All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM
cowboyona426's Avatar
JOATMON
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Last Online: 06-13-2019 11:53 AM
Location: Newport, WA, USA
Posts: 9,581
Default

     

It's a good idea to replace both while you are in there, they are cheap and it's good insurance against having to pull the bike apart again to change another leaky seal.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Last Online: 06-07-2017 08:33 PM
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
It's a good idea to replace both while you are in there, they are cheap and it's good insurance against having to pull the bike apart again to change another leaky seal.
I didn't think you had to take it all apart to do the water pump
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
cowboyona426's Avatar
JOATMON
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Last Online: 06-13-2019 11:53 AM
Location: Newport, WA, USA
Posts: 9,581
Default

What I meant was if you have your water pump and side cover off to do one water pump seal, it's money well spent to buy the other $3-$5 seal while it's already apart and just do both. Side cover is going to need to come off to do water pump R&R.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Last Online: 06-07-2017 08:33 PM
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
What I meant was if you have your water pump and side cover off to do one water pump seal, it's money well spent to buy the other $3-$5 seal while it's already apart and just do both. Side cover is going to need to come off to do water pump R&R.
Where are you finding 3-5 dollar seals? The head gasket is $23 and everything for the water pump is $76 plus an oil change and coolant change. So it's not that cheap XD.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:40 PM
cowboyona426's Avatar
JOATMON
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Last Online: 06-13-2019 11:53 AM
Location: Newport, WA, USA
Posts: 9,581
Default

Choose your favorite online retailer like Motosport or Rocky Mountain that sells OEM parts or go to your local dealer, the water pump seals are not very expensive. Not sure what your $76 water pump parts includes or not.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:51 PM
ATM! Pro Class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Last Online: Yesterday 08:42 PM
Location: Benton, LA
Posts: 4,961
Default

I see all the parts needed for a total of $42.00 plus oil and coolant. It is a very minor job to do.

Of course you can always take to the dealer and spend an additional $150.00 for labor.

Paw Paw
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Last Online: 06-07-2017 08:33 PM
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
Choose your favorite online retailer like Motosport or Rocky Mountain that sells OEM parts or go to your local dealer, the water pump seals are not very expensive. Not sure what your $76 water pump parts includes or not.
A lot of people told me not to just replace the seal in the water pump and to replace the bearing and gear shaft and all that while I'm at it

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
I see all the parts needed for a total of $42.00 plus oil and coolant. It is a very minor job to do.

Of course you can always take to the dealer and spend an additional $150.00 for labor.

Paw Paw
Where'd you find that at ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Last Online: Yesterday 08:42 PM
Location: Benton, LA
Posts: 4,961
Default

Bike Bandit on line and that was for the seals, bearing, cover gasket and pump cover seal.
Only replace the shaft if it has scores or wear marks on it.

Paw Paw
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Last Online: 06-07-2017 08:33 PM
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Bike Bandit on line and that was for the seals, bearing, cover gasket and pump cover seal.
Only replace the shaft if it has scores or wear marks on it.

Paw Paw
Ok and I don't know how to do any of this so I'm going to have to pay someone

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Bike Bandit on line and that was for the seals, bearing, cover gasket and pump cover seal.
Only replace the shaft if it has scores or wear marks on it.

Paw Paw
Still don't see where your getting all these parts so cheap I checked the websites and it's the same price 😒
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:16 PM
cowboyona426's Avatar
JOATMON
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Last Online: 06-13-2019 11:53 AM
Location: Newport, WA, USA
Posts: 9,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuzzy View Post
A lot of people told me not to just replace the seal in the water pump and to replace the bearing and gear shaft and all that while I'm at it[COLOR="Red"]
A lot of people may not realize that a worn shaft on the water pump isn't all that common on that era of Yamaha's. Unlike replacing an inexpensive seal, I wouldn't consider replacing the shaft until I removed it and inspected it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion


Thread Tools


Similar Threads for: 2007 yz250f coolant problem
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YZ250F bog, backfire, high idle, and coolant drip? chazcou05 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha 2 09-13-2013 08:25 PM
YZ250F bog, backfire, high idle, and coolant drip? AKmotorider150 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums 4 04-22-2013 12:07 AM
best coolant to use on yz250f staffylad 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha 19 10-27-2012 11:23 AM
Do I need to drain oil and coolant before I remove the head on my YZ250F? AKmotorider150 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums 3 10-01-2012 07:04 PM
i just got a 2007 yz250f kickindirt114 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums 11 02-11-2007 07:16 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright ©2002-2017, JDub Consulting, Inc. All Right Reserved.