All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Intermediate Class

Default 2 or 4 Stroke to Learn On

Hi Guys,
I have been learning to ride on my 2013 YZ 125 for about 12 months now and I am slowly getting more and more comfortable with the bike.On the weekend a friend of ours with 30 yrs of riding experience saw my bike and basically called me an idiot for trying to learn to ride on a 2t.Now,if the guy had no riding background I would of dismissed his comments,but he reckons I would progress a lot faster on a 4t.I have never ridden a modern 4t M X bike,so comparing them is impossible.but It did get me thinking.........I love riding my YZ,but the whole idea is to improve so I can enter a few C Grade races.Would I be better off on a 4t to get to that level faster ,or should I continue on the 2t.I know this subject has been covered heaps (2t v 4t) but would like some advice from you guys with experience.

Thanks Heaps
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Intermediate Class

Anyone who calls you an idiot is not looking out for your best interests. He's simply voicing his opinion. While small bore smokers are not the most forgiving to ride they reward cornering prowess and momentum with good lap times. Watch the fast guys on Saturday night. Cornering speed is unreal. Jumps and all that matter little if you cannot corner.

Not to mention the maintenance costs involved with a 250 4T. A top end on a 250 will buy you 4 top ends on the smoker with a crankshaft thrown in for good measure. How much money is at your disposal?

If you want a four stroke buy one. However if you do it on someone elses word it's the wrong reason. Stay the course is my advice. Do with it what you please.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Intermediate Class

I was told when I first started that it is more important to get the basic techniques right(body position,cornering,learning controls etc)I do not think it matters on what sort of bike you do this on.His main point was that when he rode that 4t is what you learn on and then you progressed onto a competition 2t.Like I said,I really don,t care what others think,but I had to ask the question to this forum to see if he was right.I am progressing,and my confidence on the bike is increasing every ride,so I think I am doing alright.I love my YZ and at my local track there is only 3 or 4 2t riders up there.The rest are on 4t.It just makes me more determined to succeed on my YZ.

Thanks for your reply,keep em coming.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM
JOATMON

He's an idiot. If you're learning and getting better, that's what is important. A 125 2 stroke can help you learn a lot of things that a 250F will not. Why are 4 strokes so popular today... because they are easier to ride and go fast on.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Intermediate Class

Thanks for the positive feedback.I really had no one else to ask, but this forum is the only one I rely on for the RIGHT info.I am gunna stick to the YZ,learn and improve,then go out and smoke my family friend.(He rides a KTM 4t) LOL. I am in no hurry to race,gotta learn properly then it will all come together.

By the way,I thought it was about having fun,4t or 2t.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Intermediate Class

Sounds like a 144 kit is in order.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo8 View Post
By the way,I thought it was about having fun,4t or 2t.
BINGO. 2 stroke, 4 stroke, red yellow green blue or orange doesn't matter. Get out, ride, and try to improve or learn every time you do.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Intermediate Class

It seems like in every group of riding buddies, there is that one idiot who puts everyone down with ignorant ideas,...forget that guy. Your learning your clutch work,..you've got tight, lightweight handling and pretty snappy power. I would think you get your moves down on that better than some heavy 4 st
Old 02-13-2015, 03:54 AM
Intermediate Class

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.I am going to stick with my YZ 125 and not listen to all the negative comments that are thrown at me by so called experts.The advice given on this forum is the ONLY advice I listen to.Off to Kembla tomorrow to practice,I will try and chase down at least one 4t.LOL

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Pro Class

Nothing teaches basics like a 125. Braking, corners, momentum, everything you do has a purpose. Learn to go fast on that 125 and you can go fast on anything!!

btw your friend is probably just worried that you'll be blowing his doors off soon!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Intermediate Class

Here is another perspective.
Throughout my riding time, I've always ridden 4 strokes. Mainly 250s. (Actually I've never touched a 450 because I value my arms) so my opinion is based on theoretical analysis.

I haven't been riding all that long but enough to understand that the Basics everyone talks about are really the key to being a good rider. Now to the best of my knowledge, Most of the top guys in the industry all grew up riding 2 strokes, be it 85cc or 125cc when they were young.

I believe it when people say that 125's teach you the basics as you really have to be efficient and smooth to ride a 125 fast.
If you didn't have the basics down pat, then you would be constantly struggling to maintain speed and momentum.

I think that is where four strokes have the advantage. The power they offer down low, can pull you out of trouble or fix any mistakes in skill fairly easy.

For example, on a two stroke, if you fly into a rut and muck it up because your technique was sloppy, you will have a hard time getting the momentum back, where as if you were on a 4 stroke, its just a twist of the throttle and before you know it your fighting to keep your front wheel on the ground.

They are different beasts and they both teach you different things, but I really do think that if you can ride a 4 stroke like a 2, in regards to carrying momentum, being efficient on the bike and not letting the bike do all the work, then you will be quick on a 4 stroke.

That is why my next bike will be a 125. Call me a pansy but I really do believe they develop better riders.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADAZMITCH View Post
Here is another perspective.
Throughout my riding time, I've always ridden 4 strokes. Mainly 250s. (Actually I've never touched a 450 because I value my arms) so my opinion is based on theoretical analysis.

I haven't been riding all that long but enough to understand that the Basics everyone talks about are really the key to being a good rider. Now to the best of my knowledge, Most of the top guys in the industry all grew up riding 2 strokes, be it 85cc or 125cc when they were young.

I believe it when people say that 125's teach you the basics as you really have to be efficient and smooth to ride a 125 fast.
If you didn't have the basics down pat, then you would be constantly struggling to maintain speed and momentum.

I think that is where four strokes have the advantage. The power they offer down low, can pull you out of trouble or fix any mistakes in skill fairly easy.

For example, on a two stroke, if you fly into a rut and muck it up because your technique was sloppy, you will have a hard time getting the momentum back, where as if you were on a 4 stroke, its just a twist of the throttle and before you know it your fighting to keep your front wheel on the ground.

They are different beasts and they both teach you different things, but I really do think that if you can ride a 4 stroke like a 2, in regards to carrying momentum, being efficient on the bike and not letting the bike do all the work, then you will be quick on a 4 stroke.

That is why my next bike will be a 125. Call me a pansy but I really do believe they develop better riders.
Thanks for your insight MADAZMITCH.Always appreciated.Momentum is the key and at the moment that is what I am concentrating on.I went to Kembla and practiced on Sat and the 4t were smokin me.Just makes me more determined.
I am getting better though.Improved my lap time by 13 sec since last ride.....
Stoked.Thanks again.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > General Discussion