All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Beginner Class

Default Bike cleaning

Just wondering what everybody else uses to clean their bikes. I use general car wash on the plastics, degreaser on the chain and mag wheel cleaner on the aluminum. The mag wheel cleaner I use is clear coat and painted wheel safe and it brings the engine cases, rims and other alloy parts up so clean.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Intermediate Class

I use Simple green. I have a hot soft water faucet in my garage and I connect my power washer to that. I'm also careful where I point the power washer, keeping it away from steering head, linkage engine seals etc..

Sometimes I use foaming tire cleaner on the tires, under the rear fender and back of air box.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Manufacturer Dude

I use Castrol Super Clean run through the pressure washer. Be careful - it's powerful stuff and will tarnish aluminum. Nothing works better in my opinion - even though it is a tad harsh if used straight.

Scott
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Simple Green baby that stuff is AWESOME!!!!! and a car wash.... careful to keep pointed away from stickers...
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
ATM! Addict

yeah,,don't want to ruin the stickers. fyi dont spray right at any engine part,,dont spray at any bearing, dont spray right at the spokes,,,,in fact I don't use a pressure washer at all since I think they cause more problems in the long run. an old product called "spic and span" disolved in warm water is the main wash I use,,rinse with a standard pressure hose. a product called deepcreep is then used to clean off remaining grease. for chains i pretty much have gone to just using a nylon bristle brush.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag

As Andy said, avoid the pressure washer and Simple Green altogether. Simple Green pits aluminum (FAA has an airworthyness directive against its use on aircraft for this reason.) A pressure washer will blow past seals on bearings or gaskets and into critical parts. Just use a mild detergent like Spic and Span and warm water with a good scrub brush or rag. It takes more elbow grease but your bike will appreciate the extra care. Simple Green is too strong for aluminum parts and does not rinse easily.Been cleaning scoots since 1972 and learned things the hard way.

Best way to go about cleaning is to remove the seat and air filter. Place a filter cover in the air box and avoid spraying water into the bearing locations or the air box. The foam will harden with repeated soakings with a cleaner. I remove the chain, after washing and rinsing, and soak it in filter cleaner (Twin Air is my choice for the air filter and chain) and the let it dry after a good soaking with WD-40 to displace all water in the pins WD-40 is not a lubricant it is a water dispersant.)

These steps take a little more time but the bearing, seals and gaskets last much longer

Bill
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Intermediate Class

Both of these Aluminum framed bikes were cleaned ONLY with Simple Green both photos were taken right before I sold each bike. The CRF was 7 years old when I sold it and The CR250 was 3years old when I parted with it.
I never once had any pitting issues from using Simple Green. As you can see the metal on both bikes sparkles. I never leave any cleaner dry on the bike. Spray on then rinse using my power washer with hot water. Simple Green is great stuff! I also use WD40 after washing. Oh yeah you can have my power washer when you pry it from my cold dead hand.)
Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Intermediate Class

I Dilute my Simple Green as it's intended, never had a problem with it,. In fact I believe I clean just about everything including my trailers with it..
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Semper Fidelis

Usflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
Both of these Aluminum framed bikes were cleaned ONLY with Simple Green both photos were taken right before I sold each bike. The CRF was 7 years old when I sold it and The CR250 was 3years old when I parted with it.
I never once had any pitting issues from using Simple Green. As you can see the metal on both bikes sparkles. I never leave any cleaner dry on the bike. Spray on then rinse using my power washer with hot water. Simple Green is great stuff! I also use WD40 after washing. Oh yeah you can have my power washer when you pry it from my cold dead hand.)
Tuck,
Not after your pressure washer and I am glad you had good luck with Simple Green. I have first hand experience with it and have read the AD from the FAA and seen the NAVAIR directive against using it on aluminum. Best of luck with the washer and Simple Green. Not looking to start something, just explaining what I learned as an engineer and from experience.

I am sorry if this bothers you. I should have been clearer. You are right on the frame and the rinse taking care of it. The pitting occurs when two aluminum surfaces mate, such as a clutch or ignition cover and the cases with a gasket, and the cleaner is trapped in the gasket between the surfaces. Wing spars on aircraft are particularly subject to the pitting.

As to the pressure washer the top line mechanics and tuners all recommend against using this high pressure which can force cleaner/solvent around a seal or gasket and into a bearing which washes out the grease. I see you avoid spraying directly at the bearing locations, as do I.

BTW, nice looking Hondas you had. My son had an 2002 CR125R that he polished out the frame on, they look sharp that way.

Just my experience since 1972. Not an absolute by any means. I just don't want anyone to damage their scoot. This is only what I have learned. Do a search here for this topic. Tyler Guidice who started this site is a pilot and an engineer posted the AD from the FAA back in 2002 and I read the NAVAIR directive in 2004. Also, where did you find the frame guards on the CR250R? they make the bike snap and look sharp.

Please feel free to PM me about this topic at any time. I'd love to discuss the ins and outs of Simple Green and using a Pressure Washer. I am just old school and use warm water and mild detergent along with some elbow grease to wash my 426, along with an exhaust bung and an air intake cover from Acerbis.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Florida 393; 01-24-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Beginner Class

hi,

I usually strip the plastics off, seat off, bung in the exhaust and airbox cover in.

pressure wash everything, mucoff everything, clean chain, moving parts, etc..

clean plastics and polish everything. re lube everything afterwards

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion