All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Anyone own EVS Web Braces or Asterisk?

I want your opinions on both braces. I am going to buy a set of either of them shortly and I want opinions from those that have them.

Please tell me what you like and don't like about the ones you have/have used.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Anyone own EVS Web Braces or Asterisk?

I have no real experience with either. I wear some braces I got from my orthopedistist. They are designed for horseback riding which has similar stresses placed on the knee. VERY cheap compared to the EVS or Asterik at around 50 bucks each. You can buy all kinds of different braces HERE

None of them are "name brand" but they are all designed to be worn during high impact sports.

Last edited by 04whyzee; 05-23-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:32 AM
ATM! Addict

I am curious to hear too. I would like a pair of webs myself but they are cost prohibitive for me right now.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:40 AM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
[i] You can buy all kinds of different braces HERE

/B]
04...link no workie
Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Expert Class

Bah I fixed it now! http://kneebrace.orthobionics.net/
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Class

i had decided on asterisks because they are slim-profiled, light, and offer knee protection as a knee brace should. i ended up getting a set of evs webs, though. they weigh a bit more, but they cover more of the leg. whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, i really don't know. i found a set of the evs braces on ebay. they had only been ridden a few times, each brace still had the original box and the braces were in as close to perfect condition as possible. i picked them up for about $400 and i really like them. they offer a lot of support and because of this i've been able to ride pretty well even with my knee still recovering and not too strong yet.

the one thing i had to get used to, which i'm sure is the same with all braces, is the way that the braces hit the shrouds. i'm used to feeling the bike with my knees and i can't anymore. it only takes about 15-20 minutes of riding and you don't notice them anymore though. i'm still not used to riding without being able to feel the bike, but i've not ridden much yet either.

whatever you end up getting, it will be better than not having them. and actually mine make me feel more confident. oh ... getting suited up is a bit tougher as well. it is for me, anyway. i can't put my pants on one leg at a time anymore, i have to put both feet in at the same time and then kinda shimmy into them. you'll see what i mean.

cheers,

-Z
Old 05-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Intermediate Class

I have a set of the asterisks. They fit great and I wouldn't ride without them. When I first started looking for knee braces I picked up a set of ??? off of e-bay. I can't remember what make they were now but they were big and bulky. They barely fit under my pants and it felt like my bike was twice as wide as it was when riding. I hated them and put them back on E-bay. I then went with the asterisks because of all the good things I heard about them. They are slim and fit under my riding pants with no problems. They have the knee cap protector which some other models at the time didn't have. They lace up behind your leg and have a clip latch that clips together kind of like a seatbelt to put them on. Once you have the laces adjusted and tied you just unclip the buckle to take them off and put them on. Which means that they fit the same every time you use them. The first set I had did up with velcro. I always had to mess with them to get them adjusted tighter or looser everytime I put them on. When I wasn't wearing them the velcro had everything stuck together in my gear bag.
They will feel a bit diffrent at first because you can't feel your bike as much with your knees. Before your first ride is over you will be used to that though and you won't even notice that you have them on. I broke the hinge on one of mine once and sent it back to asterisk to get repaired. They fixed it free of charge. How is that for customer service. The only thing that I can think of that I don't like is that they will wear a hole on the inside of the knee on your riding pants after a few rides then start to rub the graphics off of your radiator shrouds. I imagine any knee brace will do that though. If you go to motosports outlet and search for a gear saver. It is a $5.00 padded leather thing that is made to attach to knee braces to prevent them from wearing holes in your pants. I bought them but they didn't fit on the braces very well so I used some peel and stick velcro that I stuck on my braces and stuck the gear savers on that way. It worked good, you could make up your own pads out of something pretty easily if you wanted. I think most of the Thor pants come with leather on the inside of the knees for this purpose too. I paid 495.00 for them about a year and a half ago. Hope that helps. If you need to know anything else let me know.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Age is a state of Mind

hmmm... thanks both of you for the info. I'm leaning toward the web's, but mostly because of the added protection (they do go higher on the leg) and the possibility of it not wreaking havoc on my pants and graphics.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Intermediate Class

I kind of suspect that any knee brace will cause problems with the pants and graphics.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Age is a state of Mind

That's kind of what I was affraid of. Psyk, how have your web's been on your pants and graphics or can you tell yet?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Class

04whyzee, do those cheepo deepo braces actually work in a crash? say stiff legging on a bail from a jump? or doing the same in a turn?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Looks like the web are going to be the ticket, I've found a pair that I think I can get for around $400. Used once. I'm still going to go try them on though, I'd hate to spend that much coin and hate them.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Roosterman17
04whyzee, do those cheepo deepo braces actually work in a crash? say stiff legging on a bail from a jump? or doing the same in a turn?
I really have no idea. When you refer to "stiff-legging" you are actually talking about hyperextending your knee. Most braces are designed to prevent this from happenign but as they say, there really are no guarantees.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Class

A brace won't keep you from getting hurt...it just changes the type of injury you will receive. With a brace you have taken the knee out of the equation somewhat but where will the injury happen? If a stiff legged landing is your concerne(s/p) I would look at a broken Femur or lower leg bones/anckle.

Woody...I am buying a set of Asterisks before St. A next month.
I can't afford not to have them. I wonder why I didn't spend $550 on a set...maybe then I wouldn't have a $20,000 doctor bill right know for my knee.:

Any set will protect you just make sure they fit right and you wear them all the time!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Age is a state of Mind

I won't be to St A. I'm going to see if I can go shopping tomorrow afternoon (after I get my garage cleaned) and try both on.

I don't quite get your logic behind the get hurt elsewhere... You been listening to faded again?

I agree, it is "Possible" to get hurt elsewhere, but EVERY elsewhere is better then a jacked up knee. AND I believe the knee to be the weakest link. You can NOT tell me the knee can even come close to withstanding the same rigors that a femer can.

I agree with you, I can't afford to ride any more with out knee protection. And No I do NOT subscribe to the same notion that Faded does. I will wear my knee brace every time I ride.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody_CRF
Looks like the web are going to be the ticket, I've found a pair that I think I can get for around $400. Used once. I'm still going to go try them on though, I'd hate to spend that much coin and hate them.
Woody don't forget if you don't like them they are worth the same money selling them you will be out nothing except maybe your shipping. Webs are a hot ticket item on the resale market. Go for it buddy if you don't like them sell them and get something else til you find what works for you.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Well, if all goes well tomorrow, I'll have tried both sets on, and will know what is going to work best.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
cha cha

It's funny you posted this topic Woody. No more than 10 minutes ago Daniel says to me,"Those knee braces are expensive!". I was like..yes they are. He goes on to tell me he was thinking he should get me a pair....but it's not like he can just drop $500 without saying anything. He's a good guy.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this..and yes, I know it's been mentioned on here more than once, but I'm curious to see what you decide on and why.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody_CRF

I don't quite get your logic behind the get hurt elsewhere... You been listening to faded again?

I You can NOT tell me the knee can even come close to withstanding the same rigors that a femer can.

And No I do NOT subscribe to the same notion that Faded does.
Do you think wearing a brace will protect you from any injury? If you compress your leg hard enough something will give. Brace or not.

I never compared that a knee injury would be anything close to the initial pain of a broken femur. I can't walk for 8 weeks then it will be a total of 6 months before I can jog/run/ride like I want to.
Believe me this is no treat either.

What notion are you talking about with Faded? I'm lost... :
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Age is a state of Mind

LOL, The faded thing is that he doesn't wear his braces... I think he's nuts.

I know that a brace isn't going to stop everything. Heck it may only stop 5%, but I'm hoping it will stop the small stuff from happening. The hyperextension when you fall over going slow around a corner, and other things.

So Yes, I DO think wearing a brace will protect me. Will it protect me from all injuries, no, but do you wear a seat belt? Does it protect you from all injuries? What about a helmet? I think you get where I'm coming from.

On the pain part, I have no point of reference. So I have nothing to say in that regard, except that (as you stated) if the femur is going to break, it's a pretty safe bet that the knee brace will be useless too. My point though was that a knee would probably hyperextend 100 times before a femur would break. Knee's are the weakest link in the leg followed directly by ankles, feet, and toes (no specific order there).

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion