All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Class

Default Re: AMA Rules questions...

"My bad" works fine, as does Homer Simpson's classic, "Doh!"

Back to the point, do you run the plastic bit and the metal bit under it, or just the metal bit? I was only referring to the plastic screen in my little diatribe above; the metal case saver is a definite mandatory bit, in case of a thrown chain at the very least.

But now you've got me worried about removing the plastic part and leaving just the metal case saver underneath it. Catching mud is better than exploding cases, for sure.

Please elaborate on this rock ingestion/exploding engine case situation. While I'm pretty far from the nearest desert, we do have rocks around here too.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Beginner Class

Here is a pic of the stock chain guide on a '98 CR250 Is this acceptable in an AMA sanctioned event? Also, a crash not too long ago left this little ding that actually poked through the frame, is this acceptable as well?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:19 PM
ATM! Pro Class

The chain guide is acceptable. The frame i dont know- but I would have it welded before I raced it. Not because of AMA rules, but because I wouldnt want to find out my frame is too weak in the air of a 60 ft double...
Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk
"My bad" works fine, as does Homer Simpson's classic, "Doh!"

Back to the point, do you run the plastic bit and the metal bit under it, or just the metal bit? I was only referring to the plastic screen in my little diatribe above; the metal case saver is a definite mandatory bit, in case of a thrown chain at the very least.

But now you've got me worried about removing the plastic part and leaving just the metal case saver underneath it. Catching mud is better than exploding cases, for sure.

Please elaborate on this rock ingestion/exploding engine case situation. While I'm pretty far from the nearest desert, we do have rocks around here too.
mtk....
I run both the metal case guard and the plastic cover guard and that is because of rocks, not mud.
In my post I mentioned a case failure and in that incident (no case saver or cover) a rock got wedged in between the chain and the countershaft sprocket and in the process took out a piece of the bearing boss (countershaft) and the insides came apart with something coming outside and hitting the riders leg. He (dumb) was wearing short soft leather carpenter shoes and caught something metal in his leg resulting in a trip to the hospital.
Not sure what the end result was but we got him towed in and sent him off to emergency. Also not sure what the end result was with him but his engine was big time trash.
Since then I have always used both the case saver and the cover.
My CRF250X has a plastic cover and My XR400 has a metal cover.....Hmmm.

AmeriKan MX.....
If you get your frame welded make sure you get a certified welder to weld it.
The first question he will ask is what is the alloy. You will not find out what the alloy is as that is like a secrete and even the factory (race) guys do not know the exact make up. However if he is very good he can guess pretty close and do an acceptable job. Also that portion of the frame is an extrusion.
How on earth did you put a hole in the frame at that spot? Also hope you did not get any water in the hole.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Beginner Class

Mainjet2001,
I was on a track with a large group of people. I jumped up over a tabletop and there was a pileup on the otherside. I bailed out and pushed the bike away to avoid landing directly on some little kid (who possibly caused it) and somewhere in the process got that damage. I was told by a buddy that that it looked like it landed sideways on another bike and probably caught the footpeg. As far as getting water inside, I haven't even thought about that, now you've got me worried about possible corrosion. What would you recommend I do

Last edited by AmeriKan MX; 10-02-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:25 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKan MX
Mainjet2001,
As far as getting water inside, I haven't even thought about that, now you've got me worried about possible corrosion. What would you recommend I do
Should not be a big deal unless it's set around for 6 months with water in it.
The welder should just heat the bottom area of the extruded part (torch) and if there is water in there it will heat the water up and blow out the hole. When any steam or air flow ceases to come out the hole, the water will have dissipated. It just needs to be welded up then.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks!

I just recently moved here from H.B. Ca, and I can honestly say that I miss the hell out of it. Now I'm out here in the sticks, and don't have many people to ride with.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriKan MX
Thanks!

I just recently moved here from H.B. Ca, and I can honestly say that I miss the hell out of it. Now I'm out here in the sticks, and don't have many people to ride with.
Surf City?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Beginner Class

Yeah, I lived off of Brookhurst & Hamilton. I lived in that area for about 18 years, though I'm originally from Ohio. Huntington is the best part of So Cal. I grew up surfing & skateboarding there.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM
ATM! Pro Class

You dont have to worry about corrosion in an aluminum frame. No iron = no rust. But I would definetly have it welded ASAP. The exact welding characteristics, while unknown, are also unimportant. Welding doesnt have to be an EXACT metal match. You know its some sort of aluminum, so aluminum mig or tig would work fine. If it were me, Id lay a tig root and a mig cap.

Just an example... you can weld stainless steel with steel wire in a MIG machine. It doesnt have to be an exact match to get a good weld.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion