All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Anyone Into Car Audio? Or Rice Burners?

Hey guys,

Next month I am getting my permit from DMV from california. I know I still have sometime befrore I have my car and all but I am still day dreamen about this, and just way to curious lol.

In a matter of a few months or so I am getting my first car..I believe I want to get a honda civic or sometheing very familar. The very first few things iI am buying for it are gonna be new "New Cd deck, Speakers, Subs, and a amp or 2."

I plan on spending maybe 500$ all together on the system. but what are some of the best ways to go on this as far as brands and how many subs and were to put the amp.

Also is anyone esle into the Ricers and stuff? I am in love with these cars lol. But do you any of you guys have pretty nice stuff set up for your ride?

Any tips or anything is appreacted!!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Anyone Into Car Audio? Or Rice Burners?

It's really hard to give a suggestion without knowing what you want to accomplish. Are looking for high sound levels, or all aroung great sound? Also what type of music do you listen to? With only a budget of 500 bucks it will be tough to get a great sounding setup. But remember, for great sounding bass, the enclosure is just as important as the sub. It also helps to keep costs down alot if you do the install yourself. What kind of experience do you have with car wiring? It is also important that you don't use cheapo wiring too. Always use good quality wire that can handle the power you are pumping through. Your system will only be as strong as its weakest link. This is definatley my department though. I used to do sales/installations for Circuit City. I've got a pretty sweet setup myself in my Explorer, but it was a pretty penny.I'm currently running a Pioneer DEH-P8000R head unit which was $680 when it came out, Infinity Kappa 5x7's through my doors, powered by a 250 watt Fosgate amp. For my subs I run two 12 inch Rockford Fosgate HX2's which are pushed by a 1600 watt amp. It bumps like CRAZY! My windshield wiper hop of the windshield a good inch! I've had my rearview mirror remounted 3 times now.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Expert Class

Just out of curiosity what is the fun part in vibrating your car so hard with bass that everything falls apart and you end up deff by the time you are 50?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Da Bunny

i work next door to a car audio store and I tell ya... about 90% ofthe people that come in there put these $$$ systems in, only to be back the next week to find out what is rattling. These days, kids just want THUMP and the sound quality is poor. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sound system (have had my share) but if all I can hear is the bass and the rest is poor quality and rattles everything loose on the car, it just makes you look like a dork!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetoman393
i work next door to a car audio store and I tell ya... about 90% ofthe people that come in there put these $$$ systems in, only to be back the next week to find out what is rattling. These days, kids just want THUMP and the sound quality is poor. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sound system (have had my share) but if all I can hear is the bass and the rest is poor quality and rattles everything loose on the car, it just makes you look like a dork!
I agree. When I worked at Circuit City, we had tons of people come in and by subs, an amp and they though they were the coolest thing on the road. What's hilarious is that most of them were being put in cars that look like they were drove right off the salvage yard.

To answer your question Moose, I don't really know. Alot of people do it because they think they're cool I guess. I personally do it for the sound. I love an awesome sounding sound system. Whether it's in the car, or at home. I just appreciate the full circle of sound. On a daily basis my setup runs nowhere near capacity. But, if I need it, it's there.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Class

If you only plan on spending $500 then be patient and look around for some really good sales. I know that kicker sound systms look really good and instead of draining out the music with bass, it's really well rounded with bass, and treble. Dont go deff, and good luck!
Old 05-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Class

For 500 bucks ish Buy 3 things. well if you can.

1. 3 channel amp
2. Component fronts
3. 1 12" sub.

A good amp will do more then the other 2. So spend most of your money there. Id say possibly spend at least 400 on amp, and get a set of ok components. Then when you can come up with another 100 buy a sub.

You only need your fronts and a sub. If you want good sound only a front sound stage is needed. A sub is unidirectional and our ears cant pin point low freqencies like we can high ones. You wont be able to tell you sub is in your trunk if its driven correctly. If you can tell where its coming from its from rattles of you car, or distortion of you woofer cone.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Sweet

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help!!

I was just curious as if to any of you would pick a brand I should go for or anything like that.

Also what are the different amount of amps gonna make? Who Should install this set up for me? lol jk.

I am gonna start saven my money so that when I get my car here soon i can get the sound stuff real quick.

thnaks again!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Pro Class

Ive always had best luck with orion stuff, a little pricey but well worth it.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:18 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Oddly enough I didn't know that circut city had anything worth buying for car audio. I will agree that pioneer is pretty good but as far as amps and subs go I would personally never trust what they have. Fosgate stuff is crap. Period end of discussion. You can get bass out of it but sound quality is crap.

Right now I have a pioneer HD (head unit) for my truck and believe that it's pretty decent. Sound quality, ect...
here's a pic

for 500 bucks I'd tell you to save your money longer and get something worth listening to. My last car (1993 Mazda MX6) had approximatly 2500 into the system. I had a $750 alpine HD which gave great sound and different listening options for preference and performance. I had a single PPI 4400 chrome series amp running MB quartz compents, and a pir of German made competition Vaulfenhaug subs. Without the box those subs were worth about 1200 dollars new, the amp was a nice 650 dollar unit and the comps were worth around 350 bucks. My system was built for SQ rather than Db from the subs. I could pull up along side people on the interstate at 80+ mph and they could hear my system clear as a bell in their car, not just the bass, the entire musical compilation. To me SQ is the nicest road to take as you can have the system at a decent listening volume and it still sounds nice but when you turn it up you can blow people away. Here's the next thing, do the install yourself, start doing some practice tests with some wiring and stuff to get the hang of it and read about it alot. If you need alot of audio tips and install info you can check out http://www.elitecaraudio.com (ECA) they have alot of info but do not I repeate DO NOT hop on that site asking for help setting up a 500 dollar system in a civic, they will eat you alive. If you have constructive questions and are humble ECA will be a great help to you. But do be ready to hear about some 5-8K systems on there, they will talk them up quite abit but don't worry, you can find some nice used stuff on there and build a very good SQ system off of their classifieds section for somewhere just over a thousand bucks.

Gumby_55 I'm not trying to flame you to much. I just think that CircutCity has pretty cheap stuff and if you don't know what your looking for when you walk in there you'll get taken for a ride on some cheap crap.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho393
Gumby_55 I'm not trying to flame you to much. I just think that CircutCity has pretty cheap stuff and if you don't know what your looking for when you walk in there you'll get taken for a ride on some cheap crap.
Don't worry. I agree. It was just a job. The only thing I ever bought there for my car was a radar detector. I was able to get everything at cost too. That should tell you what I think of their audio products. Some of it is ok, but I prefer to go elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Beginner Class

i'm going to say this up front: i HATE those japanese rice-burning tuner cars... but i do know about a powerful sub for a good price

PowerAcoustic 15" 1600Watt Sub... for $160.00!!!!! getting a good enough amp

to power it though is going to be a problem for not much money( believe me i've tried)

i think its called poweracoustic: i found it in my SUMMIT racing magazine. check their site if it sounds like a good idea to you, or if you have some time: order a catalog, they're FREE.

Last edited by mullet1; 05-19-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:37 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet1
i'm going to say this up front: i HATE those japanese rice-burning tuner cars... but i do know about a powerful sub for a good price

PowerAcoustic 15" 1600Watt Sub... for $160.00!!!!! getting a good enough amp

to power it though is going to be a problem for not much money( believe me i've tried)

i think its called poweracoustic: i found it in my SUMMIT racing magazine. check their site if it sounds like a good idea to you, or if you have some time: order a catalog, they're FREE.
If the sub is worth 160 bucks it is highly inefficient and pretty much just plain crap.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Intermediate Class

My friend has a pair of the Power Acoustic subs in his car. They are very loud, but that is it. The have absolutely no sound quality whatsoever. They are quite overated too. They don't handle nearly as much power as they are rated for. I'm afraid psycho hit the nail on the head with those ones.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 PM
ATM! Pro Class

My girl has an Infinity 12" sub in her car. She listens to mainly rap. For me- a rocker, im going to go with a pair of 10's, and ill probably cash out and go Rockford. For ricers/audio, check out www.superhonda.com. I drive an Acura Integra, only because mom says i need 7000 miles experience before i can get a Z28

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion