All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Has ATM Become A Teen Forum?
Yes . . . we need to get back to discussing off-road riding. 76 69.72%
Yes, and too bad! 6 5.50%
No, discussing teen relationships is somehow related to off-road riding. 13 11.93%
No 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Class

Default Is ATM Now A Teen Moto Forum?

I joined ATM December 26th 2003 and for the first time found a nice online home where people of all ages and backgrounds came together to discuss their love of off-road riding and technical issues in a context that is family-oriented.

However, of recent either the demographics or the content emphasis of the site has taken a huge shift. I am curious what some of you have observed in this regard; hence, the poll . . . .
Old 06-17-2004, 07:16 PM
ATM! Addict

Default Re: Is ATM Now A Teen Moto Forum?

I think we need to stay a little closer to the topics related to All Things Moto.

It is not bad to share advice on other issues but most off topic stuff can be handled in private or better yet in the ATM chatroom......(like there are not enough chat rooms on the internet already! LOL).
Old 06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Class

I think its cool to see off topic stuff---Some of it we could do without-but some of it I can benefit and maybe get a laugh...

I agree with you DC, but sometimes its okay.

I nuetral on this vote.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Da Bunny

It's definately getting out of hand on the silly postings.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Expert Class

I think some times it can get a little outa hand but isnt it ok to give some advice to people that need it, even if it doesnt exaclty have to do with off road riding.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Class

I voted no. Considering how many teenagers we have, I dont think its out of hand. Like 4strk said, it provides a good laugh occasionally and reminds me how good it is to be past that phase in life.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Class

you should just have an off topic section like the old paintball forum
Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Class

I have noticed that the content of ATM has gone a little south lately. Not that we don't need advice on subjects that don't pertain to MX but I think it should take place elsewhere. Use the PM system or find a teen site of somesort and use that. I am in no way picking on any of the young guys or gals on ATM...we really want you guys here but I agree with D and Satch in the fact that we need to get back on track, use this site for what it was intended and remember GMB. JMO
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Class

aw man, me and yz250fkid went in one of those golivewire.com forums and there are some freaks in there..some of the topics were "why do you cut yourself and how does it feel" "how often do you think of committing suicide" "how many times have you been arrested" "im thinking of killin myself" and just crazy junk! seriously, you should just make an off topic section IMO
Old 06-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Beginner Class

I'm a little new to ATM but wanted to add my 2 cents. I get some great advice from this site and think it definitely accomplishes it's goal in helping riders. I also think it is OK for some off topic postings - within reason. I much rather see teens hanging out on ATM and sharing what is going on in their lives besides MX then off doing alot of other things teens could be doing - I think the more experinced members are a good role model and have some good advice to give if they choose to. Why I'm not a teen and don't need that advice I have learned a great deal about riding and bikes and appreciate it greatly.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Intermediate Class

First off i enjoy reading alot of the off topic conversations. However I did like it more when the posts were more about riding questions, places to ride and and what people had to say about bikes and equiptment. Having said that I still love ATM and think it is a great site
Old 06-17-2004, 08:00 PM
ATM! Pro Class

3/4 of the off topics wouldn't even be allowed on Thumper Talk, KTM Talk, or Dirtrider.Net so why should we allow them here?

There are enough non dirtbike forums where this off topic chit chat can occur.

I am in agreement that we need to get the train back on the tracks and I am going to start posting WAY OFF TOPIC, get the subject matter back to dirtbikes on post that I think are way off topic.

For every post that is created, it takes server space and someone has to pay for that server space each month and at the current moment its Tyler (the owner of ATM) covering 100% of that cost out of his own pocket. So if you want to start using server space that cost $$$ on non-dirt bike way too off topic post, then start sending Tyler G. your money and post away.

I'm sure Tyler will tell you if you ask how much server space and the server cost him each month so you can help contribute.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by KTM250rm393
3/4 of the off topics wouldn't even be allowed on Thumper Talk, KTM Talk, or Dirtrider.Net so why should we allow them here?

There are enough non dirtbike forums where this off topic chit chat can occur.

I am in agreement that we need to get the train back on the tracks and I am going to start posting WAY OFF TOPIC, get the subject matter back to dirtbikes on post that I think are way off topic.

For every post that is created, it takes server space and someone has to pay for that server space each month and at the current moment its Tyler (the owner of ATM) covering 100% of that cost out of his own pocket. So if you want to start using server space that cost $$$ on non-dirt bike way too off topic post, then start sending Tyler G. your money and post away.

I'm sure Tyler will tell you if you ask how much server space and the server cost him each month so you can help contribute.
I might as well throw in an agreement here....

As for servers.....I asked the guy that owns runboard.com how much bandwidth IN ONE DAY is generated, he said it was about 1.5 GIGs per day, at a bulk purchase of 350 euro's (donno conversion) a month running off banner ads. But thats a multi board system...for this one board, i'll put a bet at 100 bucks a month for all the fees.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Semper Fidelis

Angry Our level of quality is slipping

To all,
The overal level of duscussions is slipping into a teen angst site. If we want to have a specific forum for this type of posts so be it. However all of the forums are degenerating into a name calling contest or attempts to see who can come the closese to getting deleted or banned all toghther.

I want continued participation by the younger members. We had some really good technical and riding technique trheads going for a while. Now we are engnagedn in where to take a date in order to try and have sex, This is not what this site is about.

There is less and less technical and riding information of community news such as badly injured riders we could help out.
Look around at the names that post the most now. They are by and large unfamiliar. I have cut way back on posting due to the attitudes of several memebers and their attack dog mentallity.

We need to remember the group that founded and built this site to the fun place it can be. We helped any rider we could when they needed it. No nthere ae posts that are pretty offensive to our women and girl members. I don't try to overpower anyone but as Senior Moderator there are some posts I am going to simply delete for good. Not every deleted posts needs to become a voyuer thread in the Garbage section of the Moderator's forums for other moderators to be able to watch at theis leisure. Some things just need to be gotten rid of and my discussions with Tyler indicated that I had the authority to do so.

If this has changed so be it. I will continue to honor Garrett as a regular member as I did and still do at TT. Frrl free to remove my Senior Moderator's console if that is wnat the controlling authorities want. You will no get any negative feedback frm me over that.

Too much space is taken up in threaded conversation. The P.M. system could do for this task and free up server space somewhat.

Bill
Old 06-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by DCox
I joined ATM December 26th 2003 and for the first time found a nice online home where people of all ages and backgrounds came together to discuss their love of off-road riding and technical issues in a context that is family-oriented.

However, of recent either the demographics or the content emphasis of the site has taken a huge shift. I am curious what some of you have observed in this regard; hence, the poll . . . .

I'm glad someone had the nads to bring this up because I completely agree with DCox.
I've gotten to a point now that I was looking for another site to look at. This site has gotton so off topic. In fact I practically quit posting because of it.

I'm sure I know how the vote will come out!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Pro Class

i'm in complete agreement as well. like some of the others have mentioned, i too haven't been around nearly as much as i used to be. things have changed lately, and not for the better imho. it would be really cool if we got back to all-things-moto and drop the posts that would be better suited for a different forum (like dear abby).

-Z
Old 06-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Pro Class

After reading replies of people leaving or cutting down ATM time because of off topic stuff I votes Yes and it should change
Old 06-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Intermediate Class

I think it's cool to have O/T posts, but when there's as many O/T posts as there are moto related topics, I think it has gotten a little out of hand. One day I remember looking at a cool post about the 2005 bikes, then I found myself reading about some kid's disturbing love life! LOL (I think some will remember that post).

I voted yes.

Last edited by tman88g; 06-18-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Beginner Class

Not having been around that long I don't really have a basis for comparison as to the current state of affairs but I like to stick on topic as much as possible.

I agree with whoever said "get a paintball forum."

Teens who have motocross in common should get the privlige to share experiences in a moderated forum, so long as it's managable. I'm only guessing here, since I didn't MX as a kid, that these kids would be a tighter knit group than the suicide freaky tytpes.(hope that wasn't too far out of context)

Besides I was a teenager for 34 years!

o/d
Old 06-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Pro Class

I agree with Florida and others. The useless off topic posts not related to moto are getting out of hand. I as well have been turned away from ATM and hardly post anymore. There are other sites out there now that are far more interesting to somebody looking for information than ATM. Lets get ATM back on track and make this the best place to be again.
Closed Thread

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion