All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: About how much does xrays and a cast cost at a ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox
Sorry, did'nt mean to set anybody off with my comment. But if you actually believe what you just wrote..... you've really bought into some deep propaganda.
And we're off..................

Let's keep to the original post on this one.

I figure you should be even with the hospital on this one. They fixed your hand, now you owe them an arm and a leg.

Seriously, you shouldn't ride if you don't have insurance. Look into at least a major medical policy. They have high deductibles but at least you won't go into bankruptcy if you have a major injury or illness. Before the industry was "revolutionized" in the 70's & 80's with HMOs & PPOs, people used to actually pay for their doctor visits and prescriptions. Now they rely on insurance to do it and it has become a racket for the insurance companies.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Beginner Class

yeah I know I need insurance, I need alot of things for that matter......Santa please bring me two hot chicks for christmas.... So it looks like ill be paying for this for a while, I went to a county hospital so it should be cheaper than some hospitals, It only took 6 hours to be seen sucks to be poor.

My second choice that I need to make is Im auctully in a splint right now. The doctor couldnt see a break in the Xray but said sometimes it takes a couple of days and another Xray to see for sure. Would you guys leave it like this and take it easy or go for another Xray. I would leave it alone if its just a bad sprain but the doc wasnt to sold on the sprain theory. I never heard that it could take a few days to see a fracture or break what do you guys think
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Pro Class

Touch wood, I`ve never needed to have a xray taken. I live in the UK, where we dont pay for our NHS bills/xrays.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Whatever you do don't skip out on going back to the Dr. and having everything taken care of. If you don't the lifelong repercussions will be worse than a Dr. bill. You don't have to pay it all off at once, call them up tell them that you can afford X number of dollars a month and so that is what you'll pay. It's better then not going back and being taken care of that's for sure.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE500
Touch wood, I`ve never needed to have a xray taken. I live in the UK, where we dont pay for our NHS bills/xrays.
As it should be here.

As for cost...unfortunatly everyone is right, it's gonna run at least around 2K and up I am sure. I popped my shoulder out of socket a couple of weeks ago (again) and the bills came in at $1950!! It took them 5 min once they actually did something and I was out of there.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Intermediate Class

when i broke my foot. it was around 1000.00 cause i dont have insurance. but they helped me out and knocked it down to 700.00
Old 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerider4
when i broke my foot. it was around 1000.00 cause i dont have insurance. but they helped me out and knocked it down to 700.00
May be Utah is cheaper then some of the other states . Like dunerider, my son broke his arm not to long ago and the total bill came to about $1k (that's for a simple break, no surgery, etc).
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox
Sorry, did'nt mean to set anybody off with my comment. But if you actually believe what you just wrote..... you've really bought into some deep propaganda.
It's not propaganda. Show me any documented source to the contrary and I'll eat those words. Our "overpriced" health care system is the engine that drives medical advances. Our "outrageous" drug costs are why almost all new drugs are developed here.

The problems with our healthcare system have more to do with government interference in the pricing structure than anything. Drug costs, along the same lines, have more to do with the shortening of the patent life on new drugs, requiring companies to recoup huge development costs in a very short time period.

MotoMan, if you think that socialized medicine is a good thing, would you also like the UK's 17% Value Added Tax too? There are no free lunches. The VAT is why everything in the UK costs 50% more than it does over here.

As for the original question, ask the hospital what the "reasonable and customary" charges are for the services provided and offer to pay those. When they refuse, offer to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the uninsured folks in the USA being a victim of price-fixing.

To be honest, it amazes me that they can have this two-tired pricing system and not have legal hassles because of it. I imagine it survives because folks who don't have insurance also can't afford to get an attorney.

One thing for certain, get it fixed right, no matter the cost. And then park the bike until you can afford to get proper medical insurance. If you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to ride. It's really that simple.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk
It's not propaganda. Show me any documented source to the contrary and I'll eat those words. .

Obviously I don't have a document showing otherwise nor do you have one saying that non US countries contribute 5% to drug advancement. But if you can prove it, great. I just find it hard believe that the rest of the world only contributes 5%? And when you say you have the best health care system in the world it's like saying a certain bike is the best, for who under what circumstances? Certainly not the family who can't afford insurance. My point was some other countries give equal access to health care and will not let their citizens fall to financial ruin because of an inability to pay for medical bills. A 2 tier system has certain benifits but it also has drawbacks.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Draw backs to the american health care system? No way! You mean charging outrageous healthcare premiums that go up every year, and making their patients dependant to the medication that they make millions off of every year?

The fact is that America does not have the finest health care system in the world; it has the finest emergency care system in the world. As far as preventative medicine goes, the U.S. is still in the Stone Age.

And now that I'm off my rant.

Best of luck to you going at it without health insurance. Maybe find a county hospital to get the work done next time. I wouldn't ever throw a leg over my bike without it.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion