be ready and accessible. I then search for the absolute best out-the-door (OTD) prices that people have been getting for this bike. In the case of the CRF450, Thumpertalk is a great source for this information. Record these prices, locations, and phone number of the dealer if it is available.

2. I then narrow my search to determine the best deals by region in the United States. The best price someone gets in California is going to be a great deal different than the best price in, say, Tennessee and surrounding states. A good source for regional prices around here is the Cycle Trader magazine. In addition to listing used bikes, it has ads from the regional dealers and lists great prices on new bikes. I also went out to the official Honda website and search for a list of dealers by state and area code. Print that list out and put it in your folder, as you will be surprised at what you can find.

3. I then call these dealers and confirm OTD prices and availability. Make sure that these are out-the-door quotes you are getting. Always write down the name of the person with whom you spoke, the date and time, and any other details of your conversation.

4. I typically do not find traveling more than two hours to purchase a bike a very good investment of my time. There are, however, some major incentives that may be available for you if you purchase something of this nature out-of-state (i.e., sales tax percent, etc.), so check on that issue as well with the dealers you call.

5. Once I have established the target region and confirm availability of product, I then indicate to the dealer nearest me the best OTD price I have found to date--even if it is still some distance away (but it still has to be close enough that the dealer considers it a regional competitor for your business). I tell the dealer that I have no desire to haggle or anything of the sort--but I just want to know straight-up if they will match this OTD price, or what their best price is. Be sure you are honest and accurate with your competing price, as they often do check. If you are dishonest, you are wasting everyone's time.

6. Be advised that in my experience, the best deals are often obtained if you have cash in hand. But I have still found dealers willing to match even if financed, so that is not a hard-and-fast rule. If they match the best competing price (or come close), and you wish to purchase, ask the dealer if you need to put a deposit down to reserve the bike. If it is over an hour's driving time, I highly recommend that you request they fax you a written statement on the agreed-upon OTD price. It is very possible for someone who knows you are coming some distance to suddenly have an "unforseen" price increase when you actually arrive. The faxed copy of your OTD price agreement protects you from vulnerability in those contexts.

A motocross bike (excluding the YZ's) has no warranty, so paying extra to have dealer support is irrelevant to me. Our local dealer will still sell me parts, etc. My strategy, however, has been quite different when I have made large purchases in the past on things that will require dealer support (viz., tractors, heavy equipment). I have learned it is worth it NOT to get the best deal in those cases, but instead sometimes pay a little extra to establish and maintain good grounds and the relationship necessary for dealer support.

I hope some of these points are helpful to you. Using this approach, I was able to pick up the '05 CRF450 for $5,899 OTD and only had to travel two hours (each way) to pick it up. If your first choice is the CRF450x, then I would not let some wild retail or above price deter you . . . .

Last edited by DCox; 03-18-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMojo17
I would buy from motorcycle brokers! I think they have some 03 cr250s still in the crate, and more than likely some 04s. They have good prices, they don't add tax, and they ship anywhere in the U.S. for $200 or less.

But first I would get an OTD quote on the local cr250, because I think motorcycle-brokers' 04 cr250s are a bit more expensive than that.

Whatever happens, you won't be disappointed. Cr250s are great bikes, for track OR trails. All the ones I've ridden have had great bottom end.
I'm pretty sure they are charging $300 for shipping right now because I was thinking of buying my next bike there. I imagine when you put the title of the bike in your name, the state is going to collect the sales tax.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:25 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Why put a MX bike's title in youre name? Im the third owner of my KX, and i have the title, but its still in the first owners name.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion