All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Intermediate Class

Question Auto Clutch Question

I know this has more than likely been asked before, but I am going to ask again. Is an auto clutch that much better than a standard manual clutch.

This past weekend I went single track riding in TN in the rain and the mud. Most of the riding (for this slow guy) was second gear work. My left hand was on the clutch lever most of the day.

Due to it being muddy I was riding in a gear higher to try and limit the wheel spin. Riding a gear higher and the limited traction also required me to slip the clutch a lot exiting turns and going up hills.

What I was thinking was it sure would have been nice to just put the bike in second and ride and let an auto clutch do all the work. Am I correct on this thinking.

Next question.
There were many limb and log crossing on this ride. The larger ones I down shifted to first with the RPMs up right below the point the engines comes on the pipe. I used a quick blip of the throttle and grunt to lift the front tire up and over. I would also grab the clutch and rev the engine up in second and dump the clutch to lift the front end. Is all this available with an Auto Clutch? Does the bike respond in the same manner?

Which brand?
There is EFM, Rev Lock and Rekluse (Z-start is the name that comes to mind) that I know of. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. I know that Rev-loc requires you to send in your basket to avoid the 300 dollar core charge. I think that EFM has you send yours in to be modified then they send it back. I know nothing about the Rekluse (that has got to spelled wrong sorry).

Installation?
I am assumming that the change is just a basket and pressure plate change. Is there anything else required.

Thanks for the information.

Oh it is for my 2002 KTM 300 EXC
Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Auto Clutch Question

I will start by saying I am running the Rekluse (z-start) on my 01 YZ426 and love it. I decided to get one after following my son on his XR100 all day thought the woods. He is slow at times.

Anyway.... I am able to climb over any logs with ease. Coast up the the log, give it a blup of gas and jump the log. They have a perch adjuster, which lets you use your clutch as normal, but I have not seen a need for one. Note: They do not make a perch adjuster for the Hydralic KTM clutchs yet. Check out the web site or give them a call. They have the best support rekluse

To install the z-start you just have to replace the presure plate and a few of the steal disks in your clutch pack. Simple. Let me know if you need any help

Dan
Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Intermediate Class

do you still have to clutch to shift and downshift? I don't know much about auto clutches other than the fact you don't need to roll off the clutch from a standing start.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Expert Class

I dont even have a clutch lever on my bike...

I drive it like an PW80 or an XR50. Shift it into gear and give it a twist

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion