All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default A1 Race Report

I'm not going to get into all the racing action. Obviously it was amazing. The CBS broadcast caught most of the action and I thought they did a great job. Check the www.transworldmotocross.com or www.usgp.com and you will get a rundown on all the action.

I want to share some things that I saw during practice and other observations. First of all, the whoops were insane like they showed them on TV. What you didn't see was that they chopped off the tops off the first half of them after practice because only a handful of riders were getting through them efficiently. The 125 qualifiers came out and rolled them for awhile until a few got brave and BOOM! Then the 125 factory guys came out and Andrew Short blitzed them like bap bap bap bap bap bap....it was sweet. After Ramsey and a few other guys ate it, some other guys got the hang of it including Villapoto and Langston. Alessi and J-Law took their turns at it and they left much to be desired. There were a few privateers with better runs through the whoops than the new guys. I knew there was one sandbagger in the Lites division but now I'm starting to think that Andrew Short is way too good to be in that mix. Besides Bubba, I felt he had the best runs through the whoops. Sorry Villapoto but the West Coast Champion is going to be either Langston or Short.

The 250 factory riders came out and Reed blitzed the whoops followed by a jaw dropping performance by Bubba. I wish I had it on video for myself to watch over and over..bap bap bap bap bap bap...skimmed them like a rock on a still lake. Ricky followed Bubba around the track and they looked pretty even until a another rider cut RC off and he landed on a tuff block and then off the track. During this time, something interesting was taking place...the 2-stroke guys were having a helluva time sustaining the power all the way through the whoops. MC and DV were getting about half way through the whoops and the power had been zapped to the point where the front end was dropping. It looked to me like a clear disadvantage to be on one of those steads. Most of the factory 250 guys didn't have to roll the whoops like everybody else.

Group B was led by Robbie "Street of Broken Dreams" Reynard. He took his CR250 2 stroke in hot into the whoops...bap bap bap bap BOOM! That seemed to be an ongoing event for most of the night. Caution flags were pretty constant in that section. This group supplied the most carnage. On the outside of the whoops there was a triple that a bunch of riders were caseing or overjumping with some bad results. I hate to see young kids get hurt. Bubba was scrubbing that bad boy.

There were two sections were the good riders were going faster 1) obviously the whoops and 2) a step up rythmn section right after the tunnel, where Bryne crashed in the heat race.

SUMMARY: From what I saw, Reed looked much better than he did during the Canadian rounds. RC made 1 mistake, if Bubba made the same mistake, which he did during practice, the outcome could have been different. After Bubba got a huge lead, RC and CR backed it off and just kept looking at where the other guy was. Alessi will be lucky to finish top 5 in SX West Coast. Not a contender. Villapoto is the real deal, even though he looks like my neighbor's kid. He won't win the Championship but he hit the jackpot at A1. He got the start, and had 15 guys between him and anybody fast before he completed 1/4 of a lap. A few more laps and Langston would have passed him. Langston came from get off the ground bike not running last to 4th. Andrew Short should be on a 450 TODAY! He looked better than a few 450 factory riders. If you are riding a 250 two stroke, finishing top 5 would be a huge accomplishment. 125 two stroke is non-existent. There were tons of CRF's. 75% of the privateers were on CRF's. Tedesco's life flashed before him on more than one occassion. He took some spills but shook them off. He was riding aggressive and should be placed immediately with the likes of Ernie, DV or other second tier guys. Hey, it's tough to break into that other group. SX is a little theatrical with the announcer and lazers and fireworks. I could go for some quick intro and racing but the whole interview process...like what are they going to say? Bubba...I didn't think it was possible for someone to run the table in SX but...I won't say it....Phoenix is next. Let's see what happens. I'm Chuck and I hope you enjoy my report.

BTW, people in Anaheim wear way too much black black shoes, black socks, black shorts, black jackets, black shirts, black hair...
Old 01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: A1 Race Report

Thanks for the report Chuck! Can't wait to see the torrents
Old 01-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Novice Class

GO REED
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Thanks for the report.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 AM
ATM! Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoofeach
I'm Chuck and I hope you enjoy my report.

BTW, people in Anaheim wear way too much black black shoes, black socks, black shorts, black jackets, black shirts, black hair...
Chuck what?

Durn, I had a black jacket on.........

Thanks for the excellent report. I agree 100% with what you said.
I had a good view of the whoops and it seemed to me that RC's bike was not working well. The back end was kicking him in the butt bigtime.
Now I know that is somewhat his style but he had a rougher ride than the other front runners.
I also think if RC had not have bailed, Stewart would have picked him off before the end of the race.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Between heats, it was pretty quiet and you hear someone just opening up a two stroke. RIIIIIIING DING RIIIIIIING BRAAAAAAAP! It was DV acting like a goon in the tunnel! That guy.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Great write up Chuck. It was great to hear from someone that was there.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I hope everyone stays healthy for the whole season and we have four different winners in the first four rounds!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:51 PM
ATM Contributor!

Great report. An enjoyable read.
I sure hope gnarly whoops like that don't become a staple of SX for every round this year. I hadn't heard that they knocked the tops off of them before the racing started. Somebody's gonna get hurt and I would like them to stay healthy for better racing! Thanks for giving us land-lubbers a first-hand perspective.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Rider_22
Thanks for the report Chuck! Can't wait to see the torrents
The torrent is out there...
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPW
The torrent is out there...
Aus is probably in bed now. I bet he'll pick it up first thing "tonight".
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Great report 2oE, I really enjoyed it. Now if I just hadn't missed the sunday replay Did I hear someone say torrent?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

O/T but loki, i love your avatar, go homey!!!!!!!! i love In Living Color!!!

great report 2oe, i wasnt able to watch the race yesterday on tv so what happended to ricky, how come he was 40 seconds behind bubba, did something happen or did bubba and reed both just beat him??
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_CRF
Great report 2oE, I really enjoyed it. Now if I just hadn't missed the sunday replay Did I hear someone say torrent?
but you didn't get this from me...
http://www.mininova.org/
do a search for 2006anaheim1sx
Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Thanks DPW Mums the word
Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfjedi393
Great report. An enjoyable read.
I sure hope gnarly whoops like that don't become a staple of SX for every round this year. I hadn't heard that they knocked the tops off of them before the racing started. Somebody's gonna get hurt and I would like them to stay healthy for better racing! Thanks for giving us land-lubbers a first-hand perspective.

I find myself in the opposite position, I like it when the whoops are BIG, LONG AND RUTTED UP..LOL, it makes it more exciting in my opinion when there are difficult sections like that on tracks. Especially when the race gets tight and the riders are pushing harder and harder trying to make up time, those are the sorts of parts of the track that are gonna make or break you.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:05 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmotocrosspunk
O/T but loki, i love your avatar, go homey!!!!!!!! i love In Living Color!!!
great report 2oe, i wasnt able to watch the race yesterday on tv so what happended to ricky, how come he was 40 seconds behind bubba, did something happen or did bubba and reed both just beat him??
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it....RC was 40 seconds behind because he was just crusing after he fell. RC, Reed and Bubba were just killing everybody. Bubba pulled a little gap on Reed and then they all just watched each other on the track. No need to push it, the outcome was allready sealed.

A few other tidbits I remembered, when they were knocking down the whoops, a few factory team managers where out there orchestrating the whole thing. I'm not going to mention who they were but will give you this hint, the riders who weren't blitzing the whoops were being represented.

Tedesco demonstrated the panic rev in his semi. Remember, he slammed into Bryne in the heat so he had to qualify in the semi. After the finish line jump, there was a landing area and steep decline into the bowl turn that went under the tunnel. Well, Tedesco was in great position to hit the decline, unfortunately his front wheel hit the landing area on the top. So he did some kind of stoppie almost cartwheel maneuver. He did save it but it could have ended not so pretty.

Short was running the duel exhaust. If the aim was to quiet the bike, it was way off. That was the loudest bike there followed by Reed's Carbon Pro. Ricky's bike was poping like crazy in the heat but got fixed before the main. Running a little lean I guess.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Me and Jeff Emig's race report share many similarities...I need to get on the box somewhere.

http://www.racerxill.com/articles/de...jeff-emig.aspx
Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Intermediate Class

From what I saw on tv it was a great race. For once in a long time, the track looked somewhat challenging to even the best out there. I think they need to have gnarly sections. Otherwise, they just double, triple, double etc. the whole track.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion