All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: "All time great list"?

Personally I dont think Jean-Michel Bayle should be #6. I dont argue that he was perhaps one of the most naturally talented riders and all, but he only stayed around for couple of years. I dont think one great season should get someone one that list.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 393
Loki and Silverfox,
Never would argue with y'all about RC or the G.O.A.T., whoever wears that mantle. I enjoy every generations gift to all of us in the sport. R.C. is probably going to go into the books as this generations greatest and the all time winning rider. Smets and Everts aren't in his league either.

My point was to give the historical people their due as I am sure you both do. Loki, your dad knew some of our countries best while riding for DB and Rick Siemen. I would gladly give LW his due, also. The picture of him standing on the seat of a Yamaha LT-1 100MX and wheeling it is burned into my mind forever. I have that copy of Dirt Bike and wouldn't part with it for anything except your asking for it since you are his son. Your dad is a part of my youth and our sports history. I have an imense amount of respect for your dad and all the pioneers of American MX. Keep on Roostin' people and Merry Christmas!
Bill
I agree with you 100%. Any rider that brings that type of dedication to this sport deserves recognition. Growing up traveling the country in a Winnebago with all my dads bikes in a trailer on the back brings back the best memories for me. That was the way it was back then. Climbing up that old rusty ladder into the announcers booth at Indian Dunes as a 5 year old, and watching my dad ride the wheels off his bike was the best. The true pioneers didn't have the private jets, and million dollar contracts. They only had the desire to compete against the best, and win. Nothing else mattered. Which is why I have so much respect for todays true privateers. I'm just glad our sport has grown the way it has, and that I can expose my son to the thrill that comes from it.

PS- I have that issue of DB too. Along with many more locked away. Feel free to scan any old mags with my pops in them, and send them my way.

chriswatkins73@comcast.net
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 PM
ATM Contributor!

I would have to agree the list is somewhat out of order IMO as well, but it was entertaining to read anyway.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Semper Fidelis

Re: "All time great list"?

Loki,
I have all of the 70's issues from Vol 1, #1 (June 1971) up to December 1979. If you have any issue you can pinpoint I'll gladly send it to you. Your dad was a hero to me and it is the least I can do. I was an eastern MX rat that worshiped the desert and MX guys in SoCal. Your stories of the Dunes and the history make it all worth while for me.

Bill
Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Joe
Personally I dont think Jean-Michel Bayle should be #6. I dont argue that he was perhaps one of the most naturally talented riders and all, but he only stayed around for couple of years. I dont think one great season should get someone one that list.
I can see that as well from a certain perspective, but in 1 season he came along, whupped on everyone everywhere. He accomplished that without even being dedicated to the sport for life. I can't imagine what he would have done had he stayed longer. I wasn't a fan of him then or now, but I still think he was one of the greatest.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion