All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - KTM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Beginner Class

Default 1995 ktm 300 mxc!!!

Hey guys i'm new to the forum and just inherited a nice 95 ktm 300 mxc dirt bike and I would like to ask for any help I can get on this bike. Ive had a 95 ktm 300 exc before and it was a basket case. I didn't have it long enough to enjoy it but just got this one and would like to ask if anyone can give me any info on it. I haven't seen much for info in other forums. Seems like alot of info on the 380's more but they're has to be someone out there that is a 300 fan like myself. I'd like to know a few things for starters:
What years are the same as mine (1995)
What are must have upgrades
Are parts still available for this bike?

I just would like to add.. I got this bike from a friend and he had just put a lot of new parts in it. And the bike also came with a ton of extras too. I'd really like to make this a nice bike and bring it back to as new as possible. Are these bikes worth the time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Pro Class

First Welcome to ATM
As for the 300 ,I can't say ,Owned one KTM a 350 2 stroke, Trying to remember yr ?
It was a very ridable bike ment more for Enduro but MXed very well
only reason I got rid of the crank bearing went on lower rod and was gonna
cost more for parts than the bike was worth at the time , But looking back now I should of spent the 1 K and fixed it!
Check with KTM talk and maybe alittle more info
Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSchoolFool393 View Post
First Welcome to ATM
As for the 300 ,I can't say ,Owned one KTM a 350 2 stroke, Trying to remember yr ?
It was a very ridable bike ment more for Enduro but MXed very well
only reason I got rid of the crank bearing went on lower rod and was gonna
cost more for parts than the bike was worth at the time , But looking back now I should of spent the 1 K and fixed it!
Check with KTM talk and maybe alittle more info
Thanks for the tip on ktm talk. I am actually on there too but have not had many responses so I thought I would give this site a try because I saw a few other threads on the 300. I got this bike for a decent price I think. I got the bike and it would start first kick every time but it seemed to load up a bit when I would just tool around the yard with it. But as soon as I opened it up through the gears it would rip nice and hit power band real good all day as long as I would keep it in the power band. I also noticed it would idle fine on cold start up but when I would get it warmed up it wanted to stall after a few seconds of idling. I tried raising the idle with the idle screw and tried messing with the air screw and nothing helped. So I took the carb apart and did a full rebuild kit on it. I bought a JD jetting kit for it and installed it. The carb didn't look all that dirty at all. So I called ktm and they told me to check my reeds. I will post pics of the reeds. They have chips and are pretty beat up. I'm not sure if this was my problem but i'm hoping. I ordered a set of boyesen reeds for it so hopefully those few things I did will help it out. The bike really does get up and go when it's warmed up. I've driven some 250's and this bike runs really good compared to some of the bikes I've ridden. I really like it and I want to keep it if I can. The person who had it before me was really a high maintenance kind of guy. He always put new parts when it needed it and this bike is tight. All new bearings in both wheels and swing arm and suspension link. Suspension is nice and doesn't sag or anything. The brakes work awesome and it's a one kick bike. So I really hope it lasts. He also threw in a bunch of new parts : clutch kit top end gasket kit, new form seals and gaskets for other parts of the bike. I think I got a steal. Will post pics when I can get the approval since i'm new

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Here are some pics of the bike ..

The parts it came with

The reeds

Do you think this was the majority of my issues? I did forget to add that I think I had the fuel mixed a bit rich. I was running it at 32:1. I thought that was a bit rich. I was told to run at least 40:1 - 50:1 after I mixed that last few gallons @ (32:1).. What would you suggest?

Last edited by 95ktm300; 07-02-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Expert Class

I had a 2002 KTM 300EXC. The motor made good smooth power for offroad riding. I sold it though and upgraded to a 94 CR250. I got tired of the high parts costs and overly complicated Austrian engineering. I have found the japanese bikes to much easier to work on and OEM parts significantly less expensive. I ran mine at 40:1 per the manual (which you should get and use for guidance). Based on the condition of those reeds, you are likely due for a top end. May as well throw one in since you said you got one with the bike. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new ride.
JMV
Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
I had a 2002 KTM 300EXC. The motor made good smooth power for offroad riding. I sold it though and upgraded to a 94 CR250. I got tired of the high parts costs and overly complicated Austrian engineering. I have found the japanese bikes to much easier to work on and OEM parts significantly less expensive. I ran mine at 40:1 per the manual (which you should get and use for guidance). Based on the condition of those reeds, you are likely due for a top end. May as well throw one in since you said you got one with the bike. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new ride.
JMV
Thanks jmv, The bike came with a top end gasket kit but did not come with piston and rings. Would u think I would need a piston and ring kit or just new rings? I've never done a top end on anything and I didn't want to take it apart if it wasn't blown. But then again better to prevent it before it happens lol. So you think by looking at the reeds maybe my topend is bad? I have read that there are some difficulties finding the Pistons for the 300 exc but mine is a mxc and I was told the pistons are different. I looked on fleabay and found a lot of piston kits for it but they're different sizes. I know stock bore is 72mm but have seen some kits come with Pistons 71.94, 71.93, and 71.95, piston and ring kits and didn't know what I should get. Maybe I should have someone look at the cylinder and tell me what I need? Can these cylinders be bored? There's a ktm place not far from here that seem to be good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really do like the bike and to me it's worth putting the money into it cause I don't have any other bikes or toys. This is all I have and it runs good other then the other issues I explained. Thanks again for the help guys

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I thought I would also post this link. This is a video of me riding the bike last week. The last ride I really took with it before I started taking it apart.. Let me know what you think. This was a cold start. It hadn't been started in 4 days.. And she started in one kick..
http://youtu.be/CyDj7B3W63I
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Expert Class

I was just saying you are likely due for a piston due to the condition of the reeds. Obviously have a bit of time on them to be that chipped. Leads me to believe the piston is likely due as well. You can take the pipe off and take a look at the piston through the exhaust port. Look for ring blow by and wear on the piston and ID of the cylinder. I typically always do a top end when I buy a new bike just so I know how many hours I have on it. A shattered piston can do serious expensive damage.
Sounds like you need to get yourself a manual to answer the many questions you have. 2 stroke top ends are pretty simple and you should be able to figure it out.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Those are good bikes. Throw a top end and set of reeds at that thing. Everything you are asking about can be found at KTMtalk for sure. A friend had a 300EXC about the year of yours. JD jetting and I think he changed the spring in the powervalve (or whatever it's called in KTM-speak). Forks needed a different shim stack also. The thing was a TRACTOR. A true "3-stroke".
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
I was just saying you are likely due for a piston due to the condition of the reeds. Obviously have a bit of time on them to be that chipped. Leads me to believe the piston is likely due as well. You can take the pipe off and take a look at the piston through the exhaust port. Look for ring blow by and wear on the piston and ID of the cylinder. I typically always do a top end when I buy a new bike just so I know how many hours I have on it. A shattered piston can do serious expensive damage.
Sounds like you need to get yourself a manual to answer the many questions you have. 2 stroke top ends are pretty simple and you should be able to figure it out.
I appreciate the tips. I myself would feel better if it had a new top end on it anyway. Just have to find the right piston for it. Maybe buy a couple sets so I know I have them For the future. This forum is great for help. a lot of other sites don't really talk about older bikes. Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMXRACER 393 View Post
Those are good bikes. Throw a top end and set of reeds at that thing. Everything you are asking about can be found at KTMtalk for sure. A friend had a 300EXC about the year of yours. JD jetting and I think he changed the spring in the powervalve (or whatever it's called in KTM-speak). Forks needed a different shim stack also. The thing was a TRACTOR. A true "3-stroke".
Thanks. I really do like this machine. It pulls me around like nothing and i'm 270 lbs. the suspension really does not say at all and it seems to be setup just right for me. I just want to keep up the maintenance on it and make it last. I just need to find the right piston for it. Ive read up that the exc and the mxc used different Pistons so I want to make sure I get the right one. I will feel much better when it has a fresh top end.

Last edited by 95ktm300; 07-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - KTM