All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Has ATM Become A Teen Forum?
Yes . . . we need to get back to discussing off-road riding. 76 69.72%
Yes, and too bad! 6 5.50%
No, discussing teen relationships is somehow related to off-road riding. 13 11.93%
No 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Banned

Default Re: Is ATM Now A Teen Moto Forum?

I meet this really hot chick last night. What should I do? LMAO!!!

Post like these I think are stupid!

For as many kids there are on ATM I wouldn't be surprised to see a little goofing off, and worth less posts. But they are kids, most of the time they talk about Dirt bikes and related topics. I say who cares, let the kids be kids.

P4L

Last edited by Mecrazyperson; 06-18-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:53 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I agree with the older members (in postscounts that is!! ) It's nice sometimes to find a nice picture or something that's not related to enginedrivedvehicles, but like others have said, don't overdo this. I also hope to be back talking about our beloved sports although I'm never that much of a help!!!:
Old 06-18-2004, 09:58 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Oh Frakke,

Your totally wrong, you have helped GREATLY.

I love your videos that you have posted for us and I know I get lots of good comments, like Where does Raf find those.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Class

dude, its hilarious. We need an extremely off topic forum...so that all this stuff isnt in the general forum =D
Old 06-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MxMikeThumper393
dude, its hilarious. We need an extremely off topic forum...so that all this stuff isnt in the general forum =D
I agree!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Semper Fidelis

Unhappy On th eway out.....

I can see where this will go along, with the ideas put forth. Young members are very important and they definately need forums to find answers and to vent in. However when some members are trying to have a technical discussion or direct the tone of the site the threads get pretty much taken over.

A moderator spends more time policing profanity or suggestive images tatn they do getting the information they need or adding useful input. I see no good answer to this with the ratio of younger members to those say over 30.

Maybe we are headed to a geezer's forum for those of us that helped found this site with Tyler. I wish not but the tenor of the forums is as such. I am finding much more technical input and advice at TT now that they seem to be straightened out. I am now a basic member here as far as I am concerned. Tyler or Jonathan can P.M., email or phone me to discuss this but I am really out of answers.

Bill
Old 06-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Class

Wow, this is obviously really bothering some people. I didnt think it was that big of deal, but when I started going through the posts after this topic was brought up, I did notice a few members that seem to stray and post completely useless and unhelpful replies that dont even relate to the topic and often take over the discussion for awhile. I think the post count may contribute to this a little and immaturity. I am here to talk MX and bikes and can do without most of the stuff I stated above. Maybe the only way to stop them is tell them to knock it off or they can go play in the sandbox. Maybe we should make a "sandbox" (a temporary post block with their name listed to the side) for the kids that stray off topic, as a temporary timeout to let them know that this isnt about their spewing foolish posts. Its a shame to have to do this, but kids will be kids and everyone that has them knows they need a little timeout to reflect every now and then.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:49 AM
ATM! Pro Class

OK, here go my 0.02 cents. I think there needs to be moderation in the sense that OT post should be limited, and remain family friendly. I was dissapointed to see our young friend with the 'girl' issues being encouraged to pursue her in such a vulgar way by some members here. Not only is that not appropriate for this forum, it's poor advice in my opinion. To each his own. On the other hand, I have often enjoyed some of the OT threads. I enjoy talking about non-dirtbike related things with other dirt bikers. That is something I cannot get on some other forum on some other website. I visit ATM daily for two reasons: 1) it's a great place to talk dirt biking and ask questions I don't know the answers to, or get another perspective on something I do know the answer to. 2) Entertainment. Plain and simple, I enjoy it here. There are worse places on the WWW I could visit. I'm curious what Tyler has to say on the subject. I don't believe we have heard from him yet? Then again, maybe I'm just slow. OK, so that was more than two cents worth.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Expert Class

I'm relatively new here, and don't wish to step on any toes, and though I agree with my fellow N.W. Floridian, I can also see the benefit the teens can gain from the well-moderated advice of their fellows. There is also some benefit that even we receive from their fresh, and in-touch knowledge (albeit delivered in their off-the-cuff, but sadly, spelled-so-very poorly that you-can-hardly-decipher their meaning kind of rhetoric as well).
It's a very tough question; when I see "OT" in the subject line, if the topic is dull or meaningless to me I simlpy just don't read it.
On the other hand, I think I can see what a fine sight this was once (and still can be), and there is no doubt some degradation can result from the Endless Yammering of the Untried Mind....
So, begrudgingly, I have to agree that there is a little too much off-topic yammering beginning to invade. And yes it does need to be reigned in quite a bit as it does seem to effect peaceful enjoyment.
On another note: though I've not looked very seriously for it, as a new member, I don't see HOW a new topic is even generated; IE: there is no "new topic" button anywhere. SO, it may also be that we newer folks don't know HOW to post... so the topics begin to stagnate, and someone, in their absolute boredom, then posts the tired old "What's better, the two-stroke or..." you know, the thread we are all SO fond of... J:
Okay, and lastly - to end this seemingly never-ending response of mine: How does one change the weather? I've awakened every morning this week to gray, rainy skies... in Colorado!! I expected to see this sort of thing in Milton and Tallahassee, Florida(s) - but this is absurd (this place has the nastiest clay). That's my REAL gripe of the day: can't see the friggin mountains, can't ride (well, don't want to - it's cold, 45F. Can you believe it?) But this is beginning to get off-topic... Maybe Sunday I can ride... hmmmph. Sorry for the long post.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by KTM250rm393
Oh Frakke,

Your totally wrong, you have helped GREATLY.

I love your videos that you have posted for us and I know I get lots of good comments, like Where does Raf find those.
Thx alot Rick, this just made my weekend!!! Now let just hope my cracked pink isn't going to be of a too big problem on sunday and I couldn't then whish for a better weekend!!
Thx!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Class

I agree that some posts get way off topic and some topics have nothin to do with mx, but an off topic forum would solve that problem, so people trying to get technical info wouldnt have bored kids like myself going off topic on their threads.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I too have noticed a change, we need to stick to the original plan here, this is what brought me to ATM in the first place.
It is very easy for people to go to a chat room or PM each other when looking for advise on love and dating. There are some OT topics that are warrented, but they seem to be more related to the original subject ie: Riding off road. Just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:58 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by mxerncolo

On another note: though I've not looked very seriously for it, as a new member, I don't see HOW a new topic is even generated; IE: there is no "new topic" button anywhere.
Click on 'Forums' in the upper left hand corner. Select the forum you want to post in and then look on the right hand side and you will see "new thread". Took me forever to figure it out too.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Expert Class

Yes must tip the coffee cup to the Gent from Belgium's videos - very cool.
On the other note, I believe the sandbox idea was a great one: maybe an off-topic romper room (tho' I guess it would generate greater bandwidth...)?

Thx for the new posting info too Ty

Last edited by mxerncolo; 06-18-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Pro Class

yeah it might make it more expensive...well PM and chat line isnt THAT bad on my slow connection
Old 06-18-2004, 11:10 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I've have moderated other sites and am currently a Senior Moderator of both ATM and KTM Talk and let me tell you in the past, KTM Talk, Extreme Dirtbike, DRN, and others have all tried having an Off Topic forum and it has always failed. Over 50% of the post had to be deleted because of context or grammer, or name calling, and other worthless posting.

So from the past experience of other dirtbike sites, I don't think having an Off Topic forum will add to any advantage, but I've been wrong in the past.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro Class

seems logical to me coach
Old 06-18-2004, 11:22 AM
ATM! Pro Class

I agree Rick, enough off-topic chatboxes and others outthere!!!
A nice joke or pic is always welcome ofcourse!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Expert Class

Yes, I didn't think of that. guess the entire room would be nothing but "#%$$ *&*% , $#$#@!!" anyway.
Jim.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
will fall over

For what it's worth, I never even read "Where should I take this girl I like" because I really could not care less. But being an issue of drivespace & dollars for the one paying the bills ( I'm new, so I don't know who Tyler is but I would like to thank him.) I'm guilty of perpetuating such posts as MX Unleashed or How fast is your net connection? And for that I apoligize PLEEEASE don't kick me out!!I like it here!!
Closed Thread

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion