All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Racing, Group Rides, Post Ride Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
ATM Contributor!

Default Nocona Ride Report With Short Vid 10-30-05

My neck got tire from looking around for Satch. I left home about 6:00 and got to the track about 7:30. NOBODY was there. I took my time and checked all my spokes, the air in my tires, slowly geared up and finally accepted the fact that I was going to have to be the first bike on a freshly groomed track. : I did my usual "recon" first lap. A couple of others pulled through the gate as I was on the track but wouldn't actually get on the track 'til some time later. Leroy has made a few changes since our last race of the summer series. That was the last time I was there and it's a great thing to make a slow first lap. I made about 5 laps and chose different lines in every corner just to see the ruts I had made previously. There is a new "popper" double just before one of the turns and I misjudged it just a tad on one of those first 5 laps. It REALLY kicks your rear tire high and I nose-dived WAY into the corner. My only options were to bail or jump the berm. I jumped the berm and had a minor spill. I took a short break after those 5 laps and headed back out again before anyone else got on the track. I concentrated on the inside lines and made some deeper ruts so I could see how they changed once the fast riders got there. And BOY DID THEY CHANGE! Tighter and deeper to say the least.
DPW finally showed up between 9:00 and 9:30. It's always a pleasure to ride with him. rbm33 brought jedi jr with him since they left town much later than I did. (Halloween party or something) : jr was looking really good and was showing his confidence around the entire track. He even quaded the jump after the finish line! I tripled but didn't push for the quad. Lawdog and Kirtwell were next to show and we all had a great time until jr produced a MAJOR high-side and stayed on the ground much too long for my comfort. We're going in for x-rays tomorrow morning. Right arm is probably fractured. That's just what happens as you gain speed and push the envelope. He's a tough kid.
I've got some vid of Lawdog and Kirtwell jumping the BIG triple in the back. I don't know how long this jump is but I'm guessing between 90 and 110 feet. You guys feel free to correct me. I will double it all day long but will never triple it. Kirtwell is 40 years old for crying out loud! The video is only 50 seconds long so download it and watch these crazy men showing us their fearless side. BTW, they jumped it way more times than what I videoed.
I had a pretty nasty spill myself but all is well. I'll be sore tomorrow but that's about it. I will limp into the doctor's office while Clint is getting x-rayed.
Great ride, great weather, and great company. We missed you, Satch, tskwared, and jsullivan!
Check the vid out Here The first two are Lawdog, then Kirtwell, and Lawdog is last. Watch how badly the wind affects him on that last jump. We called it quits after that.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:16 PM
cha cha

Default Re: Nocona Ride Report With Short Vid 10-30-05

HOLY HUGE AIR BATMAN!!

Lawdog...nice save..both times actually. That swap looked gnarly and the wind...sure glad it didn't flop you over backwards.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:22 PM
will fall over

Get well soon Clint!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
ATM! Addict

Man I hate to hear about your crash Jr....(and yours too Jedi ). Keep us updated on how he's doing.

Glad you guys had fun!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Da Bunny

That could have been REALLY ugly lawdog! Great save!

Thanks for the great vid Jedi!

Best of luck Clint!!!! Hope it's not broken.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Jedi and Hansolo(that be jr) I'm glad you guys are ok. Sounds like ya had fun. Is there any tracks between me and you that is fun in OK. Let me know. I still got another 30 days b4 I can start to ride again. But look out then!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Expert Class

We had a pretty good day. I really didn't feel too good when I got there and just wasn't riding well at all. Once I fiddled with the suspension and got is working a bit better, thing started to come around. Everything changed when Kirtwell said he was going to do the triple.

Not to be outdone, I just HAD to join the fun. What the video doesn't show the about 10 case landings for each of us before we got it. Slow learners I guess. We did it a bunch of times, but the wind was monstrous. It was 20+ mph headwind which really wreaked havoc with your bike in the air. It was super fun and no one crashed, so all in all, things worked out.

I DIDN'T realize that my bike swapped that much. If you put it in slow motion, it really looks nasty and you can hear Kirtwell yelling. I don't if it was from my swap and save or from the roost....I really didn't feel anything in the corner, but it sure looks mean. I learned a long long long time ago, NEVER LET OFF THE GAS!!!!

Thanks for the vid Jedi. Great stuff.

James
Old 10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman393
Is there any tracks between me and you that is fun in OK. Let me know.
The only one I'm aware of is Kirtwell's home track. Texhoma MX. I'll do some checking for some others.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Expert Class

Get well Clint! Dang I hated seeing him laying there like that

From a spectators view: David was entering the sand whoops and hauling butt....he got into the 4 or 5 whoop and the rear end swapped to the left and then to the right and then to the....LOL...next thing I saw was David flying through the air 30 mph and landing on his side...he bounced a few times and finally came to a stop...I really though he was seriously injured by the way he hit and went limp..but he jumped up and walked off the track...That was impressive...Thanks for the show David ...Better than a rodeo

We had some fun out there...I was thrilled to finally do that triple...it was bigger than I thought

I sure had fun with Lawdog, DPW, Clint, David, and my son Nathan who finally got to ride his YZ85 for the first time...he had a blast...but it sure makes dad nervous.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:36 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtwell
I was thrilled to finally do that triple...it was bigger than I thought
That thing is HUGE! I don't think the video really does it justice. But you guys have way more uh.... "Intestinal Fortitude?" than me. I was scared just watching you!
As for my crash...... I didn't know I went limp. I thought I stopped on my knees. Maybe that's when I came too. The world did look different there for a few seconds. Kind of dark and quiet. I remember picking my bike up because it was still running. I rode it back to the pits. It was still great times being back at Nocona with all you guys.
Xrays for Clint at 11:00 today!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Racing, Group Rides, Post Ride Reports