All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Racing, Group Rides, Post Ride Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Expert Class

Default First ride of the year

Finally got my first ride in for the year yesterday! First ride on the 2011 YZ450f as well. Definately a long day but was so worth it!

We decided at the last minute (due to a friend canceling his trip to visit) to go to the open practice at logroadmx.com. We used to ride/race that track alot and its one of my favorites. Only thing is it's a 4-1/2 hour drive to the track now after our move! But, being the only track open in that driving range there were no other options. So we got up early and loaded the bikes. It was 21 degrees when we left.

We got to the track just as the first set of practice waves were going out. So we hurried up to sign up and unloaded to try and make it in the second wave. My wife and I started our bikes to warm up while we got dressed. Once done we hit the track. When I got to the gate they let me out but the bike was missing in the lower to mid power range. Wasn't to happy with it but the bike was low hours and sat for a long time. None of these issues popped up when I tested it due to the fact I road it in a parking lot that was solid ice. Handling wise it was interesting, more on that in a minute. So the first practice I fought with the stubling the whole first practice. It got a little better. The positive was when it got thru that stumble it pulled like a freight train! Handling was all over. Some spots of the track was phenominal. Others HORRIBLE.

When practice was over I checked the bike over. I heard the chain slapping so I wanted to tighten that. Also wanted to check the air filter and plug before then next practice. I got the cain done and checked the filter. Filter was fine. By that time I got those done it was time for my next practice. Got up to the line and bike was still stumbling but not near as bad. Still, that had my focus, not the handling. By the end of the practice all stumbling was gone. It was a rocket! The hit off the bottom was way too aggresive. I was struggling with the arm pump that created. Now confident in the way it ran I turned it over to my wife to ride in her practice. She struggled! The handling killed her. When she was done, she was whooped from fighting it.

Now, for the handling. Since I got the bike I changed the oil, coolant, and cleaned a weaping fork seal. Nothing else. When we got to the track my excitement got the best of me and after watching my wife fight it I had and idea what it was. Air pressure in the tire. Never checked it. Well, what would you guess was that pressure. It was 35 psi!!!!! What kind of idot run's 35 psi in their dirt bike tires! I now know why he complained the bike "threw" him on the ground. LOL!!!

The next practice it was like a new bike. It hit the rut, stayed in it, and railed out of it like an animal. It pulled aggressive at the bottom. Too agressive. It gave me arm pump so bad I almost didn't make it thru the last practice. I finally learned what I needed to do to the bike in the last practice. It needs new fork and shock springs. They weren't far off but needs to be stiffer. Valving seemed OK. I gotta update the maps with the tuner for less of a hit. The bike needs a pipe because it signs off early, probably 3/4 throttle. Then finish it off with new tires. Then I think I'm ready to race. After some fine tuning and some seat time I think I'll really enjoy this bike!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Intermediate Class

I thought about heading over to logroad but decided to wait. Hopefully it will be warmer for the races next weekend!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Expert Class

After the second practice it got sunny out. Temps got up to about 40. I was actually sweating. Great day of riding! You should have went.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Racing, Group Rides, Post Ride Reports