All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
A lot of people may not realize that a worn shaft on the water pump isn't all that common on that era of Yamaha's. Unlike replacing an inexpensive seal, I wouldn't consider replacing the shaft until I removed it and inspected it.
Ok and couldn't I just get a coolant catch tank? I really have no other problems other than the coolant coming out of the overflow.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Why not find and fix the real issue?

Paw Paw
Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post

Paw Paw
+1. Before that Issue causes another Issue. Etc, etc, etc.

A small Inexpensive problem can easily turn into a larger, much more expensive problem.

"If a job's worth doing. It's worth doing properly" .
Old 06-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroke bloke View Post
+1. Before that Issue causes another Issue. Etc, etc, etc.

A small Inexpensive problem can easily turn into a larger, much more expensive problem.

"If a job's worth doing. It's worth doing properly" .
How do I even know I have one tho? There's people who run the catches because their bikes do it and never have a problem. It's going cost me quite a bit to fix this too I don't know how to do it. I'm going to have to take it somewhere.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM
ATM! Pro Class

First off, you don't know what the real problem is right now. You don't even know if it's running hot or not.
You have been given many things to address in attempt to get the possible problems solved and your stand is to try an ignore finding the problem and put on a band aid and then claim no knowledge or the cost to get it done correctly. The bike will not last if left in it's current condition with milky oil and over flowing coolant.
Look, in our sport you either spend a lot of money for others to fix things, learn how to fix things your self or you just find another less complicated sport, like "tid le winks" .
I am done here on this topic.

Paw Paw
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
First off, you don't know what the real problem is right now. You don't even know if it's running hot or not.
You have been given many things to address in attempt to get the possible problems solved and your stand is to try an ignore finding the problem and put on a band aid and then claim no knowledge or the cost to get it done correctly. The bike will not last if left in it's current condition with milky oil and over flowing coolant.
Look, in our sport you either spend a lot of money for others to fix things, learn how to fix things your self or you just find another less complicated sport, like "tid le winks" .
I am done here on this topic.

Paw Paw
Ok..... Well I guess I'll see if replacing the head gasket and the water pump seals work.

Last edited by Tbuzzy; 06-02-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuzzy View Post
Ok and couldn't I just get a coolant catch tank? I really have no other problems other than the coolant coming out of the overflow.
Because that doesn't actually solve your problem. From the sounds of things, the catch bottle would fill up and then start to spill. What are you going to do then, add another catch can?

Quote:

Paw Paw
Agreed 1000%.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Intermediate Class

Hands on experience is the best way to learn. Grab a workshop manual and have a go.

The 3 golden words are. "Stop! Think! Act". (It can also save ya life).

Stop and take some time to look at the job/problem, in front of you.
Have a think about the best way to get the job done. Efficiently.
Then, arrange the tools you need, organise yourself and work area do the job.

Way too may people just "rush in where devils fear to tread", and don't pay enough attention to what they're doing.
I'm a Chef by trade. Trust me. When doing any job properly. Preperation is everything. Take your time, set yourself up (I.e tools laid out, containers for bolts and parts etc), and make sure the job is done to the best of your ability. Keep your tools and work area clean and organized.
If you get shirty and frustrated, walk away, calm down, then start again once you can focus on the job. Reset yourself. There's no rush.

The bike shop mechanic will only rush the job. "Time is money" for them. Chances are, you'll do a better job yourself. You care more about it.

Working on your bike can be every bit as enjoyable and satisfying as riding it. Knowing everything is perfect on the bike before a ride, makes for more enjoyable riding.
As does having some confidence in your ability.

"A man that never made a mistake. Never did anything". You learn best from your mistakes. Don't be scared off by making some. You should only be worried about repeating them, not making them. It's all experience.

People will never knock you for having a go and asking questions. "Information is power". The only silly question, is the one you don't ask. Life experience is gained by having a red hot go at everything.

Good luck. I hope you get it sorted.

Paw Paw. Sometimes people just need a little encouragement. "Patience is a virtue".

Last edited by 2 stroke bloke; 06-02-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Hands on experience is the best way to learn. Grab a workshop manual and have a go.

The 3 golden words are. "Stop! Think! Act". (It can also save ya life).

Stop and take some time to look at the job/problem, in front of you.
Have a think about the best way to get the job done. Efficiently.
Then, arrange the tools you need, organise yourself and work area do the job.

Way too may people just "rush in where devils fear to tread", and don't pay enough attention to what they're doing.
I'm a Chef by trade. Trust me. When doing any job properly. Preperation is everything. Take your time, set yourself up (I.e tools laid out, containers for bolts and parts etc), and make sure the job is done to the best of your ability. Keep your tools and work area clean and organized.
If you get shirty and frustrated, walk away, calm down, then start again once you can focus on the job. Reset yourself. There's no rush.

The bike shop mechanic will only rush the job. "Time is money" for them. Chances are, you'll do a better job yourself. You care more about it.

Working on your bike can be every bit as enjoyable and satisfying as riding it. Knowing everything is perfect on the bike before a ride, makes for more enjoyable riding.
As does having some confidence in your ability.

"A man that never made a mistake. Never did anything". You learn best from your mistakes. Don't be scared off by making some. You should only be worried about repeating them, not making them. It's all experience.

People will never knock you for having a go and asking questions. "Information is power". The only silly question, is the one you don't ask. Life experience is gained by having a red hot go at everything.

Good luck. I hope you get it sorted.

Paw Paw. Sometimes people just need a little encouragement. "Patience is a virtue".
I think I am going to go at myself why not. Only thing that worries my is getting the timing right but I think I can fiqure it out. Also you don't have to remove the valves to take the head off correct?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuzzy View Post
I think I am going to go at myself why not. Only thing that worries my is getting the timing right but I think I can fiqure it out. Also you don't have to remove the valves to take the head off correct?
Good onya .

If you're worried about that, get a paint pen and mark the chain and tooth of the gear. From memory, it needs to be at TDC I think. Don't quote me though. The other blokes on here will have a much better idea than me.
Now that you're willing to have a go at it. I'm sure PawPaw will chime in again.

Hypocritically, I've never done the top end on a 4T. My mate is a bike mechanic lol .
I've been watching him, so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to, but if he wants to do it, who am I to stop him .
I have good work ethic, my knowlege on 4T's is lacking.

My 4T's have ever only needed the valve clearence's checked anyway. I've never had any issues and normally don't keep them for that long. Just got my first 4T since 06. Loving the EFI.

EDIT: Touch wood!

Last edited by 2 stroke bloke; 06-02-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:07 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Good onya .

If you're worried about that, get a paint pen and mark the chain and tooth of the gear. From memory, it needs to be at TDC I think. Don't quote me though. The other blokes on here will have a much better idea than me.
Now that you're willing to have a go at it. I'm sure PawPaw will chime in again.

Hypocritically, I've never done the top end on a 4T. My mate is a bike mechanic lol .
I've been watching him, so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to, but if he wants to do it, who am I to stop him .
I have good work ethic, my knowlege on 4T's is lacking.

My 4T's have ever only needed the valve clearence's checked anyway. I've never had any issues and normally don't keep them for that long. Just got my first 4T since 06. Loving the EFI.

EDIT: Touch wood!
When I go to put the head gasket on should I use sealant?
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Get a service manual. It will answer you questions.

Paw Paw
Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Beginner Class

Ok so I replaced the head gasket and the water pump seals and it solved my coolant problem I'm pretty sure. I know have exhaust popping every time I rev it and let go of the throttle it pops. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt the bike, but I would still like to find a way to get rid of it as it is pretty loud and annoying. Any tips?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:57 PM
ATM! Pro Class

If you did not replace the exhaust gasket at the head, you have created a lean condition in the exhaust. It is a one time use gasket. It will do damage over time to the exhaust valves. Just put in a new gasket and it should stop the popping. But, also be sure the fuel screw is set correctly and that the pilot jet is very clean.

Paw Paw
Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
If you did not replace the exhaust gasket at the head, you have created a lean condition in the exhaust. It is a one time use gasket. It will do damage over time to the exhaust valves. Just put in a new gasket and it should stop the popping. But, also be sure the fuel screw is set correctly and that the pilot jet is very clean.

Paw Paw
Ok I will do that thanks!!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
novice

he outer seal fails, you get coolant out the weep hole in the pump. If the inner seal fails, you get coolant in the oil. Neither of the 2 leaking will cause excess pressure in the radiators and boiling over. Would that apply to a 2 stroke ? thanks

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion